Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
OMG my 6s has shut between 20-40% so many times since iOS 10. I actually just gave up and ordered a third party replacement battery that I haven't installed yet.

Not acceptable for Apple to screw up such basic functionality on such an expensive device.

I've been so disslusioned that I'm seriously contemplating switching platforms. :(

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
OMG my 6s has shut between 20-40% so many times since iOS 10. I actually just gave up and ordered a third party replacement battery that I haven't installed yet.

Not acceptable for Apple to screw up such basic functionality on such an expensive device.

I've been so disslusioned that I'm seriously contemplating switching platforms. :(
Apple has issued a FREE battery replacement for the 6s for certain s/n. You should look into that 1st! There is a list of S/N in the below thread.

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/11/20/iphone-6s-shutdown-repair-program/ (post #78)

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

Last edited:

Jessica08

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2015
Roll Tide
I will be getting the battery changed out tomorrow, but I've heard it doesn't fix the issue. I think it's a software glitch as mine didn't start having problems until ios 10.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
They screwed up software and some parts are having big problems - it will not solve all the problems...

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I had my 6S battery replaced by Apple yesterday as part of the replacement program. The new battery just died with 5% battery remaining. Seems it must be a software thing. I'm going to try to do a full cycle and see what happens.

Canuck Gooner

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2011
I don't get shut downs at that range, but what I do get in iOS 10 are false battery level reporting. For example I'll use it a moderate amount with 1/3 screen brightness and only a few apps with background refresh permissions and push mail off. I will lose the first 50% battery much sooner than in the past. Then suddenly get low battery warning. When I plug it in, it immediately shows 60%+ battery level.

I've also had situations where I've sat at under 10% battery for hours.

I hope it's a iOS bug in terms of reading the battery level rather than either a faulty battery or other hardware issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.