Carrier iOS 10.1 Runaway System Services Data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jerry16, Oct 30, 2016.

1. jerry16 macrumors regular

jerry16

I also posted this in iOS 10, but just realized this may be the better sub forum for it.

Has anyone seen this before?! Went to bed about 1AM last night (not on WiFi) and woke up this morning to a HOT iPhone and messages from Verizon saying I've used all account data (18GB) as well as $250 in overages. I did not start any download or anything like that and wasn't doing anything with it before bed.

Verizon said the heavy usage was from 1:30AM until the time I called them (about 9 or so). I have used every flagship iPhone since the 4S (except the 5s) and have never had a problem like this. The data tracker in the screenshot was reset just over a month ago, and no other service or app even comes close to that usage. The closest is Facebook at about 1.5 GB. I can understand a third party app going off the rails on data (to an extent) - but an iOS system service? On cellular data no less?! You would think iOS is smarter than that.

The only thing I can even think of is that I synced my recently added playlist to my Apple Watch yesterday but that is only 100 songs. Even at 10MB each, that is less than 1GB. I checked my music stored on phone and that comes in at less than 700MB.

Called Apple and they submitted it to engineering and told me to expect a response in a few days. Called Verizon and they basically told me to go fly a kite, it's not their problem.

Any ideas?! Totally irritated. The Verizon rep told me not to go to sleep without my phone on WiFi - umm okay, I don't try to but it can't always be helped - not to mention I've done it many times before and never had an issue.

Sorry for the lengthy post but just hoping to get some ideas or see if anyone else out there has run into this.

IMG_0484.PNG

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Do you use Apple Music? Possible it was playing in the background all night?

3. jerry16 thread starter macrumors regular

jerry16

No, I have it disabled - even going as far as enabling restrictions so I don't have to look at it.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Anything different in your General -> Storage? Something was clearly downloading, just don't know what.

5. jerry16 thread starter macrumors regular

jerry16

That is what is so bewildering to me - all that data got used and there doesn't appear to be anything to show for it. Photos is at 19GB but that is standard for me and is still well under nearly 27GB. Not to mention I was doing nothing with photos. The next biggest is Garage Band at 1.25GB. Music is number five on the list at 619MB

6. dsjr2006 macrumors regular

iTunes Accounts definitely should not have used 26+ GBs of data. I use Apple Music daily and it's less than 60 MB for me. Under "iTunes & App Stores" do you have "Use Cellular Data" turned on? Automatic downloads?

7. jerry16 thread starter macrumors regular

jerry16

Use cellular data is turned off, but automatic downloads is turned on. The Apple Rep had me check which apps updated that day and there were only two - totaling less than 650MB.

Seriously at a loss for what it could be. Is it possible for some background process to get stuck in some sort of perpetual loop and burn through data like that? It's so confusing because my data counter was reset just over a month ago and the highest usage is under system services - but there is nothing to show for it on the phone in terms of local files.

They had me do some sort of system log by holding both volume buttons and the power button on the phone. It generated a 1.2GB file that they had me compress and upload to some website. Supposedly some engineers are supposed to review it and get back to me.

8. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

It isn't Verizon's problem tho. What can Verizon do to help? Release a iOS update?

9. jerry16 thread starter macrumors regular

jerry16

I called them in regards to the exorbitant overage charges, not iOS.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, pretty much what he said.
    Your phone did use that carrier data somehow.
    Not really Verizons or any carriers fault if you left something running or uploading/backing up etc... or if there's a software issue with your phone.
    Same way the water company didn't care that I had a faulty toilet that kept running and the tank emptying and filling up using over $500 worth of water in one month.
    They told me sorry, we understand that it sucks but you still have to pay for it.

11. jerry16 thread starter macrumors regular

jerry16

Yeah I was disappointed with Verizon's response but I understand it. Definitely worth a try for that much and something that is showing as a system service. Hoping Apple can figure it out. Apple just called me a few minutes ago asking for more information the engineers requested so hopefully that's a good sign that it's more than just something I screwed up. This will be the second time they've called now for more information.

Will be interesting to see how Apple addresses it if they confirm it was a bug in iOS - especially given that it's a system service.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    Hope they can pinpoint the issue so it doesn't repeat. They can figure out on their end what used it and how/why.
    But I don't know if they would cover your data overages.

13. numpsy macrumors regular

If this is an iOS bug, someone other than yourself should be footing the bill.

14. jerry16, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016

jerry16 thread starter macrumors regular

jerry16

Yeah, we shall see. I've been Googling iTunes Accounts under system services and can't really figure out what exactly it is - although I haven't spent much time searching. I haven't seen anyone anywhere near 27GB of usage on that yet, though.

I agree but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Verizon already said "no" so if it is up to anyone, it should be Apple. I imagine everyone says they didn't use the data, but I really can't think of anything I did to cause it and nobody at Apple has been able to tell me yet why a system service is using that much. I'm very mindful of my usage and specifically turned wifi off myself that night. I never would have intentionally started something data hungry.

I've had every flagship since the iPhone 4S and follow Apple and the industry religiously - no expert by any means but also not a novice. Usually I'm the guy people go to when they have these problems.

15. woodynorman macrumors 6502

Twice now after setting up a my new iPhone (I sold my MB 7plus and picked up a JB 7 plus) my Evernote app consumed about 6GB of data in a few days before I figured it out. Both times Verizon took care of me. First time they added data to my account for the rest of my cycle to get me by, last time they bumped me up from 18GB to 24GB for $5 less per month.

16. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

This happened to me with my 6S and at&t last year.

Yes it's not a carrier problem but they took care of me. Verizon should help you. Good luck.

17. uwdude macrumors 6502a

It sounds like iTunes is trying to sync a bunch of movies to your phone or something, do you keep movies on there, is this a new phone where it would be trying to sync your library?

18. jerry16 thread starter macrumors regular

jerry16

No new phone and no locally stored videos. The video app shows everything as being available for download in the cloud and in settings under local storage, videos don't even register as using anything.

19. Subwaymac macrumors regular

Subwaymac

Turn the phone off at night. People say what if there's an emergency!? That's like sleeping with a gun under your pillow for a break in

20. jerry16 thread starter macrumors regular

jerry16

For people that hold positions requiring them to be on call, turning it off simply isn't an option.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

How is that even an analogy?

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah, I didn't get it either. :D

23. uwdude macrumors 6502a

David Muir: In other news, we have reports that Russian hackers have taken control of an iPhone 7 belonging to a member of an online forum called "MacRumors". The user's online name is "jerry16", and this user claims that when he woke up this morning, 26.7 GB of data had been used, prompting an investigation by both Apple, and his carrier, Verizon. Verizon has denied any wrongdoing, and has refused to take the overage charges off of jerry16's monthly bill until the full investigation has concluded. Apple is looking into the matter, but sources tell us jerry16's iPhone 7 may have been used to complete a backroom deal among Russian mobsters in the wee hours of the morning last night. There is no indication yet whether these hackers still have control of jerry16's iPhone. Stay tuned to ABC news as this breaking story develops.

Just thought I would add a bit of intrigue to keep the story going! Hehe

24. jerry16 thread starter macrumors regular

jerry16

Okay, so just an update for everyone who has been so kind as to assist. After two weeks of going back and forth with Apple, they are officially stumped. They can't say why or what it is but their engineering team authorized my senior support rep to reach out to Verizon and request a credit. Apple got with Verizon who agreed to issue a $102.50 credit (half of the total extra expense) - which is much better off than what I was.

Basically now I'm still going back and forth with Apple over the last $102.50. I'm insisting they show me what it was I did to use the data and why I should be on the hook for all these charges when they can't say it wasn't a bug in iOS or even what it was that used the data.

Honestly I just feel like a consumer caught in the cross hairs of these two giant corporations. No one can tell me why it happened or what it was or what role I played in it but expect me to just blindly foot the bill - which I will - as soon as someone can tell me what I or my phone did to use the data and what the data was.

25. uwdude macrumors 6502a

I would be kind of tempted at this point after getting a partial credit to chalk it up to something odd and move on, provided it doesn't happen again. If it ever happens again though, I would be asking for answers.