iPad International LTE on iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by atomicpete, Nov 8, 2013.

1. atomicpete macrumors newbie

I bought an ATT iPad 4 LTE last year to use around the world and was a little upset that it would not connect to the LTE networks in other countries but worked fine on the 3G networks.

Does anyone know on what countries' LTE networks the iPad Air will work on?

I am looking specifically for the following:

UK
    Germany
    GCC (UAE, Saudi, ect)
    China
    Malaysia
    Australia
    Singapore
    Brazil

Thank you in advance!

2. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Yes....

The Air can be used anywhere with existing LTE footprint. Out of the places on your list, only China doesn't have LTE yet but should be released in November sometime I think. The Wikipedia site below has a list of networks that have LTE. Hong Kong however is bathed in LTE if you need to use it there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

3. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

The iPad Air supports the following LTE bands.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/

1 (2100 MHz)
    2 (1900 MHz)
    3 (1800 MHz)
    4 (AWS)
    5 (850 MHz)
    7 (2600 MHz)
    8 (900 MHz)
    13 (700c MHz)
    17 (700b MHz)
    18 (800 MHz)
    19 (800 MHz)
    20 (800 DD MHz)
    25 (1900 MHz)
    26 (800 MHz)4

UK - Yes
    Germany - Yes
    GCC (UAE, Saudi, ect) - Yes
    China - No
    Malaysia - Yes
    Australia - Yes
    Singapore - Yes
    Brazil (Brazil is rolling out Band 7 2600MHz) - Yes

4. Vertigo1 macrumors regular

Speaking from the UK, the Air supports all the LTE frequencies that are licensed here now but our 4G rollout is only just getting going really so coverage will be patchy. EE have had a year's head start by utilising existing spectrum but the other main players are rolling out now.

5. jetlife2 macrumors regular

jetlife2

Great coverage

In fact , I believe the iPad Air has the most comprehensive global LTE band support of any single device on sale today. With a single bill of materials not customized for North America, Europe, etc. it can be used (with the appropriate SIM card) just about anywhere.

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Same thing goes for the new iPhones. I'm really glad Apple has gone this far to include all these bands.

7. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

The iPhone 5s is not universal. The U.S. version does not support band 7 2600MHz spectrum which is used in UK, France, Germany, Australia, Brasil and Mid East countries.

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Interesting. Either way it has more bands than other phones will have.

9. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

The iPhone 6 will probably use the same chip that is in the iPad Air making it a LTE world phone.

10. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I really hope so. Otherwise the Verizon iPhone 5s looks like a really good option right now.

11. Vertigo1 macrumors regular

It is a bit bizarre that they managed to get global support into a single model/chipset for the Air but not for the 5S which was launched less than two months earlier.

12. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

I bought the Verizon 5s and I'm using it with T-Mobile.

I was surprised to see the U.S. version does not support Band 7 2600MHz spectrum which means I cannot get LTE when I travel to Brasil which is disappointing.

13. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yeah, I'm going to be in Australia and other countries next year and liked how the 5s offered so many bands. I guess I'll have to settle for slow speeds in certain countries.

14. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Is there somewhere that describes the differences between the iPad Air and iPhone 5s in terms of global LTE? That would be very helpful. Basically, what countries can you get LTE in on the Air but not the 5s? Although when it comes down to it, seems like you can at least get connectivity anywhere on both.

15. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

The charts are below. As you can see in the chart the iPadAir is one model for global LTE. They should have done the same for the iPhone 5s.

http://apple.com/iphone/LTE/
    http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/

16. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Thanks. Didn't realize the supported LTE networks were listed on there. So basically the Verizon 5s can be used anywhere in the world but you won't necessarily get LTE?

Looking forward to the iPhone 6 even more now. I really wish it had global LTE support like the iPad Air does.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's not that bizarre. There's a lot more room and a lot more battery in the iPad air than on an iPhone. No doubt the chipset used in the Air probably takes up more real estate and consumes more power than the one chosen for the iPhone 5s. They could accommodate it much easier on a big, 10 inch wide device, but not so much on a handheld.

18. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

This^^ ...they have new LTE chips in all new iOS devices this year (one reason they dropped the iPhone 5, the 5c is the same inside, but with new LTE chips).

New iPad Air & iPad Mini retina have one global cell model for all carriers, unlike previous models.

This answers the OP's question. ...iPhones are not the same, as they have to be compatible with the voice signals also, and there's more room in the iPads to put all the channels in one.

19. atomicpete thread starter macrumors newbie

International Data with t-mobile

Thank you for the great information everyone!

Based on your advice I traded in my 4 for an Air and my 5 for a 5s on tmobile so I can "jump" to the 6 when it comes out. I will be able to trying both out in China, Malaysia, and Singapore in the next week and I will post a report...

I am a little concerned with how t-mobile is handling their international data. I used to be with ATT and I would purchase a plan and have data upon landing in whatever country.

Does anyone have experience with t-mobile now that they have free international data?

The rep at the t-mobile store said that I would be able to upgrade to a 2 week 500 MB plan via text message when landing in a different country, but that scares the heck out of me, I know what a pain in the butt it is to get a plan activated when you are out of the country.

20. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Read this guy's experience with T-Mobile international data:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18352354#post18352354