Internet randomly cutting our with Lion GM.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by torana355, Jul 5, 2011.

1. torana355 macrumors 68020

Ok this is the only real issue i have had with Lion GM and it never happened in SL. My modem is still working and my PS3 and Xbox still connect to the net but on my Mac the net will cut out randomly and comes back on after a few minutes??? Anyone else had this issue?

2. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

This has actually been reported here as an issue with SL for a long time. I have this problem with that OS.

But I don't use the Lion GM long enough to see if it's been fixed. I guess not. :( My only solution under SL is to toggle Airport off for a few seconds then toggle it back on.

3. funkdoctor, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

funkdoctor macrumors member

It's happened to me quite a few times over the past few days. My iPhone will still be connected and working fine, but my Macbook requires me to toggle the Airport to resume connectivity. bummer. I should add, I did not have this issue with Snow Leopard.

4. unaxillo macrumors newbie

It happened to me with DP4 and GM, but suddenly all is working fine in the last 48h, and i didnt change anything.

5. ihonda macrumors 68000

this happens to me at least once a day. i have to disconnect then reconnect wifi

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Wow, I'm not thrilled to read this. I have not tried out Lion yet. I do have that intermittent WiFi connection issue wtih my 13"MBP and Snow Leopard (not with anything else - iPhone, iPad, iPod -- all with current software-- and no problem with the MBA running Leopard either). Sometimes I can get it back by just clicking on the Airport icon in menu or opening a new tab with some bookmarked quick-loading thing like the regional weather summary. But sometimes have to on-off Airport, once in a great while I have to restart the machine to get a connection (usually power cycle the router as well if that happens, just to have a fresh go).

I have read lots of threads about this problem (relating to Snow Leopard, I hasten to say) to the point where experimental fixes all feel like a bunch of superstitious rituals no matter what I do. I was kinda hoping that once I got Lion on board, the MBP would snap out of it. That's the only reason I have not taken it up with the Apple tech again, since my machine is refurb purchased in March -- all they did was have me reset the SMC which had no visible impact on how often this dropout happens with Snow Leopard.

I figured that I'd do a clean install of SL, get the Lion from app store and upgrade, then hammer on the WiFi before adding back any third party stuff (of which I have nothing exotic anyway). Now I'm feeling like Lion is not going to help me out but I'll still take my planned upgrade approach and see how it goes.

The router's a DSL-modem-router Siemens Gigaset SE567... no problems with ANY device except with the MBP13" running SL. Having a slow DSL connection in prime-time and sometimes on weekends does not, of course, help me troubleshoot this thing. I've also even wondered about Firefox 4, and now Firefox 5. So I've gone with Safari sometimes but the problem turns up again.

(Tears hair out, apologizes for rant and slightly off-topic since for me it's still an SL issue, but one that I was hoping Lion would resolve... hope info helps someone sometime --> maybe I'm looking at you apple, but maybe I'm looking at the router firmware?).

7. torana355 thread starter macrumors 68020

Just so you guys know I'm getting this issue though wired internet not WiFi...

8. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I'm actually on my second router with SL. Still no luck. All other wi-fi devices in my house work fine except this MBP13 (Early 2011). No problems when I drag it around using other hotspots though. Just my home.

I give up.

I'm hearing the ultimate solution is just to throw in the towel and get an Apple AirportExtreme. :(

But... using Lion for 4 hours now and no problems.

Ethernet? That's a totally different slew of problems. Could be anything from a cable to a router socket.

At least this means there's hope of Lion users that have Wi-Fi issues.

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

OK next step for me is take this mbp13 to a bro's house, he has good broadband, try my WiFi over there for an afternoon, so thanks for posting that note about the hotspots seeming ok... and the info about 4 hours of okayness with WiFi and Lion. I'd settle temporarily for that any day, given past experience on SL with this machine. I am getting so I use it mostly on ethernet, which annoys me.

Now I'm actually almost looking forward to putting Lion on. If I do that and then don't have any issues at my bro's house with WiFi off his setup, but then still do have some WiFi dropouts at home, even if less frequent compared to on Snow Leopard, then maybe Airport Extreme will have to get into the act. Ugh. Car needs 2 tires soon...

10. stewacide macrumors regular

I had no problem on SL with this white MB but it's happening all the time with Lion :(

11. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Oh joy.

I've got a white macbook, 2 MBP's and 2 Dells in the house and only the macs fail. All on Snow Leopard. Doesn't matter which browser we use either.

Go figure.

I still think it started to happen with the 10.6.7 update. Probably followed through with 10.6.8. But what scares me is the same code most likely got ported over to Lion.

12. superericla macrumors 6502

No problems here on my 2011 base 15" MacBook Pro.

13. gmaniax macrumors newbie

wifi problems

ive got an early 2011 15 inch MBP and had no problems at all with SL wifi connectivity for 4 months, installed Lion GM yesterday and now wifi /internet is cutting out all the time to the point it isnt usable (wired works fine). anyone have any work-arounds.. i would hate to do a fresh install back to SL :-( or should i wait for the final Lion release to pass judgement?

14. markrox7 macrumors 6502

I'm having these same problems with 10.6.8. It's terrible. And it's been going on for days now.

15. gmaniax macrumors newbie

all was actually working great in 10.6.8 (i guess i was a lucky one) .... i know wifi was/is a big issue for some in SL, but now it appears that Lion caused the problem

16. markrox7 macrumors 6502

so you're saying you didn't have this problem in SL but you do now in Lion?
    Great… This is my one and only complaint about my MBP.

17. JackButler macrumors member

I'm seeing more of this issue with Lion 10.7 than SL 10.6.8. But yes it happens since like 10.6.7

18. stewacide macrumors regular

I cleared all system caches and reset the PRAM and the wifi hangs seem to have gone away (fingers crossed)

When it was happening clicking on the wifi icon in the menubar, causing it to scan for available networks, would always get it working again.

19. gmaniax macrumors newbie

tried the cache and PRAM thing.. no dice. still unable to use the Wifi at all.. anyone with any other suggests? i would greatly appreciate it.
    Also, In lion, i cant even connect back (using Time machine) to my synology 1511 NAS to roll back in Time Machine before i did the Lion upgrade.. this is on wifi or wired

i guess only have myself to blame for installing the GM, but this is kinda ridiculous

20. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

I have these problems on the Lion GM, connected to an AirPort Express, so it seems that even Apple routers do not solve the problem

21. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I am having a problem but only with iChat (occasionally). It keeps disconnecting but surfing the web still works (and speeds are about the same). I deleted both my Facebook and Me.com accounts from iChat and recreated them and still have issues.

22. pcdsl macrumors newbie

yeah I'm having the same problem after putting in the GM Lion. I had no wifi problems with SL & my Airport Extreme. Now my wifi cuts out all the time. Really annoying

23. firewalker746 macrumors newbie

Same issue, might be TimeMachine related

The one thing I have noticed is this seems to occur when a TimeMachine backup is starting. I haven't had this problem in SN on my many different Macs. It started with my new i5 iMac that I installed Lion on the day of purchase. I'm at least glad I don't have to lug this monster back to the Apple Store.

24. stewacide macrumors regular

I don't use Time Machine and have bad wifi issues.

25. firewalker746 macrumors newbie

TimeMachine Related?

Hey stewacide,

Mine definitely seems to be triggered by the TM backup to my TimeCapsule. However if I leave it long enough the connection will reestablish and TM will complete. As it is now I'm disabling TM during the day. I also found as you did that turning off the Airport card (labled WiFi in Lion) and back on reconnects. Any chance there is a large data transfer occurring on your Mac when WiFi freaks?