Invisibleshield Pathetic

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by taylorwilsdon, Jul 24, 2008.

1. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I posted a review of the bestskinsever and compared it fairly competitively to the more expensive invisibleshield.

A blog commenter came on and trashed bse, saying how much better invisibleshield was, etc...

At first, I thought hey, everyone has different experiences. Simply out of curiosity, I put his IP into a locater. It came up as... Salt Lake City, Utah - home of Zagg (invisibleshield). Of course, this could be a coincidence, so I asked him outright in an email.

He beat around the bush for several replies, talking about other stuff, about how he had owned the bestskinsever. Finally, he told me that he didn't work for Zagg.

His email:
    The problem was? In one of the emails, he sent the reply with the display name not as his online handle (Dramastic08 and "Tron Stafford") but with his real name, Jason Melville. A little googling found him featured on Zagg's website, as an employee of Zagg doing a youtube report from the iPhone launch at the "invisibleshield bus".

Needing closure, I asked the company if they had him as an employee - the answer? A big fat yes.

Pathetic... their employees lie about their affiliation to trash competitor products in unbiased 3rd party reviews.

Just thought I would share my funny little bit of detective work.

Here he is as their employee, posting on their blog.
    http://www.zagg.com/community/blog/?p=10 (that is him in the video).

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Pretty sad; I've been trying to get my IS for my iPod 30GB/Video since January '08, when I turned in my silicon case for the FREE IS. Turns out that ZAGG was out of that style and they gave me an email address to send my info and going on (7) months I'm yet to see the stinkin' IS, while my iPod is "totally naked" and parked in the computer desk drawer...:( I'm leaning towards BSE!!!:mad:

3. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

Wow, whats the point in lying about it. I can understand that if you work for a company, you may want to defend their products but theres no point in lying about it.

4. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Exactly. I would never have batted an eye if he had been upfront.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

6. busterbluth macrumors 6502

Its not really relavant to this thread but I got the IS, its complete crap, I already called and requested a return. i got the bady gaurdz based on some other images in another post...we will see hot it turns out (no I don't work for body gaurdz)

7. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

I am satisfied with my IS, except for the bezel coverage along the two sides. Upon hearing this, however, I will not be buying from Zagg again.

I now understand why Apple employees are not allowed to associate with online discussions/message boards/reviews relating to Apple.

8. acrafton macrumors 6502

I have been a happy user of BSE for a while - Iphone, Iphone 3G, Macbook Pro, and Touch. When I made my first order last year they screwed it up . . .I sent a complaint email and the pres of the company responded and called me to apologize - no excuses, they screwed up and he admitted and then he overnighted my stuff to me. I like that.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I agree, that's the way it should be handled when they screw up. I have ZAGG's president's business card and personal email, but I've received one response back in February '08, and they've never responded to the other emails I've sent. I've been the biggest promoter of IS, but now I can't even put one foot on the soapbox...:mad:

10. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I think that's for a slightly different reason, the legal liability with people representing your company on open forum without approval.

11. A-G macrumors newbie

excuse me taylorwilsdon, can i have a link to your review of BSE?

12. elbirth macrumors 65816

not only does he seem like a complete tool by that email snippet, but he removed all doubt in that video. could they have picked a bigger fool to work from them and send to WWDC?

released in "over 70 different companies"

"real time video uploading and sharing"

"supposably dramastic improved audio, better camera, etc"

just... wow

13. barjohn macrumors newbie

I placed an order with ZAGG a little over two weeks ago. I am in California and they are in Utah. After a week I decided to cancel the order. I sent an email requesting that my order be cancelled and then followed up the same day with a phone request to cancel. I was told that it had already shipped and it was too late to cancel the order. I asked when it was shipped and could not get a definitive answer. The same day I ordered the BG cover. The next day I received a shipped notice and it arrived the day after that. Today, more than 2 weeks later and after another email to Zagg stating I had never received the order and to cancel it, the IS order showed up. They expect me to believe that a shipment via first class mail from Utah took over a week to arrive in CA.

I will now have to call and go through the return process. My fingers are crossed.

14. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

That video was classic.."dramastic". Hilarious..sharing media between me and mac.com. What a guy. :eek:

15. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

+1, almost exactly what happened to me. Except I got the IS in about 3 days (in CA as well). I just hate to pay for return shipping. BG is working awesome on my wife's white iphone, time to install one on my black one.

Great detective work OP! I'm much less of an IS fan now.

16. bgalm macrumors newbie

While I do agree that customer service is an important factor in buying decisions, I have always believed that the product quality should come first. I mean, there's this great computer store near where I live, and they have the worst customer service ever, but they sell great products at great prices -- and so people FLOCK there!

So in terms of ZAGG, yes, that guy in the video is a complete dumbass, and they seem to have pretty ****** customer service. HOWEVER, I have read MANY reviews of the InvisibleShield (not just for the iPhone) and it has gotten quite a bit of praise from a lot of people.

In conclusion, I'm still going to try my IS that I ordered July 3 (shipping tomorrow!) and hopefully it will live up to those reviews.

I'm hoping that a crappy company can make a good product :D

17. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, slightly. Still, this guys is representing Zagg in a very unbusinesslike and incredibly rude and deceitful manner. Knowing this, I can no longer support or even recommend Zagg for their IS. Late shipping, less than perfect coverage, and outright bashing of competitors products is enough for me. Sanctioned or not, he should know better.

18. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

You speak the truth.

19. raymanster macrumors regular

raymanster

I wouldn't recommend Zagg to anyone. Like a lot of people I wanted to cancel my order because it took so long. The next day I got an email saying it had shipped.

I ordered 3 shields and when I opened the envelope I found an opened product box/packaging with the 3 shields. They obviously did this to save on shipping. The worst thing is they never even labelled the shields (I ordered 2 for the 3G and one for the original iPhone).

I emailed them shortly after receiving my order to complain. This was over a week ago and I still haven't received a reply.

I scrapped both Invisishields as they fit so badly and have ordered BSE instead for my 3G. I hope my experience with their product will be better.

20. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I've always found Zagg to be okay but my pre-order for the 3G iphone is still not with me. It was dispatched late and not received. They say they've sent a replacement but again... nothing received. Would hesitate to recommend them again after this latest order. Will be giving somebody else a go next time.

21. sibruk macrumors 6502a

I ordered two Invisible Shields for our 3Gs and, I am sad to say, the product is utter crap. A complete waste of £30 ($60).

If you want a clearly visible overlay of scratched-looking plastic completely ruining the screen of your iPhone, and a cut out which does not conform to the back of the device whatsoever making the iPhone look like a cheap knock-off, then (In)visible Shield is for you!

I wish it weren't the case, but it has completely put me off putting any overlay on my iPhone now. :mad:

22. mykoljay macrumors member

I've bought from both. I've bought a skin for MacBook Air, Moto Q, 2 cameras and now the iphone 3g. My iphone skin came from BSE in 2 days (much faster than the device itself!). They are both the same quality.

Zagg has a bigger selection though (for example they had the MB Air skin first), but I only buy from them when there is a coupon.

I have to say Zagg was responsive with their customer service when they had a miscut on their MB Air skin (one of the pieces was backwards).

23. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

that sounds really bad.
    lol.
    i ordered a BodyGuardz.
    i hear they are better than ZAGG.

24. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

25. ClemTiger0408 macrumors 6502

I don't think there is any doubt that best skins ever is a far better company than Zagg is.

Personally, I like the product BSE offers over the IS. I think the coverage of the skin is better and the view quality is MUCH better. I don't much care for how the corners are handled, but none of the clear skins handle the corners very well. BSE owns IS simply because it covers the chrome bezel.

I've purchased 5+ BSE's for various products and 2 IS's mainly just to test against the BSE.

So thats how I feel about the product. Now how I feel about the companies.

Shipping:
    Zagg takes weeks to ship. Many people who ordered the IS before the iPhone 3g came out are STILL waiting for the order.

BSE: For the iPhone 3G I placed my order at about 3pm on a Thursday, received an email saying it shipped later that night, and received the product on Saturday.

Service:
    Zagg: Honestly, I haven't had much experience with troubleshooting with the IS.

BSE: One of the best services I've ever seen out of any company ever. I convinced my friend to buy a BSE. He was dumb and installed the BSE on top of the plastic wrap that covers the screen of the product (wasn't an iPhone, I think it was a ZEN). He contacted BSE just to see if he could order just the front piece and in the email explained why he needed just the front piece. They sent him an email an hour back saying they had sent him a free replacement. He got it two days later.

Free replacement for user error? That's service.

Price:
    IS costs $30, BSE costs $10. Personally I think BSE actually has the superior product taking price out of consideration. No contest.