Intel to deliver Nehalem and six-core Xeon processor this year

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Play4keeps, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I will be purchasing this instead of Penryn if I am selected for the Taylor Freshman Irish Studies Program. There's no sense in buying over the summer when I can't lug a Mac Pro to Ireland! :D (<notice he's green)

If I'm selected, I'll be able to get Nehalem.

3.8Ghz 12 core Mac Pro.

Excuse me while I drool on my boss' computer. (Internship; he ONLY uses Macs... except his topographer is forced to run Windows 98. Anyone know of a topographer or OCT machine that runs OS X? He's in the market... :p)

2. TheThirdMan macrumors regular

TheThirdMan

From what ive heard, that wont be out till at least the very end of this year, if not later, and then its usually 2 or 3 months for dell, apple and co to make a computer with one, so you could be looking at over a year to wait...

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The article says "ship in the second half". That's good enough for me. July to December release date. If the processor is released early enough, we could see Nehalem Mac Pros in 2008. Worse comes to worse, they're released in December and we see Nehalem Mac Pros in January. I can rough it through J-term with only my iBook if they're released quickly enough.

For me, it hinges on Ireland. If I go to Ireland, I get a maxed-out Nehalem. If I don't... I suppose I could even trudge through the first semester with only a G3 iBook...

4. yomibro macrumors regular

Wonder what the price increase will be for the base model now?

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Damn... Just when I was ready to take the plunge and replace my 1st gen Mac Pro... :confused:

6. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Woah. That machine is going to be insane. But I am extremely happy with what I got now for a long time. I will purchase the machine after the next one or two.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The headline puts things into the wrong order.

Intel is planning on delivering a six core Xeon processor, based on the Penryn technology. This will likely be the last Penryn-based server chip. There are six cores, with 3MB shared L2 cache per pair of two cores (total 9MB) and 16MB L3 cache shared between all six cores. It should be possible for Apple to use this chip in a MacPro without any significant redesign of the hardware to produce either a six core or 12 core Mac Pro.

After that, Nehalem is the very first Intel chip based on a new Intel processor architecture. Everything that we have seen in Intel-based Macs has been Core architecture; from the first Core Duo and Core Solo chip to the latest Penryns. Using a Nehalem processor will mean a significant hardware redesign, but also significant performance improvements at the same clock speed and the same number of cores.

8. Play4keeps thread starter macrumors regular

Using my iPhone to post from feels kindsa cheap
    anyway that would be one sweet machine 12 to 16
    cores 64gigs of ram:eek:

9. big dainjerus macrumors regular

maybe this is why the early 08 mac pro has mad problems, they were paying too much attention to the future.

10. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

That's incredible.

Maybe when they're released I'll finally have an excuse to replace my dual 2.66...

11. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Lol.. 16 isn't a multiple of 6.

*blinks* Finally? It's been what.. a year?

I almost want to doubt Apple would release a 12-core machine.. but then again, I suppose they might. It just seems like complete and utter overkill to me, I dunno.

Hmm. Integrated mem controller.. sounds good. Helped AMD.

12 cores... hahhahahaha hyperthreading sounds so funny in retrospect.

12. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Didnt intel bomb the Pentium 4 with its hyperthreading? I just hope this doesnt happen with the Nehalem and only shows a small increase in speed.

13. Play4keeps thread starter macrumors regular

2 octo cpu's would be 16 cores:confused:

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

12 processor cores?! That's ridiculous!
    And 640KB should be enough for anyone.

Actually, 12 cores is kinda silly for most people I'd imagine. What would be nice is a 4-core iMac, however.

15. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

What's the point when the software is still unable to use what we have now in the Mac Pro?
    I figure that in the next few years as they finally get around to making software that can exploit the amount of cores and ram in my Mac Pro I will see real performance increases from my hardware without having to upgrade it.

16. 330toSRT8 macrumors member

Anyone who multitasks can take advantage of many cores. At any given time there are tons of processes running just for the OS and then whatever software you run such as antivirus, Safari, Photoshop, virtual machines, iMail, etc.

17. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Put me on the list for that sucker sounds powerful imagine doing anything on that and how fast anything would be done. Boy that would make rendering fast.

18. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

Ughhh, you might want to take a quick look at how Apple and every other PC manufacture historically realese new products. You won't see the Nahelem in any Mac's until 2009.

19. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I think at some point you reach diminishing returns. Really, 12 cores? What's the point when 99% of your apps are not optimized? Sure, maybe Apple's pro apps will take advantage, but is it worth it?

I know, I know....it's not worth it to me. But it may be worth it to you. Be gentle, OK?

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It all depends on when in the second half of 2008 Nehalem is released. If it's, say, August, then we could easily see Nehalem Mac Pros by year's end. If it's December, then February'll bring the sweet FSB-less goodness.

21. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

...then Westmere a few months later... and then Sandy Bridge.

22. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, you're right. I'd better wait for Sandy Bridge instead. :p My 800Mhz G3 iBook should last me through college until it comes out, right?:D

23. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Suuuure it will, just don't expect it to do anything.

24. bigwig macrumors 6502a

Yes, but Westmere is only a shrink, and it should be a year after Nehalem, not a few months. I think you get the best bang for your computing dollar buying in the new architecture phase of Intel's "tick tock" strategy, rather than buying in the shrink phase.