Interlacing screen / screen door effect iPhone 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unagimiyagi, Sep 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Hi, I saw display units of the iPhone 7 in multiple stores and I could see an interlacing screen door effect , also called pixel walk or any of other several synonyms.

A known issue on many iPhone 5s 6 and 6s units.

Anyone else see it? It's major to me because there looks to be a fine grid over the screen at times and it's most certainly not retina.

It's not present on the plus series at all as far as I can tell.

2. GaryLiao macrumors member

It is present on the plus series, just not as apparent due to the higher pixel density. Unfortunately this kind of thing seems like it's going to stay for Apple devices, might be the result of sourcing panels from multiple places but overall I don't think they believe this is an issue since most people won't be scrutinizing their phone to that level.

3. unagimiyagi thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually saw it on my own without any prior knowledge and then looked online about it. I think it's a clear manufacturing defect or supplier quality issue as it's very distracting to me since seeing that effect makes the screen not look retina at all. I am not as surprised that apple does nothing. I am surprised that more people don't notice it or care?

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I see it on my SE when in the sunlight. Also had the problem with a nexus 5 back in the day.

5. Jayson A macrumors 68000

This is my biggest fear. I have an iPhone 6 with a perfect screen (no shimmering lines) and I'm always afraid to upgrade to an iPhone with the shimmering lines. I have noticed that the lines aren't as bad on launch devices compared to months after they've been out for a while. I usually have the best luck with purchasing right when they first come out (that's how I got my 6)

6. unagimiyagi thread starter macrumors 6502a

I read some of these other posts. The faint lines are
    1) not present on many other smartphone brands screens, most of which are half the price
    2) present on most of the 5, 5s, 6, 6s, 7 screens but not all. Anecdotally the C serial number screens seem better. These come from a different factory. It may not even be a screen itself issue but a manufacturing / assembly process issue.
    3) make the screen not appear retina at all since seeing the fine mesh makes it look like pixels are visible. That would seem to be a bigger deal than a screen being a little warmer than others.

If anyone has the energy to take this up the chain of command be my guest. I am just surprised that the issue hasn't been addressed by Apple. If this bothers you, I would buy and return rather than exchange. This way you can have unlimited times to cycle through phones until you get one that doesn't have the interlacing defect.
    It could take 10 phones but that's Apple's problem not mine.

7. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

Retina means nothing. They just used a bombastic word to make it sound cool.

8. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

This has been ongoing since the 3GS and is just another part of the LCD lottery. I got lucky with the 6S and 7. Good screens are out there.

9. spooned12000rpm macrumors regular

Great post, as I stated in my original thread it looks to be some sort of layering issue rather than the panel itself. If you hold the phone close enough to see the actual pixels you can see that the meshing is over the top of that, and 'moves' independently (hovering over the screen) so is either in the 3D Touch layer, between the LCD and the glass, in the glass itself or in the olephobic coating. Either way it's a manufacturing fault either in the design, construction or just an unintended result of light bouncing around in the different materials in the laminate.

I've since inspected both my launch day 6 and launch day 5, both have the effect but much fainter and you really have to look for it where on the 7 it was apparent with ease. However the olephobic coating has worn off on both phones so perhaps not a scientific comparison as at least one factor is missing, that or it's hard to see as the screens are now smeared with grease creating their own streaks and rainbow effects.

For now I've gone down the exchange route as this seemed to be the fastest way of getting a new phone, buying a new phone wasn't really an option due to stock shortages. In the grand scheme of things the lines issue wasn't a deal breaker as it didn't bother in daily use. The uneven backlight did though and that's my grounds for exchange.

10. Jayson A macrumors 68000

This is what it's supposed to look like up close:
    Messages Image(2753589014)-1.png

However, due to an inversion defect in some iPhones, you may see this:
    Messages Image(904848875)-1.png

The lines may also seem to appear when you're moving the device around, or moving your head/eyes. However, if you keep your eyes perfectly still and your device perfectly still, you may not see them.

This has been an issue with iPhones ever since the iPhone 3G (back then, the lines were horizontal not vertical). I've been playing the panel lottery ever since then. I had my iPhone 3G exchanged multiple times and I finally got a clear display. I wasn't so lucky with my iPhone 5s though, but my iPhone 6 screen is flawless (like the first image).

I hope this helps some of you out

11. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

This is by far the best explanation/example I've seen of this. It can be impossible to convince people that there is an issue sometimes.

12. Jayson A macrumors 68000

Thank you. I've been dealing with this effect for years and years with Apple devices. My iPad has the lines (not super bad though) so I'm hoping my iPhone 7 Plus will be free of them or at least on par with my iPad mini 4.

13. gihuw macrumors newbie

Thanks for this great picture, that shows what everyone means.
    My iPhones weren't affected by this problem, only with my SE that had to be replaced because the antenna got broken.
    Now every SE replacement had this effect, but very very noticeable (even my girlfriend sees it). I thought I had to live with it.

I just bought a new iPhone 8 that also has this effect. A lot less noticeable, but enough to worsen the display quality of photos. I'm thinking of returning it and get a new one, does someone own a good iPhone 8?

If I compare the iPhone 8 to my iPad Pro 9.7 (that hasn't the effect), the iPad has a much clearer display. A shame, because the iPhone screen should be better...