Interesting Email I Got From The Office Of Steve Jobs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghall, Oct 1, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Okay, so I sent an email to sjobs@apple.com about 3rd party apps on the iPhone and I got a response:

So, any thoughts?

2. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

OMG a letter from Steve!!!1111111

Sounds like good news to me down the line :D

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Wow...that was worth a post? If your just gunna be sarcasmic, then atleast say something worthwhile.

6. tmiw macrumors 68000

Does this mean that there'll be an "official" (Web pages don't count) API for the iPhone soon? :D

7. Fuchal macrumors 68020

It is just too exciting.

8. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

hmmm, sarcasmic. never heard that one before. :D

9. The General macrumors 601

Attach the original message, including full headers and I'll believe it.

10. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I wouldnt say soon, but hopefully eventually?

Well if that wasnt sarcasm then its not as bad.

11. Fuchal macrumors 68020

It was most assuredly sarcasmic.

But if the letter is legit, it could be the start of a great iPhone future. :D

12. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Here you go.

Attached Files:

13. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I love my iphone, it doesnt have a lot of things right now that i wish it did (the usual requests) but i think apple is aware of a lot of these and will definatly role out these updates eventually. I cant wait for 3rd party apps, but in the meantime, i enjoy the phone, just picking it up in my hand causes for excitement.

14. avalys macrumors 6502

What would really be great to have are the messages _SMTP_ headers.

If you want people to believe you, you can get at them from Apple Mail like this:

1) Select the message.
    2) Choose File->Save As.
    3) Select the "Raw Message Source" option, and save the file somewhere.
    4) Attach that file to your post.

15. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

nicely written graham.

16. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Okay, sorry, I didn't know about that. Thanks. I attached it in a zip file (the plain file won't work)

Thanks. I'm awesome like that.

Attached Files:

17. avalys macrumors 6502

According to those headers, that email was sent using Apple Mail from 10.4.10, not Leopard. Not that means it wasn't Jobs - but it would be more credible if it was a Leopard build.

I am still inclined to believe you, though. Apple would be absolutely insane not to allow some kind of third-party development for the iPhone.

18. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

How can you tell that it was sent from 10.4.10 and not leopard?

19. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I'm sure Steve Jobs (or a secretary for Steve) is smart enough to not use potentially buggy beta software for business purposes.

20. avalys macrumors 6502

The X-Mailer header: it says "Apple Mail (2.752.3)". If you go to About->Mail in Tiger, it says "Version 2.1.1 (752.3)"

21. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

You're kidding, right? Do you seriously think that the CEO of a company like Apple is going to run his day-to-day life using a beta version of an OS? Really?

I've been in this business for 25 years. I can assure you that Steve Jobs has better things to do than have his own IT support staff in his office to debug issues on a beta version of his OS.

I'd bet the email is legit. Apple made it clear that third party apps would come once Apple had a way to insure a consistently solid and secure way for these apps to run. I don't think Apple wants to deal with phones that crash because of 3rd party apps (though Safari still crashes on me in 1.1.1). Apple just hasn't stated the timeline for an SDK...as usual. That's the crummy part...the constant guessing.

--DotComCTO

22. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

Makes perfect sense, based on what I've read of the iPhone Dev team and their hacking exploits the iPhone OS is a bit of a hack job by Apple, probably to get it out in time so they're probably still cleaning it up before allowing 3rd parties on it.

Also from what I remember reading, all apps right now run as root on the iPhone which is definitely not a very safe or secure approach!

23. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

I bet you right now there are about a half-dozen different software shops developing native 3-party iPhone apps with Apple's blessing and support. It's essentially a private-beta program, and after their wares are announced at MWSF '08, a public-beta SDK will be announced.

24. avalys macrumors 6502

Considering that Leopard is supposedly in release-candidate status - yeah. Jobs seems like a such a hands-on manager, I would expect him to be using it at this point.

25. Fuchal macrumors 68020

The risk of losing data is too high for someone in such an important position.

Hell, even 10.3.0 corrupted your data if you turned file vault on. So release candidate, and even final releases mean nothing! :rolleyes: