Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Everything is moving to 3D. Then to 4D for full time displacement technology.

This will be required if we are going to send back Reese. :)

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
Most important is what this move prevents...

Per socket power limitations had already prevented Intel from doubling the amount of cores each year (8-core and 16-cores should have been common by now.) Publicly, Intel had already announced an alternate strategy of adding 2 cores per generation instead of doubling. This technology move will allow at least one more doubling of the amount of cores, because they can run at half the power. So you could either get a laptop with 8-cores, or an integrated GPU that isn't so bad...

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
Very very cool. :cool:
But where are the holographic transistors?
Crosseyed.gif

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Phew that was close. I almost wanted to buy a new iMac to replace my late-2009 model, but now I have an excuse to wait for 2012. Good thing the world is ending in 2012 so I don't have to worry about what is coming in 2013.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Video lighting

Haha that video was awesome :)

What's interesting about the video is that in the closeup shots, the shadows on his face show the key lighting coming from his left side. For the distance shots, the shadow from the key light shows the light to be directly in front of him. I think the lighting director doesn't have a clue as to what he's doing.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Yes!!! I knew i should wait with my mbp upgrade. Cant wait for the next gen mbp witn the redesign, with this revolutuonary tech its shurely to happen.

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Why does Intel announce a technique that we wont be able to buy for at least 7 month?
Would it not have been better for Intel to have Jobs introducing the new revolutionary Macbook pro with Intel "insert Apple hype word" when the chips are ready?

Intels only hope for survival is that they are 5 years ahead of competition in manufacturing.

Lets hope that GloFo and ARM have something up their sleeves.

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010
Looks like a nice video, LOL - I had to watch it with the sound off because there's an exam going on in this room.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Why does Intel announce a technique that we wont be able to buy for at least 7 month?
Would it not have been better for Intel to have Jobs introducing the new revolutionary Macbook pro with Intel "insert Apple hype word" when the chips are ready?

Intels only hope for survival is that they are 5 years ahead of competition in manufacturing.

Lets hope that GloFo and ARM have something up their sleeves.

there is a rumor that intel is going to manufacture apple's next SoC and is trying to win a lot of Soc manufacturing business. i bet they are licensing this tech to others as long as they use intel to manufacture the chips

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Being able to produce something at those scales is truly mind blowing.

Infinite largeness coexists with infinite smallness.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Yet another good reason to not buy the current lineup of Macs (lack of USB3 standard that should appear in Ivy Bridge as well being the other one). Now if only Intel could utilize those 3D transistors to make their pitiful graphics adapters faster.... ;)

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Late 2011 in Macs would be welcome. I wonder if this tech. will water down quickly into the processors for iPhones/iPads/etc. It's always amazing to me how they make faster equipment that uses less electricity. Soon, we will truly be able to power an AI personality with a potato while waiting to do a core transplant.

Looks like a nice video, LOL - I had to watch it with the sound off because there's an exam going on in this room.

Anal exam?

greekappi

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

My question is when will this make it into Mac Pros? I've been waiting to get a new Mac Pro for over a year now. Still on my PowerMac Dual 2 GHz G5. I will see a huge improvement if I upgrade now of course, but I want to really buy at the right time. 7+ years now for my machine and it's done me very well. I want a repeat of that.

So when do Mac Pros get this new 3D hotness? Aren't they still on Westmere? Will we see a Mac Pro upgrade soon to Sandy Bridge? Shall I get that or wait for Ivy Bridge?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Thus keeping Moores Law valid. The next MacBook Pro, with this and a redesigned body will be awesome.

Good luck on that redesigned body bit. We still have another three and a half more years before we will have had this body style as long as we had the previous. And really, no one, aside from a select minority on these forums, dislikes what we have now.

vampyren

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
Settles it for me. I'm waiting for Ivy Bridge. Because you know, I want the latest technology, not because I can't afford a new computer for another 6 months...:p

Same here but you do realize that by the time this is out in a product there will be better stuff around the corner as always.

Any way i think i will buy some Intel stocks :D this seems to be a important step in technology.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Phew that was close. I almost wanted to buy a new iMac to replace my late-2009 model, but now I have an excuse to wait for 2012. Good thing the world is ending in 2012 so I don't have to worry about what is coming in 2013.

But if that won't happen, Intel may just announce the breakthrough 4D transistors in 2012, to be available in 2013. What then? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.