Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
@wicknix I've been looking for the donation button so I can send some beer tokens as thanks ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh
Same here !!! He deserves it for keeping us alive and afloat :) hopefully, I will be successful on the Classila side as I am planning to compile Classila w/ crypto Ancienne for 1.2 capability. Though, I myself am not a programmer, I can follow directions step by step as Kaiser explains. Does anyone have the serial to PowerMachTen ?

Reactions: wicknix

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Seems a lot quicker than TFF on the Pismo, although it has a G4 550 CPU.

Cheers :)

Hugh
Interweb PPC is definitely faster than TFF or Iceweasel PPC. I would say roughly a 20% speed bump on most sites I've tried it on. I was really amazed at how quickly it loaded the full BBC news site. I have ublock origin installed from the classic add ons archive too, obviously that helps. Youtube is still a dog of course, but I have tenfivetube so...don't care.

Never ever say one man can't make a difference....

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Interweb PPC is definitely faster than TFF or Iceweasel PPC. I would say roughly a 20% speed bump on most sites I've tried it on. I was really amazed at how quickly it loaded the full BBC news site. I have ublock origin installed from the classic add ons archive too, obviously that helps. Youtube is still a dog of course, but I have tenfivetube so...don't care.

Never ever say one man can't make a difference....
YouTube will always be that way, till someone in that tech giant decides to pull the plug and allow it to be used with all browsers and even retro ones. I call it tech tyranny.

EddieK420

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
Kind of welcome to the club. I too am diving in to try and work on the classila side. I have all the toolkits, PowerMachTen, Codewarrior 7.1, but a lot of reading I need to do. i am no programmer, but if I can follow the simple instructions, I think I can rebuild classila w/ TLS 1.2 or Crypto Ancienne. I must try.
This would be awesome!! I love MacOS 9. It would be great to use it as my daily driver

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
I know and I just need to find the time to attempt this. I am not a programmer, but Kaiser states that everything is there in steps to compile Classila w/crypto Ancienne.

Luposian

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2005
I dare someone to make a modern web browser for MacOS X 10.3.9 (Panther). Because, right now, I don't have it connected to the Internet at all and the ONLY thing I use my G4 QuickSilver for is making music. That's it. Kinda sad, if you ask me. The reason I don't move up to Tiger/Leopard is because iPiano (the only reason I still have a PowerPC Mac) doesn't work properly (Tiger) or at all (Leopard) in those higher versions and I have invested way too much time and composed too many "MIDI bits" (hundreds) in it's native format, to leave it behind.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I dare someone to make a modern web browser for MacOS X 10.3.9 (Panther).
Links2

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I dare someone to make a modern web browser for MacOS X 10.3.9 (Panther).

Even works on Jaguar. :)

Last edited:

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
I dare someone to make a modern web browser for MacOS X 10.3.9 (Panther). Because, right now, I don't have it connected to the Internet at all and the ONLY thing I use my G4 QuickSilver for is making music. That's it. Kinda sad, if you ask me. The reason I don't move up to Tiger/Leopard is because iPiano (the only reason I still have a PowerPC Mac) doesn't work properly (Tiger) or at all (Leopard) in those higher versions and I have invested way too much time and composed too many "MIDI bits" (hundreds) in it's native format, to leave it behind.
Hi, if all your work is done on Panther, then by all means continue to use it. Panther is a nice OS, though Tiger would be more ideal. Isn't there an iPiano for Tiger and Leopard ? But, again.. if you have invested a lot of time and composed man songs and midi bits, then continue to use it. As for a modern browser, perhaps Classila will work.. or if you can set up a proxy server like Squid, it might allow you to browse on Safari which came with Panther.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
A word about InterWeb and maybe someone can explain to me why it takes longer for a website to load using it, versus TenFourFox which finishes loading pages on my PowerBook very quickly. That is, why isn't InterWeb opening pages as fast as TenFourFox ?

A word about InterWeb and maybe someone can explain to me why it takes longer for a website to load using it, versus TenFourFox which finishes loading pages on my PowerBook very quickly. That is, why isn't InterWeb opening pages as fast as TenFourFox ?

Have you ever used FoxPEP or eyoungren’s prefs.js settings before on TenFourFox?

Reactions: Captain Trips

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Have you ever used FoxPEP or eyoungren’s prefs.js settings before on TenFourFox?
Oh, i forgot about that. I think that might be the reason why 104Fox runs quicker. I will install FoxPEP and eyoungren's prefs.js in it. Sorry about that. Also, is there an update to foxPEP?

darksidekevin

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2021
Great to see you doing this. I enjoyed your work at Pale Moon, I'm now following DBSofts fork of that. Seems Tobin and Moon Child don't like Mac developers or fans, the former especially. Ill be installing on my G4MDD and PowerBook later. Thanks again

Luposian

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2005
Hi, if all your work is done on Panther, then by all means continue to use it. Panther is a nice OS, though Tiger would be more ideal. Isn't there an iPiano for Tiger and Leopard ? But, again.. if you have invested a lot of time and composed man songs and midi bits, then continue to use it. As for a modern browser, perhaps Classila will work.. or if you can set up a proxy server like Squid, it might allow you to browse on Safari which came with Panther.
If there were a version of iPiano for Tiger/Leopard I'd be using it. But the developer dropped off the face of the earth and iPiano stopped being developed. Hence why I stay where I'm at. If there were someone that could design an M1 version of iPiano, based on the file format of iPiano (it's a variation of .XML), and tell me how to rip the patches from the Panther 10.3.9 version of QuickTime (or get them elsewhere/elsehow) and get them into that new version (newer/older samples don't sound the same in my MIDIs), I could retire the ol' G4 beast and use the M1 for even more! Maybe hafta hop on over to PeoplePerHour or another Freelancer group to find someone... :D

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Just an update....
We are moved in and mostly unpacked. I've cloned TFF's repository to mine and applied interwebppc's changes found here: https://github.com/wicknix/InterWebPPC/
For now I'm just doing the generic G3 builds for best compatibility. So Altivec is disabled in these builds. I may build all 3 (g3,g4 and g5) builds at a later date, but it seems to run quite well without Altivec enabled.

That's all for now.

Cheers.

Just an update....
We are moved in and mostly unpacked. I've cloned TFF's repository to mine and applied interwebppc's changes found here: https://github.com/wicknix/InterWebPPC/
For now I'm just doing the generic G3 builds for best compatibility. So Altivec is disabled in these builds. I may build all 3 (g3,g4 and g5) builds at a later date, but it seems to run quite well without Altivec enabled.

That's all for now.

Cheers.

Should you venture into compiling a version with AltiVec support included, I’d be intrigued to test whether it delivers a performance improvement on rich media whilst running on the SL-PPC builds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.