Intel X25-M G2 (Un)Availability

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by desenso, Aug 26, 2009.

1. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Background: There are a number of threads that discuss the performance, quality, and compatibility of the Intel X25-M with the Mac Pro. However, in early August, Intel stopped shipping its newest second generation drives because of a firmware bug involving BIOS passwords. Although it apparently fixed the bug and resumed shipments around August 12, the drives currently remain out of stock at major electronics websites (Newegg, ZipZoomFly, Amazon, Buy.com). In my search, only CostCentral has intermittently stocked the 160GB version in recent days.

As I'm sure there are several users on these forums waiting to purchase the drive, perhaps we could use this thread to track the availability of the drives. Accordingly, let's try to keep debates about the value or desirability of the drive out of this thread.

Manufacturer Part Numbers:
    80GB drive: SSDSA2MH080G2C1
    160GB drive: SSDSA2MH160G2C1

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

in Germany most online order suppliers show stock of both types 80 and 160 GB but they seem to have only single digit numbers on stock. Big online retailers like Alternate show them ready for shipment in 48 hours.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

OP On August 21st Newegg.com was selling the G2 160 GB. I checked Newegg.com at 9 PM EST. By 2 AM EST they were sold out. Before that at 3 PM EST newegg.com had not been selling them so it is safe to say between 3 and 9 pm EST the drives went on sale and lasted 6 hours.

4. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

And, thanks to you jessica., my 160GB X25-M G2 from Newegg was delivered today. Now I am just waiting for Snow Leopard.

Hickman

5. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I think Intel has taken advantage of this opportunity to fully deplete stocks of the G1 drives. It seems the G2 is starting to pop up in some channels but never for long. Perhaps next week?

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Super Teh jessica. to the rescue *woooooosh*

7. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

newegg out again!

wow. this drive is selling like mad or stock is ultra low (or both)...

i got notified this afternoon of the 160GB gen 2 drive from newegg. I immediately purchased it. That was at 2:05 PM PST. Now at 3:33 PM PST is already out of stock.. geez I am happy on jumped on it when I did :p

8. desenso thread starter macrumors 6502a

desenso

Could be. Whatever the reason, Intel's speed on this one is frustrating, given that they apparently fixed the issue over two weeks ago.

9. Dreamail macrumors 6502

Maybe the yields of the new fabrication process aren't as good as Intel had hoped?

Or perhaps most drives produced currently go to OEMs.
    I can see Intel having contract obligations to deliver certain numbers to OEMs. With the driver disaster Intel amassed delivery backlocks to these OEMs - now catching up faster by diverting stock.

10. desenso thread starter macrumors 6502a

desenso

Could well be. I wonder which laptops are currently offered with the G2.

11. desenso thread starter macrumors 6502a

desenso

Update:

Received an email from Newegg at 5:37pm EST today stating that the 80GB was in stock. Immediately went to the website but the item was either never in stock, or it was already sold out.

12. spike8585 macrumors member

I found a website based out of Alberta, and I e-mailed them to see when they would get them in. He told me that they aren't expecting any until October 2nd, and that they are only expecting 5 of them.
    He then told me that he has access to 2 of them through an alternative distributor who usually has stock of hard to find items, but the charge more.
    He told me it was going to cost $550.00 for the drive plus 15 bucks shipping + 15% tax...thats $650.00!!! I wasnt sure I wanted to spend that much so I told him I would think about it and get back to him.
    I decided to take the leap, after looking everywhere in Canada and not finding one. Wrote him 30 min later. Sold Out!!!

I am currently kicking myself...

We are looking in Canada too...anyone with Canadian leads, please post here too.

13. desenso thread starter macrumors 6502a

desenso

Yikes! That's crazy. I got another email from Newegg.. once again, they were instantly out of stock, and the price for the 80GB has gone up to $279! That's a $50 increase over the price from a few weeks ago.

Hard to tell what the hell the deal is with these, but it's getting frustrating. Going to start looking into alternatives.. perhaps even a first gen drive, though it's a bit grating to reward Intel for these shenanigans.

14. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Well, Amazon has them in stock for $320 if you really want one that badly.

I'll wait for the frenzy to subside and the price to drift back to $225.

15. desenso thread starter macrumors 6502a

desenso

Saw that too, but the in stock listing on Amazon is by Electronica Direct. I've seen some complaints about this company claiming to have things in stock when in fact they don't. Don't really care to roll the dice on them, especially at that price, like you say.

16. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Just picked up SL yesterday. It's already 2 weeks I've been waiting for the 80GB version to become available on Newegg.ca since I live in Canada and it still isn't. Now I see the Gen 1's price has gone up 234.99$ CAD to 255.00$ CAD. What is going on ?

17. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Yet another change... in the past half hour the 80GB Gen 1. on newegg (CANADA) has gone up from 255$ to 266$!!! :confused:

18. desenso thread starter macrumors 6502a

desenso

The price has been steadily climbing on the US site as well.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The 160 has seen one price jump from $449 to $499. :rolleyes: That's bullsh*t if you ask me.

20. ventro macrumors 6502a

Now at $279... lame.

21. spike8585 macrumors member

What is the MSRP in CAD for the 160gb. I dont know if I want to pre-order one at $529.99 CAD + $10.00 (express shipping). They are only charging fed tax to quebec though, so its only 5% vs. 15%. I think it might make it worth while. ($27.00 (5%) vs $81.00 (15%)) I think the savings in tax make it worth while, rather than waiting for it at $499.99 or something.
    What do you guys think? Any word on the MSRP in Canada?

PS. I am waiting to get an ETA on the drives, and I will post that when I know. He tells me that he wont be able to ask the Purchasing dept for ETA until Monday (Aug 31st).

22. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Well, early adopters always pay a premium price. Not that patience is easy.

23. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Newegg is notorious for increasing prices of items that are in high demand and short supply. Wait a week or two for things to stabilize and you will get a much better deal.

24. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I don't even know how to tell the difference between the G1 and G2.

Is the G2 the white one?

25. Rainier42 macrumors member

Along with this question, what's the performance difference between the G1 and G2?