Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Nope, not what I said.
"The only improvement that I've seen is in regards to marketing propaganda" -> In a thread regarding the improvements to "Ion-X" glass.

Not sure what else you could have been stating, but whatever.

If you're interested in the technology https://www.corning.com/asean/en/in...s/the-secret-of-tough-glass-ion-exchange.html

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/en/videos/16

It's fascinating stuff honestly. Glass's strength is entirely related to the difference between the surface tension and the internal tension.

Have a good one

aKansasKid

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
When my 6s got a micro-scratch within the first 2 or 3 days, I sent it back. None of my other phones ever had a scratch, and I didn't want an $800 new phone annoying me its whole life. A week or two later my two year old Galaxy S4 got a nice juicy micro-scratch, its first. Karma! If such things bother you, then like me, you're probably not cut out for expensive, new phones.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
It's always fascinating to watch people go to war in these forums over a highly specialized topic that none of us are experts in.

Personally, I try to keep it big-picture. I would bet the new glass is stronger in many ways than the old. I don't think Apple is completely BS'ing us. Whether that strength all goes to shatter resistance or scratch resistance - who knows. There are too many variables such as how you drop your phone, how it impacts something, and what it impacts. Often people don't even know how they scratched their device.

I know what we all want is a scratch-proof phone. I think we'll pretty close to there in the next few years. Think about the camera lens - it's been virtually scratch-proof sapphire for a number of years. I wipe it with my shirt and never think twice about it.

Reactions: Goatllama

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
It's always fascinating to watch people go to war in these forums over a highly specialized topic that none of us are experts in.

Personally, I try to keep it big-picture. I would bet the new glass is stronger in many ways than the old. I don't think Apple is completely BS'ing us. Whether that strength all goes to shatter resistance or scratch resistance - who knows. There are too many variables such as how you drop your phone, how it impacts something, and what it impacts. Often people don't even know how they scratched their device.

I know what we all want is a scratch-proof phone. I think we'll pretty close to there in the next few years. Think about the camera lens - it's been virtually scratch-proof sapphire for a number of years. I wipe it with my shirt and never think twice about it.
Don't think it is. Consumer Reports did a test and it is the same scratch resistance as the previous generation.
Until they use synthetic Sapphire or better, we may not see anything more scratch resistant.
Even with Gorilla Glass, the newer generations are stronger and thinner and not necessarily more scratch resistant. They keep aiming for thinner so they can claim more strength per square inch.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm convinced that everyone ends up with very fine scratches and just can't necessarily see them. I take great care of my phones and I have had very light scam rather on all of them. Used to bother me, but don't anymore. Just a fact of life. My 6s plus has two very faint scratches after a few months of use. Not noticeable unless at a particular angle with the right light.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I'm convinced that everyone ends up with very fine scratches and just can't necessarily see them. I take great care of my phones and I have had very light scam rather on all of them. Used to bother me, but don't anymore. Just a fact of life. My 6s plus has two very faint scratches after a few months of use. Not noticeable unless at a particular angle with the right light.

Unless you baby your phone - and by baby I mean you never let it touch any other surface than your fingertips - you're going to get micro scratches. It's the coating, guys, not the glass itself that's usually the problem.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Unless you baby your phone - and by baby I mean you never let it touch any other surface than your fingertips - you're going to get micro scratches. It's the coating, guys, not the glass itself that's usually the problem.

The problem is the scratches are visible. No one cares if it is on the glass or top coating except people who want to be technically correct.

Reactions: ATC

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
"The only improvement that I've seen is in regards to marketing propaganda" -> In a thread regarding the improvements to "Ion-X" glass.

Not sure what else you could have been stating, but whatever.

If you're interested in the technology https://www.corning.com/asean/en/in...s/the-secret-of-tough-glass-ion-exchange.html

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/en/videos/16

It's fascinating stuff honestly. Glass's strength is entirely related to the difference between the surface tension and the internal tension.

Have a good one

Processes that have been mildly refined since the 60's with advancements in the manufacturing process.

http://www.google.com/patents/US3410673

The second Apple mentioned it at their event it hit me as a marketing term or at least they were using it as one considering how old the technology is. Ion-XI will blow your mind! Hahah

Edit : Btw Apple says "special dual ion exchange process" for the iPhone 6S and "Ion-X" for the Apple Watch if it makes any difference....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.