Internal Speaker Issue on MacBook Pro...

kismoore

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
earth... presently
I've owned my Mac since November....

... am I the only one that feels like a virgin invading the headphone jack with a paper clip??!!
This is my baby. I have the extended coverage plan.
I followed through with the suggestion of penetration anyway, and it worked!
You guys are the best! A little hard to find for newbies searching the internet for help, but never the less...YOU ROCK!

squattyroo

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2007
Use the headphones

To get my light off, I simply took the culprit headphones and ran the tip along the bottom of the input port until the light turned off (the switch is apparently on the bottom). Took two seconds.

webdoyenne

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
So grateful...

I, too, went through the trouble of setting up an account just to say thanks. The Apple website was useless for this problem. I did a web search, and this thread was the first thing to pop up. (Maybe Apple should use the Google search engine.)

Stuck a soft cable tie into the scary red glowing output jack and...the light went away and...the internal speakers came back on.

You guys rock!

:):):):)

pgould

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007
Another solution: Blow

This digital output / red light issue happened for me recently, too -- out of the blue -- with my MacBook Pro. In looking around online for information, I saw one post that recommended just blowing into the audio out port. Although doing so might seem weird and "magical" (just like photographers asking kids to "blow out" the light), it worked for me. It took a couple blows, and I'd sure like to know what about the air pressure or moisture make this work.

chite85

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
Fixed!!

Upon finding this thread I used the recommended headphone jack to disable the 'red laser light' to regain function of the internal speakers. After gently wiggling the jack around I discovered that the key is to run the jack along the lower left part applying modest pressure.

Problem solved!! Thanks for all the tips above :D!

Virginia.Simmon

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
It worked!

I just swiped the bottom of the jack with my headphones plug and the light went off in a few seconds. It was incredibly easy and this chain was really helpful. I registered on macrumors just so I could thank you.

Happy Mac-ing!
Ginny

honorroller

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
like the person who posted before me, i too would like to say thanks for this thread!

i was in a coffee shop and left in a hurry during closing hours and must've swiped out my headphones from the jack a little too fast. upon coming home i noticed the red light and the painful sound of silence coming from my macbook pro.

i immediately found the thread and stuck my headphone jack back in jostled the plug towards the screen, and instantly sound came pouring thru my interal speakers. thank you so much! i was sooo worried!

i was just wondering, when you have to bring it in to get this issue fixed at the mac store and replacing parts is involved, do you need to back up your hd before you send it in?

*i know it is a always a good idea to back up your hd... but i love the way i have all my programs and things set up... it would be a real pain!

just curious, in the event that i may have to go in one day

*** BE CAREFUL UNPLUGGING YOUR SPEAKERS! ***

jerlisu

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
Internal Speaker issue w/ powerbook g4

I am having similar problem with my 12" Powerbook G4. Sound settings in my system prefs says that there is "no output device detected" and the volume bars are greyed out as well. sounds like it might be an issue with the headphone jack although it hasn't been used recently, nor have i been using optical cables. Can anyone advise?

floetzinger

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
yeah!

thanks to all of you guys. I had this digital-output and no internal speakers but redlight problem.
I cleaned (or touched) the inside of headphone jack. et voila.

thanks.

Please!

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2008
No red light...

...and no sound.
I've been swiping the port hole like a convict for the last two hours!

I've looked everywhere for a solution and this seems to be the place. The only difference in my case is that there's no red light! typical.

Please send back-up!
(ie. If anyone's had the same luck as me and managed to turn it around, I would be most grateful if they shared. I need sound.)

Yours desperately,
Leroy :eek:

Please!

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2008
ps.

The volume icon on the top toolbar has vanished.
When the problem started it would sometimes show it's face but the problem still remained...
Volume would last for about a minute and then dissapear. I'd restart, and the same thing. Eventually sound ceased completely.
I worried cause I, at least, want a red light like everybody else!
Also, my warranty's up. Not cool.

Anybody?

anmoore1

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
eh!!!

So, I had the red light after I unplugged my headphones.

I tried the hair pin . . . the light went off . . . no sound.

No sound even when I have the headphones in.

Any suggestions?

MacAdvantage

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2008
Quick Fix for speakers that worked!

I found something that worked! The same issue happened on one of my customers' MacBook. The Sound control panel only allowed the option to choose Digital Audio, the internal speakers did not show up as an option, and the prohibit sign (circle with a line through it) showed up when pressing the sound up, sound down keys.

As suggested, I tried plugging and unplugging a set of external headphones into the headphone jack, but that did not work. I tried some of the other suggestions too, with no success.

However, I decided to turn my attention to the audio-in jack, so I plugged the same headphones into the that jack (next to the headphone jack), removed them, and voila - all was back to normal.

Hope this helps some of you out there. --Andrew

cbw309

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
EarBud Wiggle Works!!

Defiantly a phone jack port issue, i got that red laser light people described and wiggled a headphone jack halfway-in the port a few times, the red light inside the jack socket went off and my internal speakers came on again....

..... the wierd thing is, i was in the mac shop a while ago when i was in for something else, and someone was in the queue ahead of me with the same 17'' macbokpro with same problem exactly.....
must be a common screw up.

i vote RECALL & upgrade, the laser nearly blinded me! ;-)

I have a MacBook and had the same exact issue this morning.
After reading this thread I did the earbud-wiggle and its working again!
Thanks!!!!!
(I was dreading a trip to the swamped Genius Bar!!!)

JessieLeigh

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2008
New Variable to the Problem???

I have the same problem but the pin wouldn't work, nothing worked. But in my sound preferences; the "Play alerts and sound effects through..." says Digital Out and it's grayed out so i can change it. Similarly, In my Output tab for the Built-In Output it says "Digital Out" and not "Internal Speakers" like it should, And like the first, it's not able to change. I'm pretty sure THATS the problem but i still have the red optical light and no sound unless I plug my speakers or headphones in. Help me tooo....

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
i vote RECALL & upgrade, the laser nearly blinded me! ;-)
What's to recall. When you unplug the optical it's can't detect it. When you plug in the regular stereo it completes a circuit.

As with the laser, it's an LED.

MusicFreak

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2008
Help!

Ok, so I'm having the same issue (red light, no sound except for earphones, etc.)
Here is what I have tried (several times)
Sticking a bobby pin in the earphone hole gently, in pretty much every spot.

Sticking the most recently used earphones (that caused the problem) in the earphone hole.

Restarting

And I had already had "play user interface sound effects" and "play feedback when volume is changed"
So... now what? Do I take it to the local Apple Store? Will that cost me? (I think I have a warranty... I got it last December so it should still be good.) Does the warranty cover this? Is it worth taking in or is it temporary? I'm really confused and a bit freaked out that so many have fixed this problem so easy yet I have failed to do so (trying everything.) I'm usually pretty good with computers... no expert... but I've never had a problem like this before! Help?

dunner7

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
internal speaker problem solved.

I too had this problem. I was listening to music with headphones, plugged the headphones out and no sound. Tried plugging the headphones in and out, but no luck. In the end I unticked "Play user interface sound effects" and "Play Feedback when volume is changed" and the internal speakers worked again!
Not sure which button made the difference.

Kiko Deutsch

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
Problem NOT Solved

Hi, after fiddling around much, i decided to send this letter to Apple:

Hi,

I'm a mac user since 2004 and have never had major problems with macs or apple products, but last week I came upon an issue that made me very disappointed. I have a macbook and I used a slightly larger headphone plug on the headphone jack (which I only slightly forced in) to connect to my house's audio system. (It should be said that the cabled used had been used numerous times in many different headphone jacks.) It worked fine, but soon after I unplugged it, the internal speakers weren't working anymore. If I tried to change the volume, a circle with a line crossing it appears. Moreover, a red light shone from the headphone jack.

I waited until Monday to go to the local apple official tech support center and they told me that my warranty had expired. In order to fix it, they would have to REPLACE THE WHOLE LOGIC BOARD, and that would cost me around US$1,500! (I live in Brazil and Apple products here are much more expensive.) Apparently, there's no way to replace just the headphone jack!

I went home to read internet forums and was amazed at the number of people who had had the exact same problem: internal speakers do not work; red light comes out of the heaphone jack; on sys prefs>sound>output, the only thing showing is "digital out"; no sound from speakers; still works when headphones are plugged in. Some people had the same problem after using “different” headphone plugs; some people after some software update.

Apple crammed a digital audio port inside the headphone jack, which would account for the red light and, apparently, what must have happened is the sensor got bent with the larger headphone plug and now is stuck on digital out mode.

On some forums, the most common solution indicated was to insert a toothpick or something close to it and try to unbend the sensor. It worked for a lot of people, but not to me.

Other forums, thinking it could be a software problem, advised the reader either to reset the PRAM (by restarting and pressing down comm+alt+R+P) or to turn the computer off, unplugging the power cord, taking the battery out and pressing down the power button for 5 seconds. I tried all of those but nothing. Basically, what Apple told me that there is nothing they can do.

This is insane. First, Apple doesn't say anything about plugging slightly larger (and very common) headphone plugs onto the port. Second, the solution for the problem is to replace almost the whole computer. I’ve talked to two certified apple tech support centers in Rio de Janeiro and to Apple Brazil in São Paulo. They all basically told me that that is nothing to be done.

Now I come to Apple in the US (the source) and ask: is this for real? Will I loose my computer’s speakers? I’d really appreciate a quick response. I’ve been an unconditional mac fan until now and got many friends to become users. Apple seemed to be a more intelligent and honest manufacturer, and that made the difference (and the extra dollars worth).

Thank you very much,

Best Regards,

Kiko Deutsch

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
Problem NOT Solved (2)

This has got to have a software solution. Why the heck, then, would the speakers work with that initial sound when I restart the computer? I've exhausted internet forums and there seems to be no other solution than to replace the logic board. Can this really be?

kbt22

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2008
new sweet spot

I have been having this persistent red light issue with non-functioning internal speakers for about a month now. I took my Macbook in to a repair store today and was told that the issue IS under warranty (within the first year), and that they would replace the logic board, a repair that would normally cost $800 if it weren't covered. However, the repair would take a week. Unfortunately my use of this computer for work makes a week without it impossible. The technician also said something very interesting; "there is no switch; the logic board needs to be replaced."

I have a Macbook (circa June 2007), and I found that the "switch" was located in a different spot than most were reporting. I used my headphone jack to gently massage the inside "roof" of the port. I found an indentation, that appeared it could be a switch, roughly a centimeter or less inside the port on the top (meaning the side closest to the keyboard). After a few tries, the red light blinked a bit and turned back on. Tried again... After 6 or 7 attempts the blinking subsided and the light turned off! My speakers again worked, but I have noticed that the red light still blinks in a pattern of 3 short, faint blinks every once and a while. After a few minutes, the red light was back!!!! OH NO! I "fixed" it again. It is still functioning for now, but it seems that this "switch" idea may just be a mechanical result of jiggling the port around and causing a loose connection to work on a temporary basis. I would recommend taking it to a certified Mac repair shop and having it fixed under warranty, but for those who are left to jiggle, good luck!!!

I hope this is of some help to others.

Cheers,

Kiko Deutsch

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
Taking it for an improvised solution

Hi,

I already jiggled, danced and prayed, but nothing. I'm taking it to the authorized "repair show" to see if they can fix it without having to change the whole logic board... I'm probably going to be disappointed again. It is ridiculous that such a simple thing has a such drastic solution. It's like using a tank to kill an ant. Better luck for everybody.

myusernameyeah

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2008
Solution

I just had that problem for the first time. I found a forum with a suggestion that solved the problem for me right away.

1. you need to reset the SMC (System Management Control) on your MBP - search the Apple knoldge base for the procedure for your computer

That will give you sound again

2. This is what fixed it: I plugged my earphones back in and muted the sound (F3), and then unplugged the earphones and increased the volume (F5). I hope that, or some combination of that helps for you.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3255575

kismoore

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
earth... presently
Just following up with the solution that was eventually found:

I thought I would update this old post of mine in case anyone out there ever has the same issues.
After much discussion with Apple over the phone, they decided that I was fully covered with my warranty and that the problem was a hardware issue.:(
I sent the computer in and the entire internal, left side of my laptop was replaced. Everything working great now and has been since the repair... almost a year ago now.:)
MY SUGGESTION: If you've tried everything and nothing is working, call Apple and be forceful and persistent.:eek: No need to be rude just be assured that you have done all that you can and Apple needs to stay responsible to the customer.
MY ADVISE: Always get the warranty! I don't know about anyone else but this particular computer costed me more money than any car I've ever owned and I've always had insurance on my ride. If you get to the end of your warranty and can extend the coverage... do it.:apple: