Interesting AppleCare Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kruv, May 25, 2010.

1. kruv macrumors newbie

Hello

I purchased my macbook secondhand a very long time ago, not knowing it still had AppleCare. Now my laptop won't turn on and by chance I entered the serial number into the Apple website and found out that it is still entirely covered. Thing is, I don't have any information of the guy I bought it from, I don't even remember his name. So now I'm sure the AppleCare is under his name, but I wasn't able to even find that information to try to contact him to change the ownership to me. I have to take in the laptop for repair but they will for sure ask me some information about him and since I don't anything, it completley looks like I stole the computer. Any ideas of what to do? I read that the warranty is actually attatched to the laptop and not the owner, but then why would they request to switch ownership?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Applecare covers the machine, not the owner. No change of ownership is necessary.

If you take it in for repair all they're going to do is check the serial to verify coverage. If they do ask about the original registrant, just tell them you bought it used. Should be no problem.

3. kruv thread starter macrumors newbie

I sure hope so. But just to be on the safe side is there no way to see some sort of AppleCare profile if I have the serial number?

4. Buzzworms macrumors member

Buzzworms

I had the same situation. I bought a used CD MacBook not knowing the original owner had purchased AppleCare. I found it was covered only after registering it in my name (not that registering made a difference). As was already stated, AppleCare covers the machine, not the owner. I got a new lower case, fan, heat sink, logic board, display, hard drive w/out paying a cent. Pretty much a new MacBook after all the AppleCare.

5. kruv thread starter macrumors newbie

well that's great to hear, but then why are there so many threads about changing your AppleCare ownership? People must be doing it for a reason.

6. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Where are these threads? I've never seen one around here!

7. kruv thread starter macrumors newbie

8. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Looks like your answer is in that thread - so why did you have to post this one?

There is no way to see the name of the person who registered AppleCare for your MacBook. This would have all kinds of privacy issues associated with it, so I doubt that it would ever exist.

In any case, the warranty is linked to the computer, not to the name. So don't worry about it. If you need a warranty service, bring/send it in to Apple and they'll take care of it.

9. Buzzworms macrumors member

Buzzworms

You're scrutinizing this issue needlessly. Make a Genius Bar appointment and take your MacBook in. If it's covered by AppleCare they'll take care of it. In my case they didn't offer to fix much - I had to make an issue of bad pixels, cracks in bottom case, heat issues, etc, but in the end they did everything I requested.

10. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

they won't ask you for any ID or anything.
    all they do is look up the machine and see if it's covered-
    if it is, they cover it.
    the only time they will ask you for ID is when you pick the machine back up.
    but they ask either for "ID, or the printed repair sheet"

either way.
    if the machine is under warranty, and needs service, they will service it.
    they don't care who brings it in.