Interesting Android vs. iOS article

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CosmoPilot, Feb 15, 2011.

1. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

2. aneftp macrumors 601

Windows 7 and Microsoft's billions to fund it will be around making it a 3 horse race especially with Nokia coming on board in 2012.

The problem with Android is their possible patent infringements. One of the many reason Nokia went with Microsoft.

I think RIM will be the one who needs to find a dance partner soon.

Just remember the Palm Treos were the best selling smartphones up till 2006 and Palm ended up getting brought out in 2010.

Things change very quickly on the mobile world.

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Apple has potential problems too, with Nokia claiming Apple hasn't paid their share of GSM and WiFi patent royalties. If/when Nokia wins something, watchers expect Sony-Ericsson to pile on as well.

Could be. RIM is still nicely entrenched in the enterprise, but over half their sales now come from regular consumers.

4. Savor Suspended

Savor

QNX has the nicest OS out there.

And it won't be a two-horse race once Nokia starts bringing WP7 phones. Nokia is the most coveted OEM to have. Google and Microsoft went through a bidding war to have Nokia on their side. They sold over 100M Symbian phones all over the world last year. They may not be big here in the higher-end, but Nokia still dominates in Europe, Asia, and Africa. They can take WP7 to #2 in 18 months. Android was not even big until Motorola and Verizon started to push it in late 2009 with the Droid ads. Then Android grew by 10x the next year and still didn't catch Nokia in volume sales.

Microsoft + Nokia = shotgun marriage

But the rich American hubby has the most prized Scandinavian wife of them all that does all the chores at home. The wife that is the bigger star over the husband.

5. evanrousso macrumors 6502

I played with a friend's WP7 phone today and I was very impressed with how nice it was for a gen 1 OS. I am good for an upgrade in March and I am going to wait to see what Apple does with iPhone 5 before I make a decision but I am seriously considering a WP7 handset.

I am not even looking at Android. I would go back to RIM before I went Android. I used an Android phone for a few months before getting my iPhone and had a terrible experience. Awful battery life, the apps sucked, and poor hardware design (I had an original Droid).

For my money WP7 is the only worthy opponent to iOS.

Just my two cents.

6. kre62 macrumors 68000

I agree with you, for me Android just isnt even in the game. If I switch from iOS, it'll most likely be WinPhone7 or maybe WebOS. Android just feels like a cheap stitched-together indian knockoff OS, not to mention Google wants your user data and soul.

7. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

For now. My place of employment is basically dumping RIM for iPhones and iPads. Well, "dumping" is a harsh word. More like its now preferentially supporting iPhones and iPads, but if you still want to use a Blackberry, well, that's OK, too.

They've just granted full Exchange access (email, directory, calendar) and secure wifi access to iPads and iPhones. They've never given protected wifi network access to personal devices before. Even Blackberrys, while they get BES access, don't get wifi privileges.

8. CosmoPilot, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011

CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Understand your point...but your missing the point. Smartphones are on the rise. The simple inexpensive Nokia handets are declining. This "powerhouse" with Microsoft isn't as material as you might believe. Microsoft is a major corporation. The Nokia deal just locks in a manufacturer...this in no way guarantees a 3-horse race. In order to make headway on Android and iOS, Microsoft needs the ecosystem and developer support. Without it, consumers will not choose it. This was Palm's undoing with WebOS. While very capable, the ecosystem couldn't complete. Unlike Palm, Microsoft's is able to weather the storm because of its other business products carrying the weight while the OS and ecosystem develop. However, I would never count Microsoft out.

Take my personal experience for example. Family of 4...two younger children, each with an iPhone/iTouch. They've invested alot of mom and dad's money in apps, music, movies, books, etc. When they get older, they'll want to take that with them. They will more than likely find it hard to abandon the Apple ecosystem because of whats invested in it. I'm not saying they won't, but they probably won't. Now, how many other families are like this? How many more families are getting to this point with the iPad...and now the Verizon iPhone? How many have bought Macs due to the halo effect of Apple products, and now have immersed themselves in the ecosystem? It's easy to leave a particular phone/device. It is entirely different to leave the actual ecosystem.

Cosmo

9. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

..And Apple doesn't? Google doesn't know my credit card number. I bet that Apple knows yours, though.

I don't have to use my gmail account for anything other than logging into the phone. All contacts and email can be sync'ed to the device where it never touches google's cloud. I have a widget that lets me turn my GPS reciever off and I can decline to let google datamine my phone's current location.

Furthermore, I don't have to load any market apps (I can get them off the web, or from a microSD card), and I can rewrite the entire friggin OS to just make phone calls and play scrabble if I want.

In short, Google only gets what information i want them to have.

Apple has your financial information, phone number, keeps track of ALL your apps and basically collects as much data as google without giving you the choice to opt out.

Its fine to have a preference as far as phones, but get your facts straight. Apple is doing the same thing google is... google just happens to be better at it (and gives you a chance to opt out even if you use their devices).

10. kre62 macrumors 68000

I trust iTunes with my credit card info for making purchases. I don't trust Google at all. Theres a reason their products are "free". Besides, thats like #199 on my list of why I don't like Android.

11. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Interesting on different peoples tastes. I tried a Windows 7 a few times and i just didnt like it. Granted i would have to spend probably a week with one to get accustomed but the few times i messed with one with people i know having one, it just didnt appeal to me at all.
    I love my Android but im also using custom ROMs that are fast and get good battery life. So easy to root and customize.
    Most days with my usual use i get 18.5 hours with 21 to 29% battery life left before i turn in for the night and charge it up over night.
    2.1 wasnt bad but it isnt near as good as the custom 2.2 ROMs. I figure Gingerbread will be even better with the dual cores.

Anything before 2.1 i can see why you wouldnt like Android. I havent used an iPhone since 3.1.2 firmware since i didnt get an iP4. BTW..it was announced yesterday that Apple is Samsungs biggest customer w/ 7.8 billion in contracts for parts in Apples devices....for those that say they dont like Samsung.

12. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Makes perfect sense :rolleyes:

13. hayesk macrumors 65816

Putting in rolly eyes doesn't make your argument for you. There's no evidence that Apple uses your credit card info for anything other than charging you for purchases. I trust Apple more than Google because I pay them to provide a service. Google offers it for free - they aren't doing it to be nice - they are using your data to make money. Apple doesn't - because I pay them instead.

14. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

It was just as good as your argument. Google doesnt use it for anything else either and if i want to, i can charge things from the Market to my T-Mobile account and not even use Google.
    So tell me how Google is making money off me? Im not getting anything for free from them that you arent.

And FYI, MobileMe is in the works to be a free service here soon so i guess since it will be free, they will be making money off you? Is that how it works?...LOL

15. kre62 macrumors 68000

++

Logic....it's useful

16. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Yes...it does....there are no apps that cost money on the Android Market because the developers know no one ever spends money on that market - they don't trust Google with their credit card. I know I didn't. The ONE app i actually deemed worth my money (an alternate keyboard, because the google one was ridiculously ******) I charged to my phone account because I didn't trust google.

17. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

I think you're missing out on a lot of convenience that cloud services offer you. I think that maybe you're being overly paranoid, but I can understand where you are coming from.

18. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Um no, there are several Apps that cost money and they have many good ones that Apple has. I dont know when the last time you used the market but they have well over 100,000 of them now. Ive bought some by having it charged to my T-Mobile account and ive bought a few using my card too. Never had a problem and you can still get refunded if you want.

They also have Swiftkey which is the best keyboard there is. Something Apple will never have because Steve dont want you to.

19. kre62 macrumors 68000

Glad you like your android phone. With an extended battery I'm sure it'll make it to 4PM. The price you pay for that open, jerky, unresponsive goodness.

20. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I guess you didnt read what i posted already about the battery life im getting. I dont know, you guys keep posting stuff that isnt true. I guess the EVO gets crappy battery life, but i dont have an EVO. So once again.....my phone is on 18.5 hours on average with my usage and i still have 20 to 29% left when i turn in and plug it in to charge it up over night. Its been on a little over 15 hours today and ive got 24% left.

So if you didnt get that, i dont know what to say. Dont know what you had or what version firmware you were on. i Phone works for you are your needs and Android works for mine.
    I like my open source and ability to use different Operating system ROM's, try different modems, camera settings, different style keyboards like Swype and Swiftkey and 3 others i have, numerous notifications for everything, etc while you cant but if you dont care....good on ya. As long as your happy.
    Why do you care if anybody else is happy with a different phone?

21. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

22. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Actually, I just got an extended battery for my Vibrant this week. I charged it up and put it in at 7AM yesterday. 25 hours later under moderate use (surfing the web, IM sessions, phone calls, checking weather, etc) I am at 49%. (a predicted) 48 hours with moderate use is ok with me.

The battery life in the iPhone4 is certainly better than the stock battery on Android phones, but being able to swap in a new a battery and boot in less than 30 seconds is an ok substitute (especially if you're on the move a lot and won't have access to chargers).

23. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

You can achieve the same result with an iPhone with a portable charger, or a case-cum-extended battery, many of which exist. And you don't even have to reboot! :D

The only real issue with the non-user-swappable battery is if the battery fails or ages, which is not a day-to-day issue.

And, as you say, stock battery life is better with an iPhone.

24. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Actually, I don't trust iTunes with my credit card info at all. They used to have it, and after my account was hacked for the second time and over $500 worth of apps/music was purchased without my consent, I deleted my credit card info from them. The thing I learned about Apple in dealing with my credit card company in getting the charges reversed was that the credit card companies have been basically begging Apple to strengthen their iTunes account security, because they (credit card companies) have many reversed charges due to hacked iTunes accounts each week. Talked to 3 different people within my credit card company that talked about iTunes accounts having one of the worst reputations for keeping iTunes account info secure.