Internet explorer on a mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2001ChevyZ71, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2001ChevyZ71 macrumors member

I know i know, it sounds ridiculous, but hear me out. Im taking a cpt class, and it requires that you have IE to be able to even sign in to the website. I don't really wanna do the boot camp thing, even though i can get it done for free. Is IE on a MBP even possible?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You can try running the Windows version in Crossover

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Nope. There's an old version from like 10 years ago, but that won't work on an intel machine.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Your other option is running virtual through Fusion or Parallels

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One option is to switch user agents in Safari, from the Develop menu:
    ScreenCap 3.PNG
    Another is to run Windows IE with VMWare Fusion or Parallels.
    Another is to try using IE for Mac, which is discontinued and may or may not work: http://internet-explorer.en.softonic.com/mac

6. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

if I may ask, what is the extension of the website that you need to access? If it requires IE, I'd assume it is some form of asp.net site?

I'm not sure, but maybe there is a browser on mac that is capable of rendering these sites?

7. Joined:
    Nov 6, 2010
    Yes and No

Yes, it's possible to run it. I did it, but the version for Mac is VERY, VERY old.. It's like 1990's looking.. It's crazy.. See, Microsoft thinks they are to good to let windows IE on a Mac.. or anything other than Windows... Hmm... Is that why the Mac is growing 8x faster than any other computer in the market...? Lol, they are so dumb.

8. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I tried to run IE8 in WINE but it wouldn't start at all, maybe you will have better luck. I ended up using VMWare. Works perfectly there, a bit tedious to get running.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh the only reason IE was on macs was a contract, that expired....

10. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Your attempt at sounding witty is a failure. Get your facts straight.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What did you run it on? None of the Macs you have posted as using will run it, since it doesn't run on Intel processors.
    Like many of your posts, you display a lack of understanding the facts. IE 5 for Mac was the last version of Internet Explorer to be released on any non-Windows platform, not just the Mac. It is far more likely that their decision was affected by the expiration of their contract with Apple, the antitrust lawsuit brought against Microsoft and economic considerations, rather than them "thinking they're too good" to let IE run on a Mac. This is especially true, given that IE was the default browser for Mac OS for 5 years.
    Mac sales have nothing to do with IE being available for the Mac. Please try to gather some facts before you post, so you don't embarrass yourself by your uninformed posts.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It runs on my Intel (10.6.6) system (using Rosetta, of course).

13. zenio macrumors 6502

14. Joined:
    Nov 6, 2010
    Suree.....

Yeah, why don't you just stop talking, and making me sound stupid, when I am RUNNING EXPLORER RIGHT NOW, HERES A SCREEN SHOT.

Attached Files:

15. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

There's only one person responsible for making you sound stupid...

16. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

17. vectus macrumors member

They weren't doubting the fact that you can still run an older version of IE. They were referring to your obvious troll comment:

I don't even...

18. Joined:
    Nov 6, 2010
    No

No, I was stating that you CAN RUN IE on a mac. It's, just like I SAID, a very old version. It says 1995-2001 con the copyright thing. And stop being to stuck up on MacRumors, your here just like me, because we have nothing better to do. IT'S MACRUMORS, calm down, your not the pope.

19. vectus macrumors member

Yup, you're definitely trolling. You didn't even read my post.

20. Joined:
    Nov 6, 2010
    True...

True... I wasn't really thinking when i said they think there to good to run it on a Mac, but it doesn't make sense why it isn't for Mac... Anyone can make software for a computer... Why can't they? and contract? you certainly don't need a contract to make a web browser.

21. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

The contract was the reason they developed the browser to begin with. Educate yourself on software development and economics, that should answer your questions about why they "can't" make a newer version of IE for OSX. (hint: it doesn't make sense)

22. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

No, but it wouldn't make sense for microsoft to do that. They don't make any money from it, and it would just be one more product to support for a rival company. They do office for mac because they make a buttload of money off of it.

23. Joined:
    Nov 6, 2010
    Why such snobs?

Just to let you know, the reason that I am now trolling, is because sooooooooooooo many people on here are just mean... They post smart mouth comments for no reason, even If I ask if there is anyway to fix my CD drive.. and the new-bes on here, people leave them nasty remarks for no reason. They do this just because they have big titles on here. IT'S MACRUMORS. Chill. Do they relise how dorky that is? I don't understand what it is with all these people on here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.