Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
lol no i haven't used it, a long time ago i tried jailbreaking my iPod touch and it screwed a lot of things up, i went over instructions many many times and i did everything correct. Maybe they've improved the process by now but i'm satisfied with they way iOS is enough to not jailbreak my phone.

anyways it is really interesting. i didn't know it included app switching too from left to right.

The only thing i could see about that that would make it better is that when you switch to using two fingers you can swipe from any point in the screen and not have to use the edge.

True, but consider one handed usage. Multi finger gestures are OK on the iPad because because it's designed to be used with both hands, iPhone however, a user must be able to operate with one hand.

With Zephyr, you can just "thumb up" from the edge and it opens.

Trust me Alpha, jailbreak your device or get it jailbroken, try Zephyr, you'll love it! I'm not big on tweaks and stuff, the only reason I jailbreak is Zephyr and Navigate from Maps, Zephyr alone is worth jailbreaking though.

mrbutters

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
Oh cool, your roaming around in the iPhone threads. Way to go!!

I still have my 4s, probably selling it soon. I have had all these features for years on my Android phone. I wish Apple would get back to innovating rather than just stealing Android's features and passing them off as new...

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I take it you haven't used Zephyr?

Trust me, you will not swipe up by mistake and once you use Zephyr, you will not go back to using a home button, it is just that good.

And yes, it is like the notification center, you swipe from the bottom edge of the screen, quickly swipe up and let go and the app slides off the screen and you're back on the homescreen, swipe up and hold and the Switcher opens.

I've made a small review of it, check it out, hope it answers your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1UyGU4vF6M

Im addicted to Zephyr. My iphone 4 home button doesn't work that good anymore and Zephyr saved me from buying another phone. Its the best tweak I have ever seen for a phone.

It would be awesome to see it implemented on iOS 6.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I still have my 4s, probably selling it soon. I have had all these features for years on my Android phone. I wish Apple would get back to innovating rather than just stealing Android's features and passing them off as new...

Nobody is stealing. It's called keeping up with the times. iOS & Android didn't really bring nothing new. It's the way they were implemented that was new, especially when iOS first arrived on the original iPhone. I was a smartphone user for years before the iPhone and was doing almost everything iOS and Android can do today.

Just because Android pushes out features quicker, and phone manufacturers push out higher specs at a more frequent rate, doesn't make Apple a copycat when it pushes out similar features and specs at their own pace. If you beleive it does, then you must feel the same about Android cause many of the icons, badges, and design are basically identical to iOS. Same goes with some hardware.

mrbutters

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
Nobody is stealing. It's called keeping up with the times. iOS & Android didn't really bring nothing new. It's the way they were implemented that was new, especially when iOS first arrived on the original iPhone. I was a smartphone user for years before the iPhone and was doing almost everything iOS and Android can do today.

Just because Android pushes out features quicker, and phone manufacturers push out higher specs at a more frequent rate, doesn't make Apple a copycat when it pushes out similar features and specs at their own pace. If you beleive it does, then you must feel the same about Android cause many of the icons, badges, and design are basically identical to iOS. Same goes with some hardware.

True to an extent. However, things like how Android deal with notifications with the pull down bar was unique to the OS and Apple flat out copied it. There are about 4-5 other things I can think of as well but I won't thread hijack.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
iOS6 Function over cosmetics

All this focus over cosmetics has me irked.

I want subtle changes to improve function:

Email:
Ability to collapse folders. Many at work have such a complex hierarchy of folders, and subfolders; making spring swiping annoying.
A quick selection to see all unread emails in each folder.
Lookup function to allow selection of intended user to see full details; helpful with multiple ppl with same first/last name and you're not aware of their corporate email address.
Ability to forward more than 1 email address.

Browser:
I'd like to clear cookies/cache without loosing the sites I have already opened in tabs.
I'd like to clear the last "copy" selection.
smaller buttons for more choices.
Ability to create a bookmark into a NEW folder created live.

Twitter inbedded:
I want this to be updated so that when I click on a link to tweet in the browser I can immediately tweet, since my credentials are already in the core iOS; not having to login again in the browser.

These are just a few things off the top of my head.

mrbutters

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
All this focus over cosmetics has me irked.

I want subtle changes to improve function:

Email:
Ability to collapse folders. Many at work have such a complex hierarchy of folders, and subfolders; making spring swiping annoying.
A quick selection to see all unread emails in each folder.
Lookup function to allow selection of intended user to see full details; helpful with multiple ppl with same first/last name and you're not aware of their corporate email address.
Ability to forward more than 1 email address.

Browser:
I'd like to clear cookies/cache without loosing the sites I have already opened in tabs.
I'd like to clear the last "copy" selection.
smaller buttons for more choices.
Ability to create a bookmark into a NEW folder created live.

Twitter inbedded:
I want this to be updated so that when I click on a link to tweet in the browser I can immediately tweet, since my credentials are already in the core iOS; not having to login again in the browser.

These are just a few things off the top of my head.

Sounds like you would be better off with an Android phone :)

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sounds like you would be better off with an Android phone :)

I cannot stand Android. I've tried 3 times in the past with gingerbread: Sony Xperia Arc, SGS, HTC Sensation 4G. It took me 4 attempts to get used to iPhone 4's paradigms vs being highly proficient on S60 3rd edition FP2 & BB 5/6/7. To me Android is the modern S60 in so many ways with modern social hooks - the plethora of apps are very similar. This whole ios/android app race is nothing new to Nokia S60 users but Androids implementation of ram vs storage is a bit confusing for someone that no longer has ime nor wants to geek out to figure out how it works.

I want ios to advance not remain stagnant. It's not about how much tech goes into a device nor the specs because after its all packaged and ready for sale it's about your target audiences ability to USE the product and that determines how the embrace it along with build quality and services and service when things go wrong. Audi, VW, MB, etc have figured this out even with higher priced cars; and honda & Toyota figured this out too (Acura & Lexus brands).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.