Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
Unlocking the phone sucks now, before I could unlock with one press of a button and touch id, now I have to press it twice to unlock........ why?
[doublepost=1473794769][/doublepost]Omg I cannot press power and hold touch id either, I have to press the button to unlock.
I hate the new unlock. It blows.

RobinInOR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Like it, but a couple of unexpected things. On phone only I cannot connect to our unsecured network at home. Yes, we know, but we live 2 miles away from neighbors and the nearest road. IPad mini 4 sees it just fine. So now we have to set that up which will cascade down to all our other pcs. Something we should do anyway but wasnt expecting having to do it NOW. Update: Not an ios problem, just our old network not doing it's DNS thing. Changed to static for now and good to go.

ALso, the connection to my car is broken, i cant tell my car to call someone by name. I can only call a direct number. Call goes through fine. I expect i have to clear and redownload the contact list, which means i have to go find my car manual. Because my downloaded car manual is on my ipad pro thats stuck in recovery mode and being wiped by the service store.

All the little things :) but otherwise its working great!

Last edited:

bigmac58

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
It sounds like the hardware is solid with this version and the only issues are getting used to the way things operate. Good information!

Thanks!

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Just press and hold and it will unlock. I thought that originally too. If you press the button and remove your finger, it allows you to look at your notifications. Before, sometimes I'd actually bypass my notifications on the lock screen because it would automatically unlock the phone.
But that feature/setting is really weird:

If the feature is turned OFF and screen is off:
- 1. press on/off switch
- text shows "press to open"
- you have now to press the home button to unlock while it reads the fingerprint

--> same if you press the home button instead of the on/off switch

But here comes the thing:

If the feature is turned ON and screen is off:
- 1. press on/off switch
- text shows STILL "press to open"
- putting your finger on the home button is enough to unlock it.

Same if you press the home button to wake the display.

How could they miss that?!?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
But that feature/setting is really weird:

If the feature is turned OFF and screen is off:
- 1. press on/off switch
- text shows "press to open"
- you have now to press the home button to unlock while it reads the fingerprint

--> same if you press the home button instead of the on/off switch

But here comes the thing:

If the feature is turned ON and screen is off:
- 1. press on/off switch
- text shows STILL "press to open"
- putting your finger on the home button is enough to unlock it.

Same if you press the home button to wake the display.

How could they miss that?!?
Well in iOS 7-9 it would show "slide to unlock" if you didn't use Touch ID after a few seconds, so it seems the same, it just shows the alternate (passcode) unlock method.

Last edited:

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
So far so good . I have updated both iPhone 6 & iPad mini . It took about ½ hour , much less than I expected .
One problem though , I seem to have lost my text replacements .
Well, lucky you. I did not just lose all my text replacements but also my settings app freezes if I just try to enter the replacements.
[doublepost=1473815319][/doublepost]Edit: Try turning your phone off and on again with the normal off switch. After I did that my text replacements showed up.

dylanlive

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
San Francisco, Calif.
Why is everyone discussing functionality of iOS 10, which is not specific to iPhone 6?

I believe the op is wondering about performance issues specific to iPhone 6, which is also what I'm looking for. :rolleyes:

Reactions: MarvinHC

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Why is everyone discussing functionality of iOS 10, which is not specific to iPhone 6?

I believe the op is wondering about performance issues specific to iPhone 6, which is also what I'm looking for. :rolleyes:
Well with all the issues I'd stay with iOS 9. Even unlocking is laggy. I mean when I press the home button or side switch it takes 1-2 sec until the screen turns on. But that might change after a few days. Already restarted the phone a couple times - no change. iPhone 6 - 128 GB

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

It's difficult to judge that sort of thing when the update has just come out.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
The sped up animations are nice but overall I feel like things are loading up a titch slower than iOS 9. Safari loads up a a titch slower as does most third party apps. The same thing happened when I went from 8.4.1 to 9 everything loaded just a titch slower and now it's yet another slight drop down in overall performance. I rolled back to iOS 9.3.5 and I think it my 6 will be staying here forever. I'm selling it to my mom and have the 7 preordered. I'm excited for 2GB of ram! The phone will be great for her and she won't even care about all the new gimmicky features of iOS 10. It's going to be hard to get used to no slide to unlock on the 7 but I'll make do! But seriously if you try 10 on your 6 for a day then go back to 9.3.5 you'll notice the difference almost immediately. And it you don't more power to you but the slight slowdown is real and there.

Reactions: fiveainone

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
But every new iOS is a bit slower at the beginning as the phone is reorganizing data in the background. After a few days it's back to normal for most devices. And the iPhone 6 is only 2 years old.

My wake-up is already back to normal while it took a second or 2 the first few hours.

akkers

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2015
Running iOS 10 on my iPhone 6.
I find it to be as quick and smooth as the last version of iOS9.3.5. For the 1st 30 mins or so it was lagging. But now it feels quicker except for Safari which seems a tad slower in opening pages.

Outlook for iOS was lagging and I asked support for help. They responded in 10 seconds asking me to reset my accounts and its working fine.

I find the lockscreen and notification visual interface a bit rough arpund the edges.They havnt got it right yet IMO.

Battery life is slightly hit, but i will wait a few days to make my final comment on that.

Indian Devil

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2014
You can turn that off, go to:

Settings, General, Accessibility, Home Button, then turn rest finger to open on :)

It say rest your finger on the button to unlock, but I need to click the button and keep my fingers on it to unlock. Not sure if I am understanding it wrong but shouldn't it open without click?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It say rest your finger on the button to unlock, but I need to click the button and keep my fingers on it to unlock. Not sure if I am understanding it wrong but shouldn't it open without click?
The screen has to turn on somehow, so whether you do it by pressing the home button first, or by pressing the lock/sleep button, or because a notification comes in, or raising the phone to wake it up (for iPhone 6s and newer phones) or anything like that, then the resting of the finger comes into play.

Reactions: Indian Devil

Indian Devil

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2014
The screen has to turn on somehow, so whether you do it by pressing the home button first, or by pressing the lock/sleep button, or because a notification comes in, or raising the phone to wake it up (for iPhone 6s and newer phones) or anything like that, then the resting of the finger comes into play.

Ok. So for 6/6+ users it's the same as before, nothing's changed. Thanks.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
On this video you can clearly see almost every third party app he opens is a titch slower than 9.3.5. And even in the phone app and mail and weather it's a bit behind. This all adds up and make things feel slower. He concludes that iOS 10.0.1 is as faster or faster but it's simply not true! At least not on the regular 6. If you scroll back in his feed check out the iOS 8.4.1 video of the 5S vs iOS 9 and you'll see how 8.4.1 out performs iOS 9 in the exact same way 9.3.5 edges out iOS 10. Every year they take the old devices down a notch so the new ones feel the fastest. I've become a believer that you should stick with the original iOS version your phone comes with for the fastest speed. If I could go back to 8.4.1 I think I might on my 6 but iOS 9 is really solid and nightshift is worth the small sacrifice of speed but nothing in iOS 10 is worth another notch down of speed on the 6 in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.