Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I remember being you who explained something about build numbers. I wanted to ask just one thing, how do you know when is the official software is close to release through the build number?
You don't really. Sometimes there have been some seemingly existing patterns, but it really doesn't seem to say much one way or another for any future release, and we've certainly seen a good number of "patterns" go up in the air with various beta and non-beta releases for iOS 10 in particular.
[doublepost=1479152979][/doublepost]
Anyone know if the bug with notifications disappearing after unlock is fixed?
Which one is that exactly?

shad0whawk

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
The new TV app does not seem to play videos synced to my phone directly. Only those purchased through iTunes.

Thankfully the old Video app is downloadable through the App Store (at least for now).

UPDATE: Interesting. They now play in the TV app, as long as I have the Video app installed.

What's interesting is that I couldn't even add a movie to my iPhone when I sync with iTunes if the Videos app is not installed on my iPhone.

DJLAXL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
UT
Am I crazy or is the unlock animation to home screen new on the 7 Plus? Dock slides up, icons zoom into place as normal. Its the dock animation which looks new to me.

Reactions: OGPrince and imex99

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
TV app still doesn't allow Home Sharing - which is all I use the Videos app for. So, for now, will be deleting and reinstalling.

Shaddow825

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2006
Typically, when the letter drops off at the end of the build number, it is ready for public release. Apple very, very rarely breaks this habit. Its been broken 5 times in the last 10 years.

Close but its the number(s) in the middle that always disappears, the letter seems to be there or not there prob due to how minor a respin it is

14C5077b vs 14C77b

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Am I crazy or is the unlock animation to home screen new on the 7 Plus? Dock slides up, icons zoom into place as normal. Its the dock animation which looks new to me.
You're crazy...

It's there in beta 2. The dock slides up. It's probably always been there. I've just noticed it too.

Reactions: DJLAXL

shad0whawk

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
What's interesting is that I couldn't even add a movie to my iPhone when I sync with iTunes if the Videos app is not installed on my iPhone.

What's even more funny about this is that the movie I added to my iPhone after I installed the Videos app ended up with an image of an album cover from my music library that isn't even remotely related to the movie.

Reactions: teddybearstand

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Close but its the number(s) in the middle that always disappears, the letter seems to be there or not there prob due to how minor a respin it is

14C5077b vs 14C77b

No. There have been more 4 digit build numbers than those with letters at the end. Last month I went through every single build number since 1.0. Only on 5 occasions has a build number ended with a letter. But there are many more occasions that the build number is more 2 digits. The current build of 10.1.1 is 14B150.

Last edited:

Shaddow825

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2006
No. there have been more 4 digit build numbers than those with letters at the end. Last month I went through every single build number since 1.0. Only on 5 occasions has a build number ended with a letter. But there are many more occasions that the build number is more 2 digits. The current build of 10.1.1 is 14B150.

Right, thats why I said number(s). Look at every beta vs release, there is always an extra number after the letter in the betas. The other numbers increment with leading zeros during the betas. ie: XXY5077 would become XXY77 after release and XXY5123 would be XXY123 after release.

bilibug

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Stockton NJ
What's even more funny about this is that the movie I added to my iPhone after I installed the Videos app ended up with an image of an album cover from my music library that isn't even remotely related to the movie.

That happened in the last beta too. Out of curiosity, is the artwork for the first song in your iTunes library (sorted alphabetically)?

Beta 2 didn't play back synced video at all. At least this build allows you to do so if both apps are installed.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Right, thats why I said number(s). Look at every beta vs release, there is always an extra number after the letter in the betas. The other numbers increment with leading zeros during the betas. ie: XXY5077 would become XXY77 after release and XXY5123 would be XXY123 after release.

Yes but the biggest sign that it is still a beta is the letter. Once the letter is dropped in a beta build you know it's almost ready for public release.

Like I said. Its more common for a longer number build than a letter in the final release.

Shaddow825

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2006

Note this does not apply when we get close, they remove the middle number when close to release.
[doublepost=1479155925][/doublepost]
Yes but the biggest sign that it is still a beta is the letter. Once the letter is dropped in a beta build you know it's almost ready for public release.

Like I said. Its more common for a longer number build than a letter in the final release.

No the bigger sign is the extra number in the middle, it is the indicator that the fork or whatever they do is different. The extra letter has nothing to do if its in beta or not. I'm talking about the reason something is there not whether its there more or not. Correlation doesn't imply causation.

There has never been a general release that has the extras number still there in the middle that was there in the betas. The letter doesnt seem to matter, it's there for a different reason. (minor respins etc)

Cu5co

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2015
That could be related to server strain. It is very hard to get scientific results from running speed tests. There are hundreds of variables that cannot be accounted for.

Yes, understood, but this never happend to me on elarlier versions and this is happening for about 3 to 4 weeks, so don't this it's server related.
On 10 tests, 8 to 9 have sirious performance drops. Never happened on earlier versions.

slpro

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
Portugal
That could be related to server strain. It is very hard to get scientific results from running speed tests. There are hundreds of variables that cannot be accounted for.
Yes, me too. Very poor indeed. Hope they fix this.
Sometimes the test starts on high speeds but after 1 or 2 seconds it will slow down too much.
Thanks! IP7 gives me half of speed rather than iPad Pro 9.7 on same wifi network...

Diemenz

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
iPhone 6+ no longer gets LTE data with update on rogers in canada, iPhone SE does, iPad Does and iPhone 6S does.

Great modem update :(

EDIT: Wifi speeds also half of what the other 3 phones are as well.

Last edited:

exi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Not to post about my "token" bug like people do, but:

In past threads, there has been talk about Bluetooth quality degradation since 10.1.1. Yes, I know that Bluetooth fixes were in the release notes for 10.1.1. However, some of us using the iPhone to stream Bluetooth audio in cars of various makes have found increased amounts of distortion and intermittent playback sometimes connected to using the phone, and which was not present in the pre-10.1.1 versions.

This includes both the -100 and -150 builds of 10.1.1.

For those who had that happen, any change in 10.2?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.