Interesting thought about a new iPhone and 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Abyssgh0st, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Just sitting at my desk, thinking to myself about iPhone 3.0 and a new iPhone, and I happened to glance at my iPhone 3G box and thought that even if in the slight chance that Apple does not release a new iPhone this summer, they will have to change the boxes to accommodate the changes in the 'Messaging' application, and adding in the 'Voice Memos.'

I know this is very very minor, but it just seems like another new reason for Apple to release a new iPhone.

2. aok1975 macrumors 6502

the box is the reason for apple to release another iphone?

3. Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I did not say it was the reason. I said it was a very, very minor one.

If they release just 3.0, no new iPhone (excluding a 32gb 3G) Apple will NOT sell new iPhones that come with 3.0 in a box that does not adequately display their product. So I don't think phone companies worldwide are liquidating their phones just because of a new box, it is obvious a new iPhone.

4. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Your logic is deeply flawed. Of course, Apple will release a new iPhone, but it will be because one of Apple's business lines is selling phones, not because the existing box design needs to be refreshed. If the box needs to be changed, the box needs to be changed. Simple. How you deduce that changing the picture on a box is less expensive than changing the picture AND redesigning a product is beyond me (and/or shows lack of business sense).

5. Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Are you effing stupid? I did not say the reason for a new iPhone was the damn changes to the box. I said it was a very small contributing factor.

I was saying, that Apple would have the change the box if they do not release a new iPhone, and I highly doubt they'd go to the trouble to change the box, without releasing a new product.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, you thought of this all by yourself :D
    Nonsense

7. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

I understand what you mean (unlike some posters in this thread?) and think it a worthy observation.

8. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Minor or not the box has nothing to do with Apple releasing a new iPhone.

9. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

its a valid point. This other people need to chill. Its not a great reason, but it adds to the many many other \things that add to a new iphone coming out.

10. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

That's where your logic is severely flawed.

BTW, I understood what you were saying from the beginning, and your reasoning didn't/doesn't make any sense.

EDIT: Again, I don't disagree that Apple will release a new iPhone. It is your logic that I disagree with, as it is nonsensical.

11. Untaken macrumors member

It took me a second to understand what you were talking about but I get it now. And you do have a point, though it seems like Apple refreshes ALL of their products so quickly that they very rarely need to change something on the packaging of the old product. :D

12. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

geez people, hes just saying it would cost a lot to change the box, thats all.

to think hes dumb because YOU thought he thought the box was the whole reason for a new iphone makes you dumb.

i understand ya man! :apple:

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why would it cost alot to change a picture on the box?:rolleyes:

14. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

I understand he doesn't think that is the (only) reason for a new product. However, to think that it is ANY reason at all is illogical. The costs of photoshopping a few icons (if any) are literally insignificant compared to the costs of photoshopping a few icons AND developing, procuring materials for, and modifying manufacturing set-ups for a new product.

15. Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

When has Apple ever released a product, and then had a software update (a very major one too,) and then not either changed the box or released a new product to accommodate the new software? Example: First gen iPhones. They can run 2.0, but Apple released the 3G to accommodate the software, and I don't believe Apple changed the first gen iPhone boxes after the release of 2.0.

16. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I completely agree with the OP, this seems like a logically thing that Apple will do. Now I wouldn't say its a reason for them to release a new iPhone, but it is more evidence and reason why a new one will def be coming this summer. 3.0 is really gonna change the iPhone and Apple will want to show that off.

17. Asar macrumors regular

18. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Just factoring the box in the equation of a new iphone makes no sense at all. As someone posted earlier the cost of changing icons on the box is literally the same as printing the box with the old icons. It cant even be a minute reason to release a new phone. Think people.

19. aok1975 macrumors 6502

How would it cost a lot to change the box. All they would do is to update the design for the box cover and send it to the box manufacturer.

20. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Tim: well, Steve, since we have to change the box to show 3.0, we might as well just change the iPhone too. It only makes sense.

Steve: Good job, Tim! See, this is exactly why I left you in charge.

21. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

but if they were keeping the 3G as is and just coming out with 3.0 software, what about all the iphones on the shelves, or in shipping, apple would never want there to be wrong boxes on launch day with people buying product with wrong stuff on the outside.

he was just stating a fact about the boxes lol i dont know why we are even talking about it!

22. aok1975 macrumors 6502

What are you talking about. Already printed boxes on the shelves will be sold as is when 3.0 comes out. This will not apply to the iphone 3g as there will be none for sale then. The ipod touches already on the shelves at the time with the current software (2.2) will be sold at a $10 discount to reflect the cost of you updating to 3.0 . My ipod touch purchased in jan 08 came without the update (the one that cost $20), and the apple store discounted it by $20. To think that packaging has anything to do with the decision to offer a new product is stupid.

23. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

The cinema displays got a box update (Changing Tiger wallpaper to Leopard), but the hardware still stayed the same.

24. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

25. aok1975 macrumors 6502

good point.