Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
How dare intel make progress! Its just awful, a pentium 4 was fast enough for everyone.

Yeah and when Apple makes progress you guys talk crap and say they have some nerve making profits. :rolleyes:

----------

<sarcasm>

I agree, Intel should stop making their CPU's and GPU's faster.

</sarcasm>

Yeah, and thanks for missing the point.

----------

Unless you'd prefer they released new chips every 2 years, meaning you're paying 2013 prices for 2011 hardware? Now that's the Apple mentality. ;)

And yet you have a shiny Macbook Pro in your sig. ;)

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
Oh great, so Intel integrated GPUs will now be just 80% slower than a dedicated AMD/Nvidia one instead of 90%!

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
Exciting to see IGP being beef'ed up. I remember the ol' GMA 950 days. It was there to display a screen, nothing more.

Dedicated GPU's are always the way to go if your spending more then $800 on a machine, but one day IGP will be damn good, meaning you wont have to spend that $800.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I just want to know which one the MacBook Air is getting. That chart is confusing.
The new graphics options consist of three primary levels: an Intel HD Graphics 5000 to be packaged as part of 15-watt chips destined for ultrabooks, an Intel "Iris" Graphics 5100 to be paired with 28-watt mid-range chips targeted at larger ultrabooks, and an Intel "Iris Pro" Graphics 5200 for the highest-power chips.

AnandTech has more, highlighting how ultrabooks, which would include Apple's MacBook Air, will see a lesser but still significant boost in graphics performance with Intel HD Graphics 5000.
Or in other words: Read the article!

Thanks!

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
So we know the total package (CPU+GPU) will be faster. But will it run cooler (and thus quieter) at the same time? My current 2011 15" MBP is so quick to rev it's fans, it's really put me off.

That's the biggest selling point for me.

Should be a big win for mobile. The energy requirements are much lower, and the efficiency much higher so I would assume that it will run much cooler.

Also, with the increased graphics performance the need for a dedicated graphics card should be much less, and those are huge power hogs.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
What?.. a tower using an integrated graphics chip instead of a dedicated video card?

Talk about killing off the MacPro..

Sorry that came out wrong. Nope I wouldn't want integrated graphics you are absolutely right.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Well this is interesting news. Now we know that if the MBA did get a Retina screen, the difference between the 13" RMBA and 13" RMBP would consist of the MBA having HD 5000 and the MBP having the HD 5100. But given that Intel isn't calling the HD 5000 an "Iris" chip, it goes to reason we might not see Retina screens in the MBA line up this year as Intel isn't confident they are powerful enough for Retina resolutions.

On the flip side, since the HD 5000 is faster than the HD 4000, and that was enough for Retina screens, a RMBA should be feasible.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Yes, to use it when the dedicated one is not needed and saving a lot of power and heat

You couldn't do that with a desktop. A GPU is an actual card that gets installed in one of the slots. The iGPU would have a separate connection coming off the motherboard/Logic board. Meaning, you would have to physically unplug the video card and plug it into the iGPU port. Also I think once you install a GPU it overrides the iGPU though I'm not 100% sure about that.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Blah blah blah, every year Intel produces a new CPU that's suppose to be faster and more efficient, as if the previous one was slow as molasses and every year people here fall for it and get in the mood of "Gotta have it, Gotta have it". And people say that Apple is the one trying to make all sorts of profits. ;)

Well I'm still on a 2010 MBA if that makes you feel better.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I was only referring to the i7 been a good starting point, but I would want dedicated graphics.

Id love to see a cheaper i7 mac pro too. They could replace the single chip versions with the i7 and still offer the duel chip xeons on higher end models.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
You couldn't do that with a desktop. A GPU is an actual card that gets installed in one of the slots. The iGPU would have a separate connection coming off the motherboard/Logic board. Meaning, you would have to physically unplug the video card and plug it into the iGPU port. Also I think once you install a GPU it overrides the iGPU though I'm not 100% sure about that.

Yes, you can do that on a desktop, at least on PCs you can. It's called Virtu MVP

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

Yes, you can actually do with Virtu MVP, the dedicated card doen´t use any power when it is not needed

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-express-virtu-mvp-benchmark,3174-2.html

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
And you come here and talk crap when intel do the same. Good job.

Why don't you take a little time and learn to read rather than coming at me with nonsense. It's unfortunate that some people here need to spoken to in laymen's terms. :rolleyes:.
The point I was making is that there generally isn't enough difference year after year with CPU's and year after year people complain that their Mac is hot, overheating, boiling or whatever. Then the rest of the people say well, your Mac is running slow because you need to add an SSD or Fusion drive.
Oh? I thought the whole point of getting the latest and greatest CPU was to give more efficient performance, cooler running and faster processing.
Results always end up nominal, yet people pretend that Intel is reinventing the wheel every year.

Apple's computers don't necessarily have to have the entire package with a major upgrade since there are many factors that make up computers but when we're talking about a CPU the upgrades each year should be significant.
And BTW don't talk to me that way. I didn't talk to you that way, I made generalization. Keep your direct comments to yourself. :rolleyes:

JCsHands2

macrumors member
May 2, 2013
Exciting to see IGP being beef'ed up. I remember the ol' GMA 950 days. It was there to display a screen, nothing more.

Dedicated GPU's are always the way to go if your spending more then $800 on a machine, but one day IGP will be damn good, meaning you wont have to spend that $800.

$800? I would put a dedicated GPU in anything costing more than $300. :cool: That being said my rMBP runs on the 4000 most of the day and works great. I don't ever see a day where the IGP is comparable to a GPU, but for most daily tasks it seems to work just fine.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Oh great, so Intel integrated GPUs will now be just 80% slower than a dedicated AMD/Nvidia one instead of 90%!

When talking about integrated graphics, I can't help but think that if GPU performance matters to you, you don't want integrated graphics.

It would be like talking about racing turtles or something. :p

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Blah blah blah, every year Intel produces a new CPU that's suppose to be faster and more efficient, as if the previous one was slow as molasses and every year people here fall for it and get in the mood of "Gotta have it, Gotta have it". And people say that Apple is the one trying to make all sorts of profits. ;)

Come on now, we all know Apple's profit margins are higher.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Well, that seals it for me. Rmbp 13 inch will get the iris and 2-3 times graphics boost is worth the wait for updated rmbp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.