Interesting Call to AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MallCop, Feb 2, 2011.

1. MallCop macrumors 6502

So I called AT&T about adding unlimited data to my iphone 4.

Me: Im calling about adding unlimited data to my iphone.
    Rep: Sorry we no longer offer unlimited data.
    Me: Even though Verizon now does?
    Rep: We are aware that Verizon now offers unlimited data for iPhone but we no longer do.
    Me: Ok I would like to cancel my account then.
    Rep: Why would that be sir?
    Me: I need unlimited data on my phone and Verizon offers it and you dont.
    Rep: Im sorry we no longer offer unlimited.
    Me: I know thats why I want to cancel my account.
    Rep: Why sir?
    Me: Because I need unlimited data.
    Rep: Our research shows 97% of or customers never exceed 2gb of data.
    Me: I dont care what your research shows.
    Rep: Im trying to explain why we no longer offer unlimited data.
    Me: I honestly dont care why you dont offer it. Let me talk to a supervisor.
    Rep: Ok one moment.
    Me: Thanks.
    Sup: How my I help you?
    Me: I want to cancel my account.
    Sup: Why sir?
    Me: I want to have unlimited data.
    Sup: Is that the only reason?
    Me: Yes.
    Sup: If I offered you unlimited data would you remain a valued AT&T customer?
    Me: I guess but if I went to Verizon I could go on a family plan and it would be cheaper.
    Sup: Ok I can offer your unlimited data and a 3 month bill credit to remain a customer.
    Me: Ok sounds great thanks.
    Sup: You are welcome sir thank you for being a valued AT&T customer.

Wow competition really is good.

2. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Want to my local ATT store about adding another iPhone line to my plan, they were very very helpful, doing bonus stuff, offering extras, ect.

It's a good time to be willing to screw with your provider, no matter the provider. :D

3. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

ROFL.

In my situation the VZ IP4 is going to be $40 a month, you think AT&T would match that? I doubt it... but I guess I'll try after I order my Verizon one tonight.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

5. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

It means I have a free data for 3 months.

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I don't believe that 3 months credit...
    Really? Family plans ain't cheap. AT&T offered you 3 months of your bill credit? Really? Any family bills can cost like 100-300 dollars a months and AT&T will cover it for 3 months?
    Correction: 3 months of free data? O snap.... really. How did you pull that one off...

you ask for that or AT&T just gave it to you?

7. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

I applaud your significant persistence. And the 3 month data bill credit -- wow.

Happy for ya. :)

8. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I would be another line on my family's family plan so I would only pay $40 a month for unlimited data and texting compared to the $85-$100 I pay now a month. And they just offered the 3 months of free data after I said I could get cheaper plans on verizon.

9. Scott90 macrumors 6502

What if the supervisor said "Ok, let me take care of that for you"? Would you actually have cancelled your plan or were you just bluffing?

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I might try this... because AT&T upset me enough already with their ****** data plans.

11. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

I would have canceled and bought the verizon iphone. I figured it out to where it wont cost anything to switch and I may actually make a little money.

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

And lost your phone number? Your account needs to be active at the time you port.

13. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

It was already ported from Verizon to AT&T last august when I bought the iphone so is it possible to port it back?

14. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

yes but the point they were making is you don't cancel and then go to verizon, you go to verizon and have them port your number. That way you're guarnteed not to lose the number, and as soon as its ported it effectively cancels your account with ATT

15. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

I called also a while back and said I wanted to cancel because I wanted unlimited data and verizon has it and after a while and telling me how bad verizon is they said they would add it if I stayed and so I got unlimited data on my iphone 4. At first though they kept saying they don't offer it but they will offer it if you are actually thinking about going to verizon and asking for unlimited data then they will add it to your account. If they don't give it to you well just cancel your account.