Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathon McMast

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Intresting review of the new 2010 MBP here, In summury i fully agree with many of the points made, they seem to fully support what i have been saying . The Author generally praised the new mac book pro, although note the final paragraph:

the specification is stingy, the keyboard mediocre, the lack of graphics switching in Windows is a killer blow, and the cooling system borders on the unworkable. We're long past the days when Apple did style like no other, and we've seen far better laptops in recent months - such as the VAIO Z11 - to recommend this one.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/laptops/357568/apple-macbook-pro-15/2#ixzz0oHZOULHP

interesting reading.

Jonathon McMast

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
pcpro.com

Come on, it's a PC-Windows focused site.

So you are implying that this magazine's reviews are inherently biased due to them being PC focused? Have you got any evidence to support this please?

Cheers,

J.McMasters

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I reckon the majority of Mac users would care quite little about the lack of graphics switching in Windows. Going as far as calling it a killer blow is just blowing raspberries heh.

FrinkTL

Apr 19, 2010
Apple's Aluminum Frying Pan

Not surprising at all & not very interesting either.

Ah, so because it's a scathing review of hardware that even Apple fanboys have misgivings about it's "not very interesting." THAT is interesting.

You also must think it's perfectly acceptable for a laptop to double as an aluminum frying pan?

azazel-

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2010
United States
Registering just to post a flamebait review done by a some generic Windows/PC-centric website on the Macbook Pro...great way to make a first impression.

Bosmonster

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
How can you complain about stuff that doesn't work well on Windows on a Mac and even call it a "killing blow"?

FrinkTL

Apr 19, 2010
Registering just to post a flamebait review done by a some generic Windows/PC-centric website on the Macbook Pro...great way to make a first impression.

...and your posting about it amounts to a diversionary tactic. Not much better, imo.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Read the revue of the 13" Sony (over 2000 Euros) pointed to in the article the user posted. After reading both the Apple and then the Sony reviews I would have to say the reviewer is biased toward the Sony, and there is a difference between bias and preference. She slams the Apple for poor battery life and ignores it on the 13" Sony which gets much worse battery life. A 13" laptop that gets only 5 hours of light use and 1 hour of heavy use from the battery doesn't work when one of the main advantages of a 13" over a 15" or 17" machine is portability which means you are using it away from a power outlet and longer battery life is more important selling point in a small machine that a large machine.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
From someone who's owned the new Sony Z and we have a 13" and 15" MBP ... the Sony in my opinion is nowhere as nice a computer to work on daily.

The reviewer about says "mediocre keyboard" on the MBP - hard to believe.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Probably guys here need to wake-up and smell some coffee. The time when Apple used to be best in terms of hardware specs is way past, accept the fact that there are other brands that can beat Apple in hardware manufacturing hands-down and OSX is no gurantee to be safe and secure. User experience with OSX is also up for toss considering Windows 7 bridges that gap and some more, it beats OSX when it comes to pure performance (look at recent gaming benchmarks from independent sites).
So all that is remaining is pure aesthetics and clueless herd mentality to follow everything that Steve throws out. You got money to burn fine, but dont boast on hypothetical facts that Apple brings best computer products - it is no longer true, competition has closed that gap way ago. By falunting your Apple products you come out more as clueless people who got cash to burn. Being fan is good but being fan to the point that impedes product innovation is bad for the brand.
I use Apple products myself for task that I need to accomplish but to say that my fully loaded Mac mini will not slow down, hang or crash is bit of a overstatement because it does it same as my Sony Vaio machine.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Intresting review of the new 2010 MBP here, In summury i fully agree with many of the points made, they seem to fully support what i have been saying . The Author generally praised the new mac book pro, although note the final paragraph:

the specification is stingy, the keyboard mediocre, the lack of graphics switching in Windows is a killer blow, and the cooling system borders on the unworkable. We're long past the days when Apple did style like no other, and we've seen far better laptops in recent months - such as the VAIO Z11 - to recommend this one.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/laptops/357568/apple-macbook-pro-15/2#ixzz0oHZOULHP

interesting reading.

I don't get paid to write reviews to help sell magazines, so take this with whatever grain of salt you wish.

-I no longer bother with Boot Camp, so I care little for how my 2010 MBP performs in Windows. Windows itself has so many issues I've no desire to bother with this. I do run Windows via Parallels and have no issues with graphics or performance there.

-Specifications aren't stingy for my uses via OSX. They may be stingy for uses as a Windows laptop, which frankly needs far more horsepower to feel as peppy. I can lift the lid of my MBP and be typing in Pages before my Win7 laptop even comes out of sleep mode. And that assumes it DOES come out of sleep mode. Really, I've always found that I need more computing horsepower just to do basic things on Windows ever since Vista was introduced. So 'stingy' is relative. For OSX, 4G of ram, i7 processor and the graphics card is more than capable of powering common business tasks.

-I dont understand the complaints about the keyboard at all. I have a nice Lenovo Thinkpad and yes, I think its got a great keyboard. But the one on my MBP is just as good. And the trackpad on the Mac more than makes up for any keyboard issues that someone might complain are lacking. The Mac keyboard + trackpad combination are simply the most ergonomically sound duo I can imagine and I've got literally dozens of laptops in my company. Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba, Sony, Mac (older gen), MBP. For ANY GUI these days, complaining about the keyboard without taking into account the navigation capabilities of the pointing device (trackpad) is a rather glaring oversight.

-Cooling issues? What cooling issues? Even while using Handbrake to do batch level conversions, pegging each core at over 100% for hours on end, my i7 MBP never tops out past 170 degrees F. The fans work fine.

Basically, all their complaints are from the perspective of what a Windows user wants/needs in a laptop. And I'd agree, as a Windows laptop, the Macbook Pro line isn't the best. But as an OSX laptop, the Sony Vaio/HP Envy totally suck.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Get back to licking your Vaio and being a Sony shill, "buddy". Thinly veiled agenda is sad.

By directly insulting people who dont agree to your thought process clearly shows you have a way to go in terms of maturing. You are defending or opposing just a piece of machine which is no more than a tool to accomplish certain task - so lets keep it civil instead of being tool :).

azazel-

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2010
United States
Probably guys here need to wake-up and smell some coffee. The time when Apple used to be best in terms of hardware specs is way past, accept the fact that there are other brands that can beat Apple in hardware manufacturing hands-down and OSX is no gurantee to be safe and secure. User experience with OSX is also up for toss considering Windows 7 bridges that gap and some more, it beats OSX when it comes to pure performance (look at recent gaming benchmarks from independent sites).
So all that is remaining is pure aesthetics and clueless herd mentality to follow everything that Steve throws out. You got money to burn fine, but dont boast on hypothetical facts that Apple brings best computer products - it is no longer true, competition has closed that gap way ago. By falunting your Apple products you come out more as clueless people who got cash to burn. Being fan is good but being fan to the point that impedes product innovation is bad for the brand.
I use Apple products myself for task that I need to accomplish but to say that my fully loaded Mac mini will not slow down, hang or crash is bit of a overstatement because it does it same as my Sony Vaio machine.

Your opinion is not fact. Realize that. And I do have money, lots of it, in fact, because the DoD pays me to fix Windows in areas that go a bit deeper than stupid gaming benchmarks. And no one is "falunting" anything...this is an Apple-centric enthusiast site, catering to those that come to talk about said subjects. If someone wants to register here to bleet on about their Vaio Wintendo, they deserve what they get.

Deeya

macrumors member
May 14, 2010
I don't know what people are doing to cause these heat issues, I ran mine for 2-3 hours last night while editing photos and making a 1920x1200 res video and the bottom of the case was warm, but no where near unbearable.

People are forgetting the days of the Core Duo that you could cook an egg on lol

azazel-

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2010
United States
By directly insulting people who dont agree to your thought process clearly shows you have a way to go in terms of maturing. You are defending or opposing just a piece of machine which is no more than a tool to accomplish certain task - so lets keep it civil instead of being tool :).

The guy registered at a site called MACrumors...to talk about his Sony Vaio. If that's not a shill, then what would you call it?

Now why don't you get back to insulting the target audience of this site. I may be wrong, but last time I checked, calling the audience of a specific niche site a bunch of "clueless people with cash to burn" isn't exactly civil nor mature.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Your opinion is not fact. Realize that. And I do have money, lots of it, in fact, because the DoD pays me to fix Windows in areas that go a bit deeper than stupid gaming benchmarks. And no one is "falunting" anything...this is an Apple-centric enthusiast site, catering to those that come to talk about said subjects. If someone wants to register here to bleet on about their Vaio Wintendo, they deserve what they get.

Thanks that you clarified about your monetary situation because I was still under impression that you were burning your parents money on shinny toys, but now it feels you are well on your way to be on a geek squad.
Yes it is "Apple-centric enthusiast site" and we all are here because we love Apple products but there is difference between loveing and following blindly but it seems you belong to later camp by choice - good for you.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

interesting reading.

Why have you started ANOTHER thread pretty much saying the same thing as in your last thread?:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/917796/

Only with a review linked in the starting post? Can you please stop trolling the boards and just start one thread for the same subject?
We get it, you hate the new MB Pro and have a HUGE issue with the heat, you only need to state it once then move on.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.