Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerry16

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
across the universe
I would be kind of tempted at this point after getting a partial credit to chalk it up to something odd and move on, provided it doesn't happen again. If it ever happens again though, I would be asking for answers.

I hear you.. I do think that is probably where I am heading with it. I'll wait and see what they come back with. Verizon told Apple and I to not expect any flexibility if it happens again and Apple has given me instructions on what to do if it happens again, although it seems to be a one off incident.

It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Verizon has gone above and beyond here (eventually) as they probably didn't have to do anything. Apple on the other hand needs to figure it out. It shouldn't just be - "here's a bill, pay it and don't ask questions even though we can't explain it."

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Well it's very possible, from what it sounds like, that they haven't been able to come up with an explanation, that they truly don't know what happened. But if it were to happen a second time, maybe more evidence would point to something and they would have to come up with an explanation, at least I would think so.

Reactions: jerry16

jerry16

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
across the universe
Well it's very possible, from what it sounds like, that they haven't been able to come up with an explanation, that they truly don't know what happened. But if it were to happen a second time, maybe more evidence would point to something and they would have to come up with an explanation, at least I would think so.

That's understandable and I'm willing to acknowledge that - I just don't love how the burden of it all falls on me.

You're right though. Basically with the logs they collected they told me they couldn't pinpoint it (although they readily acknowledge how strange and unexplainable it is) but if I run logs while it happens they may be able to figure it out. Fortunately, I'm not holding my breath that it will happen again. Which, even if it did, there is no guarantee I would catch it until it was too late.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Yes it is scary. You wonder if your phone has been taken over or something I'm sure. I think if I were in your position I would try to get on some plan with my carrier where overages would not cost extra, or a plan where they would cut you off rather than charge money for add on data, if you can. Then at least you wouldn't be waking up to a $200+ extra bill some morning again.

Reactions: jerry16

jeabraham

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2011
Has it happened again?

Did Apple give you any hints as to what "iTunes accounts" actually is? It seems (from googling) that it is related to iCloud document syncing (under iCloud settings), but can also be related to Apple Music auto-generated "for you" playlists.

jerry16

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
across the universe
Has it happened again?

Did Apple give you any hints as to what "iTunes accounts" actually is? It seems (from googling) that it is related to iCloud document syncing (under iCloud settings), but can also be related to Apple Music auto-generated "for you" playlists.

No, it hasn't happened since fortunately. Apple was really shady about the whole thing to be honest and never gave me a good answer. Verizon stepped up and refunded half but Apple never coughed up anything. It really left a bad taste in my mouth - here are some ridiculous charges, we don't know why they exist, but we expect you to pay them because we are a big corporation and say so - is the vibe I got from the whole thing.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Good luck getting Apple to pay you or give you any money for something that's between you and the carrier.
The phone is the device used to access services from your wireless provider.
If you somehow claim you never used the data that was consumed then you'd have to figure it out with Verizon.
Apple will not provide you any reimbursement or any money towards anything.
If that was the case millions of others would have the same issue and would be asking Apple to pay their phone bills.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.