Introduce myself + for the first time a Mac owner! Suggest and tips!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DutchAmerican, Jun 26, 2012.

1. DutchAmerican macrumors member

Hello guys and girls ofcourse,

I'am new on this forum because for the first time I bought a Macbook! I already got an iPhone and (new)iPad and now finally a Macbook Pro.

I own this Macbook now for 4 days and I have to say, great experience and exactly what I had expected! I am a person who can handle new system pretty fast so I already know a lot of the system (and ofcourse a lot I don't know;P).

But now I come to a point were I have to get help. On the iPhone and iPad the app store is a fast an clear shop. You buy a simple app and you use it. I have only apps I really use on this systems.

Now I would like to buy some Mac-apps what can improve some of my aspects of using the Mac. I would like to know which apps are a real must, or where some of you would say, dam bro, you really have to one of these because it is amazing!

I hope you can suggest me or telling me some tips. And I am really looking forward to be an active person on this forum!

Thanks all and speak you soon :)

DutchAmerican,

Jeroen

2. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I'm in the same boat, got my first on Saturday. Just read read read!

3. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

first things i do is usually personalize my mac the way i want, this is what i do:

1. Hook up my external drive and throw movies, music and stuff in (so i already have som entertainment for the bus, train, flight / whatever)

2. Have all the software i use up to date.

3. backup iPhone, iPad and everything on it (if you use laptop for that kind of thing)

4. Install BootCamp (windows 7) and install all the games i use (this is just me, but i usually use my mac for lan parties and just hook it up to a 100Hz gaming monitor, i only play Counter-Strike or WoW at lans so no problem there for gaming!)

5. basically just use it, like you normally use a computer, it will be a great experiences the more you use it.

6. i Don't really use the appstore that much for the mac, i only have some small ones that like tell me the weather and change wallpaper and such.. theres also some light games on there as well (nova, dungeon hunter, i guess you know these from the iOS appstore)

4. gusnyc macrumors 6502

Welcome!

Congratulations and welcome to the world of Macs! You won't be disappointed!

One app that I like is Pixelmator, it is beautiful, and a good replacement for Photoshop, if you don't have to do super-specific hardcore editing.

I am into photography, so I use Aperture instead of iPhoto. Aperture is made by Apple, and it syncs with iCloud services, like photo stream, which is great with your iPhone and iPad.

One thing that somebody told me when I started using my first Mac was, "if you don't know how to do something, ask yourself, what is the easiest way to do what I want to do? Drag and drop goes a long way in a Mac". Sure enough, it worked most of the time.

Welcome again!

Gus

5. stevelam macrumors 65816

is there anything you're looking to do specifically? its hard to suggest things without knowing.

don't forget that mac now also has its own app store as well. you can check out all the top sellers/editors picks etc etc just like you can with the app store on ipad/iphone.

6. Skjetne macrumors member

A couple of apps i love:

Alfred - search, start apps, google search, and just about anything
    skitch - screenshots w/ uploading
    istat - if your a bit of a geek and would like system info
    caffeine - keep the mac from going to sleep
    Better snap tool - get apps to fullscreen, halfscreen, etc..
    unarchiver - winrar basicly
    app cleaner - uninstall apps

and of VLC and other std. apps

Thats my list of "must haves" :)

7. CosmoPilot, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Congrats and welcome to the club!

In terms of must have apps.

If you have any DVD collection at all, I recommend:

1. Handbrake (google it)
    2. VLC

You'll see the real power of a mac creating digital backups of your personal DVD collection. Now add an Apple TV to your list of toys and you'll be in Apple nirvana!

If you need Windows while you make the transition, I recommend Parallels (others will recommend VM Fusion...both great virtual machines). This will allow you to run a purchased copy of Windows as a virtual machine on OSX. Another option (and cheaper) is bootcamp (comes with OSX).

I'm a big fan of Cinch (Apple app store)
    Pages (App store)
    Keynote (App store)
    Numbers (App store)

The last three work well with iOS versions (Documents in the Cloud)

Again, congrats and good luck. There is much to learn in this forum!

8. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Id get dropbox and evernote since you have an ipad and Iphone.

9. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

It's not on the App Store but RightZoom is a small download that makes the green maximize button in the top-left corner of windows behave like in Windows and always make apps maximize to full screen, yet your menu bars stay there unlike the Full screen button in the top right corner.

10. Mojo1, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Welcome! As a frequent visitor to the Netherlands I am happy to see someone from that fair country joining this forum.

Well, one must-have app that immediately comes to mind is 1Password. It's a bit pricey as utilities go, but it's worth every penny. (It can sometimes be found at a discount, particularly around the Christmas holidays.) One master password provides you access to all your passwords, software registration, personal information, account and credit card info. Visit a website and 1Password fills-in whatever is needed with one-click.

There is also an iPhone/iPad version. Keep your 1Password data in Dropbox (also essential and free for a basic account: www.dropbox.com) and it is automatically updated and available to any iOS device and Mac that you own. Your data is safely encrypted; just be sure to use a strong password or passphrase for your 1Password master password.

I also highly recommend David Pogue's "Missing Manual: Lion" which is available in a Kindle edition for around $10 U.S. (Download the free Kindle apps and read it on your iPhone, iPad and Mac.) I've been using Macs since the mid 90s and I always have a Missing Manual on hand. It's a great way to learn your way around Macs (I've learned a LOT from the iPhone 4S edition). It will get you up and running quickly and painlessly.

11. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

Welcome!

Along with what most everyone has said already, a few apps that I am a big fan of are;

Caffeine
    Handbrake
    Automator
    iStat
    GeekTool

For pretty general use, these are most suitable for me. Others into serious programming and photo editing would add different things of course!

Enjoy, I'm sure you will love it.

12. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

Alfred - www.alfredapp.com The powerpack is well worth the cost.
    Evernote
    1Password

13. DutchAmerican thread starter macrumors member

WoW guys, what an awesome welcome! Thank you very much!

@Gus, thanks for the great tip. You have absoluttly right, think simple and you van find it. At this moment I am putting all my photos on the Mac so I have a simple view of all the pictures I got. When I am done with that I would like to photoshop them but not with Adobe Photoshop. The program is really difficult and I am not THAT hardcore photo editor. I just want to make some pictures looking better or with a great effect on it.

@Sketjne, I just downloaded Skitch and App Cleaner. App Cleaner seems to be a very good cleaner for the apps. Skitch I will make use of tonight, so I can get to know the app.

@GGJStudios, thanks for the sticky, I will definitely read this. (I already should have done that haha)

@Mojo1, nice to have a country-member here too! You can't find a really good forum about Mac in the Netherlands so I came here. And also, in the Netherlands everybody knows everything soo much better (mentality). Happy with an American forum.

I just installed Adium and some games (GTA SA and GTA VC, amazing!). The most difficult part is to learn all those small things like when you type an english word wrong it gets red, then how to correct it right. But, these things can be learn so will read everything that passes by! :D

14. DutchAmerican thread starter macrumors member

With the tips of all you guys I have managed to make some things pretty clear on the Macbook. Only 1 thing isn't clear for me.

At a windows-PC you start a program, when you are done with that you close it and the program stops and closes.
    With Mac it is different. But can someone tell me or suggest me the best way or program to have a nice overview of the running apps. Because this is my first and new Mac I don't want it to get contaminated.

What I would like to know:
    - Which apps are running at the moment
    - Which apps I can close that I don't use at the moment
    - Programs that have a lot of unused scripts of other mess what you can delete without not working the app.

It doesn't matter if I have to pay for it, I just want an overview and controls to close apps and delete unuseful things.

15. leman macrumors 604

Why would you want to go there? The nice thing about Mac is that you don't have to care about things like that. I usually never close applications on my old MBP, and yet it runs like a charm. I have Mail, iCal, App Store, Steam, Skype, Trillian, R, TextMate, XCode, iTunes, Chrome with 20-30 tabs etc. open at all time - have yet to notice a slowdown. And yes, I only have 4GB RAM. Inactive applications don't really use many resources.

If you absolutely want to see which apps are running, you can look at the Dock (highlighted apps are running right now and can be closed if you don't need them), or use Activity Monitor (be careful about it though, you can kill an important system process if you don't know what you are doing).

For managing disk space, I can recommend the excellent OmniDiskSweeper. It helps you to find big files and folders you don't need anymore and delete them.

16. SR71 macrumors 68000

This is the first thing I install on all of my Mac's. I've never liked how the green maximize button works in OS X; I much prefer the maximize button in Windows, as crazy as that sounds, and with this simple tweak, I get the same functionality on a Mac.

17. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Most of the apps that are mentioned in this thread are junk. Don't listen to these people and contaminate your new MBP with these vile apps. Most of them are redundant

Just get BetterTouchTool. Its hands down the best app for OS X.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Care to post some facts to prove your claim? If not, it's just one person's uninformed opinion.

19. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Appcleaner. You don't need that. Just delete your app the usual way. Sure you have residual files left but if you know where they are you can easily delete them. Anyway those residual files wont harm the computer. Furthermore applecleaner doesn't find all those left over files.

Alfred - you already got spotlight to launch everything why need something else.

caffeine - my mac never goes to anyway sleep unless I close the lid. do you really need yet another app

istat/geektool - seriously even the ultimate nerds don't give a poopoo about monitoring their stats. I dont even use the build in activity monitor that much

parallels - virtualbox is completely free

vlc - mplayer (any derivative of it) has the same functionality and has a much cleaner/simpler interface. Isn't that why we buy from Apple in the first place? Anyway this might be just a preference

So yeah basically BTT is the only one that has any significant impact on ANY user. Its THE app to get. Of course you got other good apps but they are situational and not for everyone. Some are just common sense anyway

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I completely agree.
    I don't use it, but those that do can probably tell you why they prefer it over Spotlight.
    Caffeine is very useful if you want to temporarily override sleep settings without having to open System Preferences. One click on the Menu Bar turns it on or off. If you don't have a use for it doesn't mean others don't. I use it constantly.
    You may not, but there are many who like to track what's going on with their battery, temps, fans, uptime, memory management, disk free space and utilization, CPU utilization, network status, etc. iStat Pro shows all of that with a simple move of the mouse. Like a great many others, I find it quite useful.
    Again, it's personal preference. You may prefer VirtualBox, but others prefer Parallels or VMware Fusion.
    Yes, it is a preference. Like many, I've found VLC to be more reliable than many other options, and it supports more file types than many others.
    Actually, I've never found a need for BTT. I know many like it, but it's clearly not for everyone.

The bottom line is that nothing you've said proves that any of the apps you mentioned are junk. AppCleaner is useless, but all the others serve a purpose that some will find useful and others may not. Just because you prefer an app doesn't mean others will, and vice versa.

21. stevelam macrumors 65816

appcleaner is handy PRECISELY because you don't know where ALL the residual files are. if you want to search around your computer yourself and delete them, go for it. or you could not run a GUI at all and just do everything via terminal.

agreed. spotlight came along and basically made popular apps like quicksilver redundant.

um i always use istat. it gives me an immediate indicator that something is taking up too many cpu/ram resources than it should. super handy if you're running a lot of applications and want to know which is suddenly bogging down your machine.

sure. i use virtualbox with no issues.

meh. mplayer was slower and buggier for a long time. vlc definitely has a ****** UI though and stretches that ****** UI across pretty much all platforms but its always been the reliable workhorse for playing all video media.

i defintely find BTT to be super handy, especially for the windows-like window snapping as well. i hate the way OSX does window management.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Neither does AppCleaner. In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

23. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Have had my Mac for about a week now and the following are apps that have made my transition more efficient and comfortable.

1. XChat Azure (IRC)
    2. Caffeine
    3. Xfinity Caller ID (For Comcast customers)
    4. Firefox
    5. Kindle
    6. Twitter
    7. Skype
    8. Dropbox
    9. Stuffit Expander
    10. Steam
    12. Adobe - Air, Flash, Reader
    13. Pages
    14. Windows 7 Premium via Bootcamp (For Windows only gaming)

Hope you are enjoying your new Mac as much as I have!

24. DutchAmerican thread starter macrumors member

Well it is the idea of having an app closed. And yes, I have to step of the idea that I need to close a window or program to make it not working anymore, like in windows. It's the same as apps on the iPad, if you don't use them, they don't use any memory or CPU. But still I am wondering, if you have all those things active, don't you really feel any latency on your Mac?

I Just installed the app and I am working with it. Is this the only app you have installed or do you have any other apps because you say these apps are junk ;)