Internet not working in office building with 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Joey Mi, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Joey Mi, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

Joey Mi macrumors newbie

Anyone else have this problem? It worked fine when I had the 3GS. I got the phone the day it came out and I'm pretty sure the internet worked last week in my office building. The internet works fine everywhere else.

I can still make calls, receive and send texts, but safari won't load any webpages and apps that use the internet (Facebook) don't load.

When I reset network connections it works for a couple seconds and then doesn't work again.

Anyone know how I can fix this.

2. Joey Mi thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, my iMessage isn't working right now and my battery is getting destroyed.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

iMessage not working makes sense if Internet isn't working.

Very strange issue you're describing. Are you still getting a 3G indicator while this is going on, or is it dropping to E (or worse, O)?

Can you pin it down to a location, e.g. does it work OK near windows or on one end of the building?

I'm thinking some sort of interference in the 3G band, that would affect data but not voice :confused::confused::confused:

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Start walking around the office staring at your phone while you search for internet, hit every corner, snap of a few pics of your coworkers looking at you as if you started happy hour at 8:00am, then post those pics here.

5. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I have the exact same problem.

6. Joey Mi thread starter macrumors newbie

haha alright I'll see what I can do.

I have full 3G service. All 5 bars to be exact.

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

That's almost suspicious - 5 bars inside a building is certainly possible, but rare. I'm wondering if there is a microcell in the building that's causing your problem?

8. Joey Mi thread starter macrumors newbie

It definitely is showing all 5 bars. Not sure if it's right or not though.

After it tried opening a website a pop-up appears saying "Cannot Open Page Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found.".

How would a microcell cause the problem?

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

A microcell (or a repeater) is often used in buildings to give cell coverage indoors where it would normally be weak. Your phone is not connecting directly to the telco's tower, it's connecting to the microcell or repeater. A microcell then connects your phone calls via VoIP and your data through your local Internet; a repeater just re-broadcasts signals out to the telco tower.

In the case of a microcell, voice might work OK (going through VoIP) but you could have Internet issues due to firewall or security settings at the facility - e.g. perhaps a requirement for a proxy server or local network DNS server. Does anyone else in the building have an iPhone 4 / 4S? See if they are having similar problems, and make sure they are not connecting to WiFi.

In the case of a repeater, everything "should" work OK but I suppose it's possible that there is some failure mode that would allow voice traffic but not data. I don't know enough about repeaters to say.

10. Pravius macrumors regular

What encryption method does your company use on their wireless network?

Apple really does not support WEP with long hexi encryption passwords at all, so if it is WEP sounds about right.

11. Joey Mi thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure, but I didn't have this problem with the 3GS. Is that expected?

Also, my wifi is turned off.

12. Joey Mi thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried making a call. The first 2 times it wouldn't connect. The third time it finally went through.

Also, my texts are taking longer than usual to go through.

13. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Something changed. Obviously your phone did :) but something else may have.

Are any other iPhone users in the building encountering the same problem? This is the first thing you need to test, to see if the problem is limited to you (something you can perhaps fix) or not (something someone else has to fix). Without that information, you have no way to know if you are dealing with a problem you can fix or if you're chasing your tail.

14. Joey Mi thread starter macrumors newbie

Just asked a 3GS user and he said his is working.

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Could be a carrier tower problem. Just cause the 3GS user said it was working, it could be he was working and did not want to mess with you:eek:

16. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Tricky problem, obviously they won't be able to duplicate it at the Genius Bar :) and since the phone works outside the building there is "something" between your building (I'm still thinking microcell) and your phone. Now narrow down options.

Anyone else using iOS5? Maybe some issue between the microcell and iOS5.

Is there someone in IT/infrastructure who can tell you if there IS a Microcell or repeater in the building?

17. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Femtocells are using in buildings, microcells aren't.

18. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Technically speaking you're correct, though femtocells from AT&T are marketed under the name "Microcell".

19. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Try "MicroCell"

That extra capital letter distinguishes it for me.

20. Joey Mi thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope.

I'm almost positive I had no problems with this last week.

21. gMacbookPro macrumors member

my friend upgraded to 4 from his 3GS not long ago.
    The 4 is horrible, no signal at all.
    He brought to AT&T get a new sim card, no help.
    Went to Apple store for a new replacement, nothing change.
    So he has to use back the 3GS... :mad:

22. Joey Mi thread starter macrumors newbie

Was his problem with being in an office building too?

23. Joey Mi thread starter macrumors newbie

24. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

Could it be due to this new World phone CHIP inside the new 4S? Thats the major difference between the 3GS and 4S?

Maybe there is a microcell and its not working properly with the new hardware in the 4S.

Should find a 4 user in the building and see how they are making out?

25. 00trayn macrumors member

My 3G has been incredibly slow in my office building, we have a really weak WiFi signal on the 2nd floor and I have an interior office with no windows (not even near a window, haha). Internet is incredibly slow, I don't know if it's the office building or I'm just in a dead zone. I get 2-3 bars. It's a bit frustrating because it wasn't this slow on my old Droid, but overall anywhere else it's faster. Just wish that WiFi signal was stronger...