Intel Unveils Nehalem-EX Octal-Core Server CPU

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Axemantitan, May 26, 2009.

1. Axemantitan macrumors 6502

http://hothardware.com/News/Intel-Unveils-NehalemEX-OctalCore-Server-CPU/

Perhaps the next Mac Pro CPU in a few months?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Absolutely not. If I am not mistaken, this is Beckton.

Apple does not use the 7xxx series whatsoever. The Mac Pro will not be updated until next year. It has only been THREE MONTHS.

The average Mac Pro update time is a year and a quarter.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

NO. It's the Beckton processor, and would likely be listed as the Xeon 7500 series. Given their recent history anyway. ;)

Unfortunately, it won't work in anything Apple builds, as it uses a different socket (LGA 1567). And given the pricing of this level of part, it never will. :eek: :p

5. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Apple would need to introduce an Xserve Beast :eek:

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I dunno, they feel justified in charging $6k now. Why not $9k for 16 physical cores?

Also They made the design decision to go with a daughter card for a reason. Maybe different sockets are the reason? So I wouldn't rule it out completely even tho I think you're probably right.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Somehow, I think $9K USD would be too low, given Apple's recent pricing. :D :p

That, and I seriously wonder if they could even fit them into the current case. :confused:

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Probably not. 8 RAM slots and the required heatsinking for dual X5570s more or less completely fill that tunnel, don't they? And I can only assume these things run much hotter, and there's 4 of them? Seriously, where do they put the heatsinking? It'll be back to the PMG5 thing with 4 120mm fans just for CPU cooling.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

IIRC, the daughter board also carries the chipset. Just not enough real estate IMO. Perhaps a single could be fit, but what's the point, when a DP Nehalem will do the same job for less cash. ;)

If a pair could be shoe horned in, I do think heat would be a major issue as well. Either additional fans would have to be squeezed in, or the existing units swapped out for those capable of higher CFM. Making a racket that might drive someone totally nutz. :p

10. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

They could have two CPUs share a liquid cooling system, that worked out great for Apple before.

11. MrZebra macrumors regular

Are you referring to the powermac G5 qwuad with liquid colling system? I wouldn't call that a complete success.

12. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

13. MrZebra macrumors regular

Sorry It didn't come accross as such especially because there have been a lot of people in denial of the quad powermac defects on these boards :)

14. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

G5 quads were never liquid cooled. Apple had liquid cooling on the mid range and top model of the 970FX prozessors. Those were all machines with two single core CPUs. By the time the 970MP with two cores hit the market (late 2005) Apple had gone away from liquid cooling due to reliability issues. The philosophy has also changed. They were keeping frequencies between 2-3 GHz and pushed performace by parallelism and smaller nano structuring.

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

So I did read your post correctly! :D Well done. ;)

16. Axemantitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Why do people on this forum feel that they have the right to shut people down when they disagree with them? A bold "no" is not the most diplomatic response. It is abrasive and condescending. That is not the proper way to treat people if you want constructive discussion and growth of these forums. This sort of behavior is pretty common on here and I am pretty sick of it.

17. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Incorrect. ALL 2.5ghz and 2.7GHZ machines from all generations used liquid cooling.

Here is the dual 2.5GHZ
    [​IMG]

Here is the early dual 2.7ghz unit.
    [​IMG]

Here is the later dual 2.7ghz unit.
    [​IMG]

Here is the quad 2.5GHz.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

I apologize if you took it the wrong way, but this has come up before. Prior, and post the release of the '09 MP's. A search of the forum would have given you an answer, though it would likely have taken a little time.

19. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah, if people would search first about two thirds of the posts here would never occur - including this one. :D

Anyway those images are cool. I had read about Apple's WC but that's the 1st I've seen it. That's awesome! Apple did THAT? Kewl! Maybe they will do that in the future too?

But do the 8-core chips really need it? They are xeon parts after all.'