Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Federico Vittici of MacStories has teamed up with Sam Beckett to create an iOS 10 concept video covering "wishlist" features Vittici hopes to see in the next version of iOS. Most concept videos we see are fanciful and filled with features unlikely to make it into iOS, but Vittici's vision of the future of iOS is logical and well thought out.

Major features covered in the video include a customizable Control Center with icons that can be rearranged and third-party app integration, a Siri API for third-party apps, and a system-wide dark mode.

Smaller tweaks include searchable emoji and rich previews in Messages, a document picker for iCloud Drive, and features to make Split View multitasking more useful on the iPad.

iOS 10 isn't expected to be released until the fall of 2016 alongside new iPhones, but we'll get our first look at it in just two months when Apple debuts the operating system update at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference. Little detail has leaked out so far, but we may learn more as we grow closer to its official announcement.

Our forum members are also discussing features they would like to see in iOS 10, with a long wishlist thread highlighting desired additions like a revamped UI for iPads, user profiles, lock screen widgets, and more. Join in on the discussion here.

Article Link: iOS 10 Concept Imagines Customizable Control Center, Siri API, Dark Mode and More

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
Apple please just let me delete your bloatware... While the folder I have on my second home screen titled "Extra ****" containing all your inalienable software gets a laugh out of the occasional friend who steals a glance at it, I really shouldn't have to make that.

Reactions: npolly0212

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Wow some really good ideas in there. Read Receipts should really say "Opened" not "Read". Just because I opened a text doesn't mean I read it.

Searching emojis would also be nice or if we can add certain emojis to a permanent customized page.

10th iPhone and 10th version of iOS being released this year. I hope Apple knocks both out of the park. Too bad the new "spaceship" campus won't be opened in time for these events, but maybe the theater will be.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Yes to so many of these things! Universal dark mode, contact-based read receipts, Siri text input and drag & drop would all be killer features for me. They were all excellent ideas! Apple should give this guy a job. The thing is, it's going to be the 10th version. Effectively the 10 year anniversary of iOS except not quite cause surely that would be next year considering the first iPhone was 2007. What I'm saying is, maybe they have some big things planned rather than just another (relatively minor) update.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Now This is an Apple update :)

I like the customization control center,

* 3D Touch with third part app integration - not even a fan of ForceClick on the Mac, so how can I be a fan of 3D touch although it would be more convenient on iOS now with 3rd party integration.

* Dark mode = yay
* Messages and Emoi, never had a thing for this..

Seems like allot of good customization,,, very unusual for Apple (but would still be nice to have)

Reactions: _mdavenport

nrlh

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2016
Somebody please send this to Apple or something, these features are things that we really need. Are any of these features already jailbreak tweaks made that I can install?

Reactions: S G

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I thought I wanted dark mode but when I see it here I'm not sure I like it. Hmm...

I do find it amusing though that every time someone comes out with an iOS concept everyone says yes Apple implement this. Here's a prior concept for widgets that eveyone was drooling over at one point. I'm not sure why.

iphone_02.jpg

Last edited:

_mdavenport

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2015
California, USA
A lot of cool ideas here. A few gimicks too. Would love expanded 3D Touch capabilities, especially in control center. However a 3D Touch menu on the Control Center Wifi icon that gives the option to activate/deactivate wifi I don't really think is more useful than just tapping the icon.

Would love rich text previews in Messages, proactive suggestions for new music I follow, the drag-and-drop thing, and text-based siri queries!

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Apple, hire these guys and implement the suggestions!

iOS 10 should be big because it's going into double figures and companies do like to put on a show. There is nothing groundbreaking in this video but very nice additions that i'd like to read in the traditional 'hidden things in iOS' thread here on the boards :)

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Apple please just let me delete your bloatware... While the folder I have on my second home screen titled "Extra ****" containing all your inalienable software gets a laugh out of the occasional friend who steals a glance at it, I really shouldn't have to make that.
You will never be able to delete it, nor should you. Just the fact that you call it bloatware makes me even more glad that you can't delete it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.