iOS 10.1 Reinstates 32-Bit App Alert, Warns Older Apps May Slow iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 6, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

During the iOS 10 beta testing period, Apple added an alert message to notify users who downloaded an older 32-bit app that it could affect system performance, but the warning message does not appear to have made it into the final version of iOS 10 that was released to the public.

Starting in iOS 10.1, Apple is reinstating the warning message, with a more dire alert that will likely steer customers away from apps that have not complied with Apple's 2015 mandate stating all apps must be 64-bit. As can be seen in the alert below, the message now warns that an app "may slow down your iPhone." It goes on to say "The developer of this app needs to update it to improve its compatibility."

[​IMG]

During the iOS 10 beta testing period, the alert instead warned 32-bit apps were "not optimized for iOS 10" and usage "may affect overall system performance."

Starting in late 2013, Apple began asking developers to submit 64-bit apps for the iPhone 5s, the first iPhone with a 64-bit processor. On February 1, 2015, Apple made 64-bit support mandatory for all new app submissions, and on June 1, 2015, all app updates submitted were required to include 64-bit support.

Apps that are popping up warnings in the iOS 10.1 beta are apps that have not been updated since that time.

Apple has likely reinstated the 32-bit alert message as part of its crackdown on older, outdated apps to clean up the App Store. In early September, Apple notified developers about an upcoming plan to remove apps that have not received compatibility updates, do not comply with current review guidelines, or that no longer function as intended.

Notices started going out on September 7, with developers given a 30 day period to fix problematic apps. After that period, Apple will be removing outdated apps from the App Store.

Article Link: iOS 10.1 Reinstates 32-Bit App Alert, Warns Older Apps May Slow iPhone

2. HumpYourWayUp macrumors regular

HumpYourWayUp

WOW - did not realize old 32-bit apps have that effect :eek:

3. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

It will slow your entire phone down? Or just perform poorly while it is running? That message is pretty dire.

4. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Good. When are they removing legacy apps from the App Store?

5. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Good. No reason why apps should not be 64-bit compatible. It's been three years.

While we're at it, all apps should be optimized for all resolutions as well.

6. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

I assume this warning doesn't come up on iPhone 5 or 5c, which still run 32 bit silicon, right?

7. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

8. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Isn't the A6 chip 64-bit? All 32-bit devices aren't compatible with iOS 10 anymore, such as the 4S.

9. sdwaltz, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016

sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

Will installed 32-bit apps slow down the system simply by being installed on the phone, or will system performance only be affected when the 32-bit app is being used or is running in the background?

I don't believe I have any apps that are 32-bit, just asking out of curiosity and for educational purposes.

10. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

OH GOSH...not another reminder...but i guess it's needed...unlike "i'll remind your a** till you update."

11. sdf macrumors regular

sdf

Exactly what I came to ask. :)

12. KALLT macrumors 601

I suppose 32-bit apps require different libraries, so it might be that running such apps requires the system to load additional libraries just to run that application. That could use more processing power and memory.

That being said, what is the user supposed to do with this message? Delete the app? I cannot stand useless notifications.

13. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

It works infinitely better than your useless comment does.

14. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

No. A7 is the first 64-bit chip Apple used (for the iPhone 5S)

15. krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

Lots of great apps that have been abandoned. This is a way to require developers to update.

16. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

No, the iPhone 5s with the A7 chip is the first 64-bit iPhone.

17. weup togo macrumors 6502

64-bit aside, don't play into Apple's spin that an app that hasn't been updated in a year is "outdated." This is a poisonous concept designed to screw users and developers alike by constantly driving churn on the app store. There were games written 30 years ago that still worked in Classic.

Apple is supposed to be a platform vendor. Platforms are supposed to be stable. But instead they're successfully convincing the apologists that only new things are good, and every not new thing is bad. Customers who buy into this are only hurting themselves.

18. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

The A6 and the A6X (iPad 4) are both 32-bit, so iOS 10 is still supported on those chips. However, I'm pretty sure iOS 11 is gonna be 64-bit only.

19. DoctaSfink macrumors member

Nothing can stop me from playing Peggle. Nothing. Well played Apple, but your attempts are useless.

20. BlargKing macrumors 6502

BlargKing

I may be mistaken but can't 64 bit CPUs run 32 bit software just fine? Like my PC has a 64 bit CPU but 70% of my software is still 32 bit and I don't get alerts from Windows about it.

Also the message is too vague. Will the app run poorly, or will it somehow drag down the performance of the whole phone?

I'm all for unifying everything to 64 bit but this message seems to me like a way to instill a (groundless) fear in users that these older apps will hurt the performance of their phones, which would then in turn make the users pressure developers to bring all their apps to 64 bit.

21. BobVB macrumors 6502a

BobVB

Anyway to find out if already installed apps are 32 bit?

22. nutmac macrumors 68040

The problem is, some developers have abandoned certain apps and there aren't suitable replacement for them.

For me, one such app is LibraryBooks, a library management app that was last updated May 2013 (which is just a month before Mac Pro was introduced!). 32-bit, iPhone 4/4S screen size, and full of layout bugs.

This warning is probably a precursor to removing compatibility with 32-bit apps altogether on iOS 11.

23. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

32-bits run fine on devices with a 64-bit CPU, just as it was stated during the announcement of the iPhone 5s and Apple's first mobile 64-bit chip. The problem is that 32-bit apps won't be able to take fully advantage of newer CPUs. In terms of basic performance you should be able to notice the difference without even that extra support, but in-app most of the advantage would come with the transition to 64-bit support.

That's why I do think developers really need to have their apps support this. And I'm glad that Apple included this warning.

24. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

It just works... As long as the developer puts in some work!

25. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

If your app is so great, certainly you care enough to maintain it because you would want the end user to agree, right?