internet isn't working on my iTouch???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by just some Dude, Sep 26, 2008.

1. just some Dude macrumors newbie

please help

i bought a 16 gb iTouch from craigslist about 5 days ago.

when i try to go on the internet with it, it says 'safari can't open the page because it can't find the server'

VERY RARELY does it work. i tried it about 20 times now and i'd say it worked about 15% of them times.

whats the problem here? i am an extreme 'noob' when it comes to ipods in general, so maybe i'm doing something wrong??? please help b/c this is frustrating.

is this a normal problem? i thought it should work most times. this is one of the features i wanted most when i bought this and now i am very frustrated. :(:(:(

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    What is the encryption on your wireless network?

3. just some Dude thread starter macrumors newbie

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

does the internet have a password? and if it does what kind is it? WEP WPA? I believe the ipod only supports these kind of encryptions

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Does your router have a key (password) that you have to type in to connect the internet, and if so is it a WEP or WPA key?

6. just some Dude thread starter macrumors newbie

i am very sorry, but i really don't know what you're talking about??? :confused: like i said i just bought this itouch a few days ago, and it didnt come with manual and this is the first time ever i have used an ipod of any kind

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Do you have wireless internet? If you do when you select your network under the preferences does it show it connects.

8. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

To use Safari, the iPod touch must join a Wi-Fi network that is connected to the Internet.

I suggest you get yourself a manual.

9. just some Dude thread starter macrumors newbie

my default network is 'dlink'

and it hardly ever connects. i was outside driving and parked in several locations yesterday and it never connected...then last night i was in my bedroom and it wouldn't connect. and i was out driving with it today and it wouldn't connect. a couple times down here in my basement it worked(literally twice) but every other time i tried it it didn't work. do i need to put in a new different network or something? someone told me to keep my default network as 'dlink'. sometimes a lot of different networks show up but a lot of them you need a password for??? and the ipod i'm using is 16 gb and version 1.1.1

10. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

First of all you need to update your ipod to the latest firmware. And also you need to be closer to the router. The wifi reception can only go so far.

11. just some Dude thread starter macrumors newbie

i have to update???

how come it connected a couple times then?

so i have to update? how do i do that?

and what do u mean 'closer to the router'? where is the router? im confused here!

thanks for help

12. sgtboy macrumors 6502

I'll be honest, you needed to do a TON of more research before you bought your Touch. Wifi is wireless internet from a router, a physical device in your house (that is if you have Wifi in your house and not stealing it off your neighbour, perhaps thats why it wont work) This device (router) transmitts a wireless signal which is internet. Your computer that you are posting this on is connected to the internet, follow the cable from your computer to a device and that will be your router. Use your touch next to that device and see what happens

13. just some Dude thread starter macrumors newbie

i have a router that i use for my xbox 360 live playing, but since i sent it in to be fixed i shut my router off. my cable internet modem is right next to me

ur saying if i plug my router in the itouch should work?

and i didnt know u had to be close to a router....then how r u supposed to go onto the internet when ur out in public then?

and i got a great deal on this itouch which i couldnt pass up

14. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Ok if you only have the cable internet modem then you DO NOT HAVE WIFI in your house. meaning anytime you got your touch to work it was because you were using a neighbours connection. And no you dont have to be near your router, i only asked to see if it was a range issue, which it obviously isnt.

Basically, turn on your router (and make sure it is somehow connected by a cable to your modem like it should be)

15. just some Dude thread starter macrumors newbie

well what about when im liked parked in my car somewhere? how can i use it then? or outside anywhere for that matter?

and also, do i really have to update my itouch since it is 1.1.1? or is the update optional?

16. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

You have to find a WiFi hotspot.

By the way, did you get yourself a manual an read it?

17. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

1.1.1 is a really old firmware, and you can easily update the firmware through iTunes. Just connect the ipod to your computer and when iTunes opens it will probably prompt you to download and install the update. Which if you don't pay for the 2.1 you will get 1.1.5 as a free alternative. But 1.1.5 doesn't have the app store or any of the other features.

18. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You can connect only if you have a WiFi connection ... either from a connection that someone has left unsecured or if you've been given the username/password for one.

Ubiquitous internet access isn't possible for any internet capable device - there always has to an access point, ie. in your case, a wireless router.

19. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Update. Now. 1.1.1 is the firmware that originally shipped with the iPod touch, so you have been missing out on A LOT of features, not to mention a lot of bug fixes.

Duh. How'd you think it worked? You need wireless internet access for it to work, it doesn't just connect to some non-existent network where you can have access everywhere.

You don't, unless there's a free Wi Fi hot spot (some places, like shopping centres, have them). It's not an iPhone, it doesn't have EDGE or 3G access which do allow access to internet almost everywhere. It really looks like you're confusing features of the iPhone with the iPod touch.

20. just some Dude thread starter macrumors newbie

and i plugged my router in and its still not working? WTF????? what do i do now? i'm seriously close to just taking it to the nearest Apple store and seeing if they can work it out for me, because i'm really confused and REALLY frustrated at this point!

would i have a better chance of it connecting to the internet with the latest firmware? how much would the most recent firmware upgrade cost?

21. just some Dude thread starter macrumors newbie

note the 'wireless' option on my router isn't lit up but the 'wired' is....? is that the problem? if so how do i get the 'wireless' to light up?

i am so confused, can someone here give me some useful helpful advice? i really don't want any useless nonsense like the last user added. perhaps i should be more informed about itouch's, but since my itouch didn't come with a manual, i thought this would be the best place to come for some advice to help me out, so if u have nothing useful to add, please don't even bother to reply. i really need some help on this.

22. kunze50 macrumors regular

Internet for an iPod Touch only works on WiFi, (internet that floats away from a router). Routers are units that an internet cable is plugged into to make wireless internet, (WIFi). WiFi has a range around a router that is about 100 ft. So your touch can only connect to the internet when it is in the range of the WiFi, (also called a "Hot spot"). Some networks (wireless internet) that a router "gives off" are encrypted, (require a password in some form, WEP or whatever). If you hock up your router use a wizard, (step by step instruction that should have came with it), to create a network with a name and security, (password) for your place. It sounds like your trying to connect to neighbors networks, (internet), and are not close enough to the router that is giving off the "internet". The touch is not like an iPhone where internet works everywhere.
    Also, to update, it is free; just connect the iPod to a computer with iTunes on it. Click on your iPod in the sidebar of iTunes and click, "check for update", then let it update. Hope this helps a bit.

23. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

The iPod touch doesn't come with a printed manual, but in post #9 I provided a link to the site where you can get a pdf-manual. Screaming for help without doing some *basic* research yourself will put the forum users patience to the test. :)

24. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

No. It sounds like this is a problem with your router, or the way it is connected/configured. When you used your router for your xbox did it have to be wired to the xbox or was it wireless?

25. just some Dude thread starter macrumors newbie