Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
When people download the update in early April when it is available (according to the article).

fatlardo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
So Mac users should benefit as well, assuming ML gets an update right?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
So Mac users should benefit as well, assuming ML gets an update right?

Well, we have the 4000, so why not? And since it is just drivers, it shoud be downloadable right off the Intel website.

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
are drivers os independent or does intel provide the OS drivers?

drivers are OS dependant. The version that should come out is for windows, Im not up to par in how is their relationship with linux, but if it was what I was seeing for that as well.

Regarding OSX, it comes out when apple makes it

fatlardo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
I guess thats what I mean, we probably wont see it unless an update rolls out for ML right?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
drivers are OS dependant. The version that should come out is for windows, Im not up to par in how is their relationship with linux, but if it was what I was seeing for that as well.

Regarding OSX, it comes out when apple makes it

Intel has a good relationship with Apple; why won't they "rework" their drivers to make them updatable in OSX without a software update?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
According to the Intel Driver Page it's windows only.

The HD4000 driver is integrated in ML and Apple will have to release an update themselves.

Shoot. Get ready to wait for 5 months while Apple goes through 13 revisions...again.

I hope they can push it out as soon as possible though. I don't know why they would, though; it would hinder their advertising for the new Haswell iGPU (30% better becomes 20%, for example).

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Here is a screenshot of the past release dates.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-03-29 at 5.14.23 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-03-29 at 5.14.23 PM.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 219

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
If Apple decides the update 4000 drivers are worth it, they will issue an OS update with the new driver. Since OS X is based off of Unix, all the drivers are in the kernel the kernel will need to be updated.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Since OS X is based off of Unix, all the drivers are in the kernel the kernel will need to be updated.

This is not true. Drivers are modules which are loaded into the kernel space. It's not different from how it works in windows.

That said, apple does update drivers as part of an OS x update. They don't usually have separately downloadable drivers. Although, nobody hinders anyone from getting the intel developr docs (it's all free) and writing an open-source driver for OS X. I guess nobody was interested in such a project yet.

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
This is not true. Drivers are modules which are loaded into the kernel space. It's not different from how it works in windows.

That said, apple does update drivers as part of an OS x update. They don't usually have separately downloadable drivers. Although, nobody hinders anyone from getting the intel developr docs (it's all free) and writing an open-source driver for OS X. I guess nobody was interested in such a project yet.

nope and I hardly think it will be relevant until intel gets a much better gpu

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO

You are correct, I know this. My aim was that for *ix systems, drivers are kernel based. It is not like windows where you can go get the .exe driver and double click it.

I think Apple kernel modules are referred to as kexts (Kernel Extensions) by using a kext utility like the Hackintosh folks do.

In Linux they are commands like lsmod, rmmod and you can blacklist certain modules from loading.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
You are correct, I know this. My aim was that for *ix systems, drivers are kernel based. It is not like windows where you can go get the .exe driver and double click it.

But its really the same thing. In windows, drivers are special binaries loaded into the kernel, in OS X and Linux its the same. OS X may call its drivers 'Kernel Extensions', but the way it works is really almost the same. The Windows .exe driver file is just an installer which copies the modules into the appropriate location and configures the OS to load them. One could easily distribute a driver for OS X in the same way (using a pkg installer) - and this is what people actually do if they want to introduce additional functionality to the OS X kernel. The only reason why you don't usually deal with drivers on OS X is because it already comes prepackaged with virtually everything you need. And its also more user-friendly than Windows in that regard, hiding the concept of the 'driver' far enough that the average user doesn't need to worry about it.

BTW, Nvidia has custom OS X drivers for some of their professional GPUs

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Intel 4000 isn't that bad at all. I am able to play SimCity in Boot Camp windows running at 1920x1200 with 35+ FPS. I had issues on my nVidia 330M playing at 1680x1050, got less FPS then an Intel Integrated graphics.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Intel 4000 isn't that bad at all. I am able to play SimCity in Boot Camp windows running at 1920x1200 with 35+ FPS. I had issues on my nVidia 330M playing at 1680x1050, got less FPS then an Intel Integrated graphics.

What settings do you play it at to achieve those frames?

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
In low settings the HD 4000 does really quite well especially against older chips and AMD APUs because it is supported by a fast CPU. When you go to medium/high settings its performance drops realtively much more.
It still remains a very useful GPU because it is good enough where it is of any use at all. It totally fails at higher settings but even if it did as well as some APUs and not drop quite that low it would still not reach anything playable. Whether you get 15 or 7 fps doesn't really matter.

Intel delivered the most useful thing possible in that low end with little energy use and die space use.

@op This thread seems slightly pointless given that Apple handles their GPU drivers entirely independent of Windows versions. Up to 10% is also not very much given that usually AMD and Nvidia claim up to 30 or 50% at times with new drivers.
Newsworthy would be when Apple actually got around to open up quick sync so Handbrake for Mac could use it like the Windows version can.
http://anandtech.com/show/6864/handbrake-to-get-quicksync-support
That would work wonders and speed things up multiple times.
Apple doesn't do that though. They lack acceleration and openesss for so many more modern hardware instruction sets it is a schame. Sometimes they use it in their own products like facetime with Quicksync but don't allow any other apps to make use of it by opening the damn thing up.

Given all these complete failures in GPU driver support, I wouldn't hold my breath for a "up to 10%" driver update for Intel HD 4000.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.