Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Intuit Debuts Rebuilt Quicken Essentials for Mac

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Intuit today announced the release of Quicken Essentials for Mac (QEM), a complete rebuild of the company's personal financial management application.
QEM launches a new era for Quicken on the Mac. It marks Intuit's first Mac-native application for Quicken, that is, a product developed specifically to run on a Mac operating system, instead of adapting a product originally designed for a PC. QEM's features serve a broad array of essential customer needs, focusing on quick set-up, ease-of-use, and Mac-like intuitiveness in design and workflow. The redesign reflects the influence of the Mint.com product team and its deep experience with Apple products.
Walt Mossberg offers a review of the new Quicken, finding "seriously mixed feelings" for the update. Mossberg notes that the application now benefits from a true Mac look and feel, along with updated data conversion from Windows versions and more banking interface options. QEM, however, also feels to Mossberg like a stripped-down version of Quicken for Windows and even loses some features that were present in Quicken 2007 for Mac.
Most important, Quicken Essentials doesn't display, or even allow you to enter or edit, individual transactions in investment accounts. It only shows a snapshot of the current status and value of the overall investment account and of the securities or funds it holds. It also lacks a bill-paying feature. And it can't export your data to Intuit's popular TurboTax program. Even the much-maligned older Mac version could do these three things.
Mossberg reports that the Mint team now in charge of the division has conceded that the Mac version is missing some important features and is currently targeted at users new to personal finance software with only basic needs. The company plans, however, to add such features as detailed investment tracking and bill pay to a future update.

Intuit announced in early 2008 that it would be rewriting Quicken for the Mac platform, and was expecting at that time to release the new version later that year. After several delays and another complete ground-up rebuild, Intuit committed last July to a February 2010 release that it met with today's launch.

Quicken Essentials for Mac is available via CD-ROM or direct download for $69.99.

Article Link: Intuit Debuts Rebuilt Quicken Essentials for Mac

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I have used Quicken on the Mac since 1991
It has not added any significant value in many years and seriously lagged behind its Windows counterpart

It is not surprising this long anticipated release would be a disappointment
It was pretty much expected to be a watered down and neutered version

Meh
In other news, the sun came up today

Comment

bigjohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2000
Monrovia, CA
It's a little shocking that a software company can so underserve a burgeoning sector of the market as much as Intuit does.

This is what they've spent so much time working on, a stripped down version of a product already released?

I hope they notify me when Quicken Pro for Mac is available.

Comment

bassplayer13

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2008
If they discount it to say $14.99, I would buy it in a second. :cool: $69.99 for this? I think not.

Comment

waywardsage

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
CA
Finally. I was waiting for this for a while. I made the switch to Mac a while back and didn't want to install windows just to run Quicken.

Comment

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Since it essentially mint.com running locally, what is the point. With mint.com I can access it from anywhere, get a free iPhone App, with all the same features.

Why not just call the thing mint and have it sync with the mint.com server and make it cheap $10-20. I think they would have a lot more success.

Comment

0racle

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
North Carolina
The last time that a major software company announced something special for the Mac by writing a whole new app from scratch instead of porting the existing one we got Entourage instead of Outlook from MS.

And it sounds like Intuit just shipped their version of Entourage.

Comment

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
For the last year or so I was part of the beta test for this which was originally called Quicken Financial Life for Mac. A lot of the better features came along in recent builds and has seen great improvement since the start of the beta process. While I agree that the investment and export features are a disappointment, I think there are quite a few really nice features in this release and am looking forward to using it. It simplifies a lot of the process for the home user to pull CC and banking information into software, categorize and analyze their spending and budgets. I looked at a lot of other Mac financial softwares recently such as MoneyWell, SeeFinance, Money3 and almost every other software out there and many of them missed the boat on interface and reporting. This release will probably have bugs and still need improvement as it is a v1.0 of this incarnation for Quicken, but I think it has the potential through updates not only for bug fixes but for additional features to be a really good home solution. I pre-ordered mine and will be receiving it by early next week.

Comment

undaunted

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
I bought it. :)

I was pleasantly surprised that it works seamlessly with TD CanadaTrust (Canadian bank) even though they are saying Essentials is not supported here. I haven't been a Quicken user in years so I am treating this like a 1.x app. To that end it matches up quite well to iBank, MoneyWell, Money, etc (I tried them).

One annoyance that I have is that none of the personal finance apps seem to do budgeting as well as I would expect. I want a budgeting app that has great print capabilities and reports which show budget vs actual.

Comment

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
I think this will meet my needs, but for $70 I'll keep using my 2007 version which is buggy for me.

Comment

BaldiMac

macrumors 604
Jan 24, 2008
Since it essentially mint.com running locally, what is the point. With mint.com I can access it from anywhere, get a free iPhone App, with all the same features.

The point would be that some people don't trust all of their financial information to the cloud.

Mint is also currently missing the ability to enter manual transactions and scheduled transactions. And it handles split transactions rather poorly. Of course, Intuit has promised these features in the future.

Comment

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
The last time that a major software company announced something special for the Mac by writing a whole new app from scratch instead of porting the existing one we got Entourage instead of Outlook from MS.

And it sounds like Intuit just shipped their version of Entourage.

Actually, thats completely off-base...

Entourage removed compatibility with the Windows version, while this adds it.

A better comparison would be iMovie...

And except for the fact that iMovie does not copy its sources (and its lack of a "save" feature), its much better than the older iMovie in many ways.

Comment

neuregulin

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
New York City
70 buc! I need to manage that!! seriously!

Tons of free software, and if you are like me, not a super rich, my major bank has all I have and owe, on one single page!......

:eek:

Comment

arilev

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2004
Oakland, CA
I've been beta testing this for a while and it's a disappointment. Yes, the basic functionality is solid, and yes it's more "Mac like" than its predecessor but really you're spending $70 on a glorified checkbook register. You'd be better off using mint.com which is now owned by Intuit and costs exactly $0. Two examples of my own disappointment with QEM 2010:

My 401k is with Paychex. While mint.com works flawlessly with my 401k, QEM 2010 does not work with Paychex. Further, if your 401k provider is not in the supported list there is no method of manually adding/tracking it.

My checking and savings account are with Webster bank. While mint.com is able to automatically connect and pull balances and transactions, QEM 2010 forces me to login to the bank's website and export a QFX file and then import it into QEM. Why is it that a free web service has a more streamlined way of working with my bank than a supposedly full featured, costly desktop program?

Don't bother spending the money.

Comment

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
Go get MoneyWell instead!
http://nothirst.com/moneywell/

No I am not a spammer. I was just a long time Quicken user who was so fed up that there really wasn't competition that I had to keep using Quicken which was really bad. I stayed on the lookout for a better solution and am very happy with MoneyWell.

I tried out a bunch of different software including Cha-Ching, Mint.com, MoneyDance, iBank, even Microsoft Money via VMWare Fusion.

I was so impressed by MoneyWell that I joined their public beta team for the 1.4 release. A new major release of 1.5 just came out. It has some bugs common to a new release but Kevin the developer is very responsive with feedback etc.

So I know this sounds like total spam but honestly it is not. I want to see MoneyWell live a very long life and know that a good word goes a long way.

Seriously go check it out. The layout was quite different from Quicken so it will probably take your brain some adjustment but the different is so good.

Comment

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
The point would be that some people don't trust all of their financial information to the cloud.

Mint is also currently missing the ability to enter manual transactions and scheduled transactions. And it handles split transactions rather poorly. Of course, Intuit has promised these features in the future.

That being said, what is it about putting the application in the cloud that makes Mint free, while providing the same features as the Desktop app, which costs $70? Especially, since the dev costs are nearly the same, and the online app has running costs, which the desktop one doesn't. (not including upgrades/bug fixes, which both share).

I think Web firms have seriously devalued their product to the point where many of them provide useful features, but make no money (and Google has been a huge "help" in the devaluation).

Hardly anyone, except Google, Facebook and salesforce.com (which smartly enough did not devalue their services to $0) are making money online..

Comment

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
I guess I'll stick with MS Money and Parallels until Intuit get round to doing a proper job. If they ever do.

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

If there were a free trial (maybe there is and I just don't know it) and an iPhone app, I'd try it. Looks nice visually, and my needs are fairly basic. But I'm not paying $70 unless I can try it out and use it on my iPhone.

Comment

ScottMe

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
No investment tracking, no import to TurboTax. Completely useless to me. Epic fail.

Is there some reason that the software companies think no one wants a tool to manage their portfolio? Even Microsoft abandoned MS Money. And Intuit, well, they have always made crap anyway so this latest excrement shouldn't be a surprise. :mad:

So I run Microsoft Money 2003 in Windows via Fusion. How pathetic is that?

Comment

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
I switched from Quicken to ChaChing about 6 months ago. I would never be able to go back now. The ChaChing Mac and iPhone apps sync and work so well together. It is actually a joy to use.

Comment

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I like the example screenshot. First off, the "person" has $200,000 in checking but only $4,000 in savings and investments (just seems kind of odd to me). And then after you do the math, figuring in $4000 of credit card + other debt, some how the net worth is only $45,000 (I guess this could be possible somehow). And then there is the pie chart. Health & Fitness (in purple) figuring in at 5% of last month's spending some how represents about 33% of the entire pie.

Maybe I am missing something here, but this doesn't appear to be a good screenshot example.

I run Quicken for PC myself and I like it very much.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.