Internet speeds required for ATV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Iain76, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Iain76 macrumors newbie

What speeds do you have for your apple TV's. I have 512kbps and am upgrading to 1mbps. I am having difficulty in downloading HD podcasts never mind a full length movie!!!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

768kbps about 8hr to start for HD. Choose movie before work?

I had about 1500 to 1800 last night and it was 2:20 & 58% before "Next" started (96min).

Someone dug up a cable nearby, and had damage copper (lost phone, too). It's fixed now and I'm back up to 2900 or so. I'm going to try again on something else tonight and see how my start time's going to do. It should be <30min, hopefully.

You can see, the fastest you can get and/or afford, the better the experience will be. I'm probably going to be stuck where I am for a while, as I don't see anyone out laying FIOS cable nearby.

3. elmo151 Guest

the faster the better :D

4. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

I have 1.5 Qwest DSL, which usually hovers nearer to 1.0, sometimes much slower... the other day I was at about 350. Thinking strongly about going elsewhere. Cable? Clearwire? Faster DSL not available in my area now.

On a standard def iTunes movie download, it is taking about 30 to 40 minutes before movie can be played... Have not tried an HD movie yet.

5. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

I have 6mb connection from Wide Open West and have no issue dowloading HD Podcasts or HD movies.

6. kbunch macrumors member

kbunch

I have a 7 MB Cox Cable connection. Even at peak it is about 4mb. With HD movies it takes me about 2 min of buffering before I can start watching it, even at peak times.

I have heard DSL users can have very long buffer periods.

Wow I remember back in the day when DSL was > then cable. It now seems cable is better, depending on your area.

7. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

That is certainly my experience with Qwest DSL...