iPhone 7 screen diagonal lines?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dreamliner330, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

I noticed when I was looking at my phone from the bottom at maybe 70 degrees I was able to notice diagonal lines going at maybe 20 degrees across the whole screen. You notice it most on light colors.

This was a huge problem on all the HTC Ones and something I haven't seen since and I just noticed it last night on my iPhone 7.

As an EXAMPLE, they sorta look like the diagonal lines in this icon, but across the entire screen:

[​IMG]

Anyone else?

(Please don't say you don't have it because you haven't noticed. You have to first look very carefully with high screen brightness in a dark environment, something you'd do when watching videos).

2. spooned12000rpm macrumors regular

3. golfnut1982 macrumors regular

golfnut1982

If the lines are straight, linear, angled and/or in a pattern, they are probably meant to be there for some function or another.

4. spooned12000rpm macrumors regular

It's been suggested that it's the touch sensitive 'layer' we're seeing, just not sure why it's so apparent on the 7

5. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It probably has to do with some sort of touch input. It's less noticeable than on the HTC one, but it's pretty dumb that it's visible at all.

6. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure every 7 is like this. I just looked in a store and they have it too. Very very very hard to see with light though.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It is not dumb if required for touch to work on the screen and the only way to see it is at a 70 degree angle.;)

I doubt Apple did this just to piss you off.

8. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My 6 doesn't have it. I noticed it on the 7 without looking for it.

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Well if they are all like that you go to decide if it bothers you enough to return the phone as it is not going to change.

10. spooned12000rpm, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016

spooned12000rpm macrumors regular

Well as an update I tried to make a genius bar reservation regarding my screen bleed issue, but there was nothing available at any of my local stores. Then I tried an online chat with support but the best they could do was suggest that I visit a store. In the end as I'm still within the 14 day period I've requested a replacement and sent my existing phone back.

They couldn't tell me when the replacement would arrive so I'm back to my 4 year old iPhone 5 for the foreseeable! 4 inches feels so small (pun intended!).

I'll report back if the new screen displays the same issue.

11. Jayson A macrumors 68000

This is the LCD panel lottery. I got a perfect screen on my iPhone 6 on the first try, but I'm nervous about my iPhone 7+ now. I hate this effect by the way. It's known as pixel walk (or pixel crawl) or pixel inversion. If I get a bad screen, I might try to get it replaced.

12. spooned12000rpm macrumors regular

I could be wrong but pixel crawl appears to be a symptom of interpreting analogue signals not the mesh effect we're seeing.

13. Jayson A macrumors 68000

I've been through many, MANY iPhones with the shimmering lines all over the screen. It's a voltage issue with the LCD panel.

I've had some perfect screens (iPhone 3G, iPhone 4 and iPhone 6), and if my iPhone 7 Plus is not the same, I'm returning it. Quite as simple as that.

Edit: I just checked out a co-worker's iPhone 7 screen and it's free of any lines. It looks perfect.

I'm REALLY hoping my 7+ is flawless as well.

14. mfldmike macrumors regular

I know my 6S Plus showed the horizontal lines with a certain screen protector...do you have one on?

15. Applefan4515 macrumors regular

Applefan4515

16. numbchicken macrumors newbie

I noticed this as well on my iPhone 7, and am getting a replacement. Hopefully this doesnt occur again or is just a quirk in all of them. Just inquiring, but did you put a am film screen protector or a tempered glass screen protector on the phone?

17. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

No lines that I see either. I pulled up a light color background image and I'm sitting in a dark room with full brightness. Am I doing it right.

I'm genuinely curious. So far I see no issues

18. MattXDA macrumors 6502

MattXDA

19. pmau macrumors 65816

The 6 doesn't have force touch ...

20. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

21. ventmore macrumors 6502

The best advice would be:

If you can't see a fault in everyday use, then don't go looking for it! :)

22. Teon macrumors regular

Teon

it's true

23. numbchicken macrumors newbie

I see this on my phone and on the replacement phone i received. Do you use a screen protector on your iPhone 7?

24. Jayson A macrumors 68000

This is what it's supposed to look like up close:
    Messages Image(2753589014)-1.png

However, due to an inversion defect in some iPhones, you may see this:
    Messages Image(904848875)-1.png

The lines may also seem to appear when you're moving the device around, or moving your head/eyes. However, if you keep your eyes perfectly still and your device perfectly still, you may not see them.

This has been an issue with iPhones ever since the iPhone 3G (back then, the lines were horizontal not vertical). I've been playing the panel lottery ever since then. I had my iPhone 3G exchanged multiple times and I finally got a clear display. I wasn't so lucky with my iPhone 5s though, but my iPhone 6 screen is flawless (like the first image).

I hope this helps some of you out

25. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

^ I had this bad on the 5. Replacement was just as bad and none of the display models exhibited this issue. 5S was a bit better but still had it. 6 and now 7 are perfect.

I thought they had this problem licked. I did not know they still had panels like this. I still remember when "interlacing" was the favorite word on MR.