iPhone Interesting Reminders Bug/Issue

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by kmichalec, Feb 8, 2013.

1. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

I have a reoccurring reminder set up to remind me on the 29th of every month to update my bill payments before the 1st of the next month (when all my bills get paid).

On Jan 29th, I got my regular reminder, marked it as completed, and didn't think anything of it, as it usually automatically sets up the reminder for the next month. However, looking at the upcoming reminders in the list, it says the next reminder for this is MARCH 29th. It appears to have skipped over the month of February, as there is no 29th of February. I double checked the completed list, and the last one for this reminder is Jan 29th (I checked just in case I accidentally hit complete twice and it marked the Feb reminder as completed too, but this wasn't the case).

To me, this is a bug, as if there isn't a day with that day number in the next month, it should default to the closest date there is. It definitely shouldn't SKIP a month, as I would have never received a reminder if it hadn't.

Anyone else run into this?

2. sohaloh macrumors regular

Set it to remind you on the 28th. Problem solved.

3. kmichalec thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? That's your answer? Wow. So, that's not something Apple should have thought of or tested when dealing with calendar/reminders/Reoccuring appointments? How long have they been doing apps with dates in them?

The point is, people might not realize their reminders aren't going off and could cause issues if they don't remember to do something as a result.

4. sohaloh macrumors regular

Didn't mean to sound rude, just trying to give you a quick solution.

But instead of the app going directly back one date, it should be able to identify days in the calendar which don't show up for other months and then notify you. Like for example when you completed jan it should have told you there is no 29th in feb want to move it to another date? Or something like that.

5. kmichalec thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry I got defensive so quick too. Yes, setting everything to the 28th would work. I was just really surprised this is something that Apple would let slip through. As in my case, now that I know about it, I can plan around it, but I think the bigger issue is for the people that don't know about it, and rely on the reminder. They may be in for a surprise when it doesn't go off in Feb. I agree, that you suggestion would be a good one too.

I was more or less just wondering if anyone else had run into this, and to kind of give a heads up as PSA. I'll be sending a note to Apple as well to give them a heads up.

Thanks!

6. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

OP yes I had this problem last month as well with a bill reminder I had set up for the 29th every month.

Don't know how to fix it, unfortunately I just set mine to the 28th.

7. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

How is this a bug? It works as designed and as I would expect it. Users need to consider leap years as well as programmers. I would not want it to assume what you suggest then default.

If you want a function that will remind you of the last day of the month, then why not suggest it? Btw, have you tried asking Siri to set a reminder for the last day of the month?

8. maxosx macrumors 68020

I asked Siri when the next iPhone is due.

The stupid thing had no answer :eek:

So much for usefulness ...

9. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I wouldn't say its a bug, but its an issue yes. If someone wants a monthly occurance, then skipping an entire month wouldn't be monthly. I would expect it to have the logic to go back to the 28th if the 29th isn't there.

Now i am surprised because i did try to duplicate this on even google calendars and the same thing happens is that it skips February.

10. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I think the issue, from a programmers perspective, is which parameter is more important to the user: that the reminder occurs EVERY month, or that the reminder occurs exactly on the 29th of each month.

11. fjd726 macrumors regular

Would have been nice to see an option to choose any amount of days you wanted instead of only limited options.

12. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I don't disagree. I still probably wouldn't want it to default but rather display a warning message and turn the responsibility back to the user. Interesting test. Good job.

I don't disagree here either, but isn't this an Apple app? If so, then I'd say it matters little what my perspective is as an engineer or programmer but my coding is driven by the Buisness unit requirements. I hardly doubt this date issue was missed, but could be wrong. Any software I've written dealing with dates considering leap years and February in general is fundamental.