internet tethering & pairing

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 4now, Jan 15, 2010.

1. 4now macrumors regular

I can only get blue tooth - internet tethering to work with my MacBook Pro if I pair the iPhone. I have to do this each time. The MacBook remembers the iPhone is paired but for reason I must go through the steps again before the wireless tethering works

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Jailbroken iPhone?

3. 4now thread starter macrumors regular

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

So you are tethering using the IPCC hack? What iPhone OS version are you running?

DPA

5. 4now thread starter macrumors regular

what is the IPcc hack? I am just having trouble tethering using bluetooth. my phone has never been jailbroken. I am using a 3gs with the latest OS & updates whatever that is.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

4now doesn't specify where he/she is. AT&T in the U.S. is one of the few carriers worldwide that doesn't allow tethering. 4now's carrier may be one of the carriers where it is 100% allowed and supported.

If that is the case, I would recommend 4now contact Apple and/or your carrier for support on this. When I had tethering working on mine, Bluetooth tethering stayed working, all I had to do was select my phone from the Bluetooth drop-down menu item, and choose "Connect To Network" to connect.

Also, if I plugged in via USB, (and had USB tethering on on the iPhone,) tethering was automatically enabled the entire time I was plugged in.

7. 4now thread starter macrumors regular

I'm using Rogers in Canada. Tethering should be supported as it is part of my package. I never have a problem using a USB connection. And with bluetooth I always begin with 'connect to Network' There isn't an error message... just no internet - the blue (tethering) band doesn't appear at the top of my iPhone. But once i pair the iPhone with the MBP tethering occurs (again I need to pair the iPhone every time to get it to work)

8. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

are you sure ur computer has bluetooth? if so, did you set it up correctly. as i can remember its quite involved.