Internet Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macnificant, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Macnificant macrumors 6502a

I have been having internet problems for 5-6 days.

If you open a webpage it seems to hang for a few seconds more then normal before opening or it doesn't open at all.

I have no idea why, my wife works from home and couldn't get a connection on friday and we had Time Warner come to our house and they couldn't figure it out but reset the modem and router and that seemed to work a little while.

We have a iMac, 3 ipads, Ooma phone and 2 iPhones that are all on wifi.

We have had the Oama phone for 3 months.

Our modem is a motorola sb6141 and our router is the most recent Airport Extreme.

I am not the most knowledgeable but get by with tech stuff.

I noticed today when I had Airport Utility open because I hasn't getting a connection that it showed the internet disconnected. After a few seconds it reconnected.

What is the best way to figure out why all of a sudden we are having internet disruptions ?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... you need to get Time Warner out there to fix it. See those T4 timeout errors that are making the modem reboot, that means there is a bad connection somewhere between your cable modem and the cable headend and only Time Warner can fix it (assuming the connections in your house are good).

5. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

We did have Time Warner out April 17 around 1pm, actually there was 2 guys and they couldn't figure it out and they got it back working by resetting the modem and router at the same.

That was their fix!! They seemed unfamiliar of the Airport Extreme and asked to see the instructions but I didn't have them and told them they are on Apple.com

What show I say when I call them again?

I am online right now with no problem but should I be worried of it going down again?

Thanks

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I went through this with them a few years ago and it took them three trips to finally find a bad connection on a junction box a couple miles away. Just tell them the log shows the modem is rebooting on its own and causing you to lose the connection. Hopefully you can get someone that knows what they are doing.

What I did was even time I lost the connection I would not the time then grab that screenshot showing what happened and that helped convince them it was on their end.

7. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

sorry but what were you taking a screen shot of?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That log your screen capped in post #3. That is the activity log from your cable modem.

9. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't know if this makes sense but it seems that whenever I am away from the computer and then return there is a 1 or 2 minutes where the internet is disconnected which is shown in Airport Utility.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think what is happening is the cable modem is losing the connection and that causes the Airport Utility background app to show that message because the connection was lost.

11. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am having problems with my internet connections again. I took a few screen shots. I was going to call Time Warner but I thought I get a few opinions on here before I call them

Attached Files:

12. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Looks like you are getting those same T3 timeouts as before. These are usually because of a bad connection somewhere along the line between you and the cable plant headend. Nothing much you can do yourself to fix it. I would just call your cable provider to have a service tech come out and take a look.

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

These symptoms are typical for the SB6141. I would get a different modem as the SB6141 has many issues with AirPorts and Netgear routers.

15. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is were I am at now.

My wife works from home for a law firm and she connects to her companies servers remotely.

She started work this morning at 6 am and everything was fine until I logged into my iMac at 10 am and she noticed the Internet going down.

I click on airport utilities and see the Internet disconnecting ever 30 secs or so.

I shutdown the iMac and everything got fine.

Any answers for this situation?

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm not sure why you are ignoring what I suggested earlier (?), but this issue has absolutely nothing to do with your router. As I explained earlier, what is happening is there is a bad connection between your cable modem and the cable plant headend and that causes those T3 drop errors. When the cable modem sees a string of those errors it reboots to attempt a new connection and fix the problem. You need a truck roll from your cable provider to fix this.

18. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Speaking of house connections, make sure you don't have any unnecessary splitters with connected cables leading to nothing.

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... it can be anything between the cable modem and the headend. Bad cables and cheesy splinters included like you suggested.

20. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

I haven't ignored your advice, its just I didn't notice the issues until Friday afternoon and we were busy all weekend and haven't gotten around to calling Time Warner. I know its going to be a painful call dealing with the entry level techs asking me to unplug my modem and wait 60 secs......

I just got to work and here until midnight.

21. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

We have our router and modem right where it enters the house which is central located.

22. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

not sure? I will have to check when I get home.

What should mode should it be in?

23. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I hear you... I went through this with TWC in late 2007 and it took me a month of repeated calls and truck rolls to finally get it fixed. Finally a tech found a bad connection in a junction box a couple miles away and it has been fine ever since.

Just to save you some hoop jumping on the phone, take the router out of the picture and connect the iMac over ethernet directly to the cable modem, then reboot the cable modem and test that way. That is what they will make you do over the phone. This will prove to them it is not your router.

24. satcomer, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

My brother, went through with something similar back in 2008 with TWC. His home area had a private ISP for over 15 years before TWC bought them out! A few years later he was having bad cable TV and his internet was just north of his old dialup! They were fed up and threatened to leave TWC finally sent out an experienced network engineer who found very old equipment on the pole outside his house. After the tech replaced the pole box ALL his problems went away and his network was 150% better!

So the problem is ask the neighbors about if the neighborhood had and older ISP in the last. If so then tell the TWC techs to check the pole box equipment if your parents tell an ISP long local history.

25. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

One thing I did notice was on Friday before there was an issue there was an electrical company digging right across the street.
    I am not sure if Time Warner runs along the poles or are in the ground and the digging screwed my service.