Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
Darn. I figured since this thread was dealing specifically with iPhone 6 and the post I quoted mentioned it. Oh well! Thanks for confirming. :)

Actually I believe the way it's put is that raise to wake is specific to the A9 chip or later. Hence the 6S/6S+ plus any other items Apple decide to put the A9 in

Reactions: viperGTS

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
If I were you I wouldnt go past 8.4.1 .It was THE BEST iOS ever on iPhone 6.Thing steam rolled everything I threw at it

dylanlive

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
San Francisco, Calif.
Well with all the issues I'd stay with iOS 9. Even unlocking is laggy. I mean when I press the home button or side switch it takes 1-2 sec until the screen turns on. But that might change after a few days. Already restarted the phone a couple times - no change. iPhone 6 - 128 GB

Good to note, thanks. I know on my iPad Mini, unlocking doesn't seem significantly slower. So yes, maybe that's a performance issue with iPhone 6.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Lock screen has the wrong resolution, everything is to big. When unlocked its the right resolution. Quite irritating. Anyone else have the same issue?

Yeah, I mean the carrier name and all that other stuff up there have been bigger on the lock screen than elsewhere at least since iOS 9. If that's what was being referred to.

What I'm noticing is that the time and date seem to be bigger/not razor sharp like they used to be. Not sure if it's a slightly different font or bold or just zoomed in or what, but the time and date definitely don't look crisp and sharp to me on my new SE.

My experience on my new SE:

1) Issue mentioned above
2) On that note I don't like the bolded look in several apps like news and Music, especially after they went through in iOS7 and made all the typefaces nice and thin since the screens have the PPI to look great with thin typefaces
3) General lag on opening some apps
4) When looking at an iMessage, when you press the upper left corner back arrow, it only seems to work 1/3 of the time - but if you press to the right of it, it works every time
5) I get topics in my news that I don't want and don't have favorited, like fashion and business. I do get topics for stuff I have favorited, but I'm also getting a bunch of crap topics in news that I don't want (I think in iOS 9 I only got what I had favorited which was nice)
6) Just don't like the music app
7) Lock screen was difficult at first, but I can get used to it - it's really making me embrace touch ID, which I never used on my 6
8) Haven't received enough text messages to really know and figure out exactly how it works, but my initial impression is that I'm not a huge fan of the quick reply system from the lock screen, seems messier and more involved than in iOS9
9) Deleting stock apps is VERY welcome finally
10) I'm ok with the widgets

EDIT:

11) When you are in iMessage, there's no way to swipe the keyboard down out of the way, once you tap into the text entry field and the keyboard (or camera) pops up, you can not get the keyboard to disappear until you back out of the message and go back in, wtf?? (CORRECTION: Turns out you can swipe down with one finger, but then it scrolls you up the message which is dumb IMO)
12) Control center on multiple pages is dumb, keep it simple

Last edited:

jihong

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2009
Just upgraded to iOS10 on iphone 6.

Most of it seems to be an improvement, my phone actually feels a little quicker and everything feels a bit smoother IMO. I like the widgets on the swipe left from the home screen, and using touch ID to unlock seems a lot quicker. The new lock noise is nice and simple, everything is a little bigger and bolder (sometimes the texts are TOO big).

There are a few annoyances that I'm trying to figure out, and if anyone knows how to fix these, please post!

Haven't used the new iOS much yet, so the list is short, and I'll add as I discover. But 3 things that have bothered me are:

1. Can't reply to text messages/imessages from lock screen without it entering the messages app. This is probably possible on force touch devices, but not on iphone 6. I used to be able to swipe right and it would allow me to type and send a text right from there, now it has to open the text app before i can reply.

2. The dock and the app folders are thing BRIGHT gray, I like the darker color from before.

3. No new ringtones and only 1 new wallpaper. I look forward to new sounds and images, but it seems that didn't invest in doing that for this iOS.

Reactions: BJMRamage

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just upgraded to iOS10 on iphone 6.

Most of it seems to be an improvement, my phone actually feels a little quicker and everything feels a bit smoother IMO. I like the widgets on the swipe left from the home screen, and using touch ID to unlock seems a lot quicker. The new lock noise is nice and simple, everything is a little bigger and bolder (sometimes the texts are TOO big).

There are a few annoyances that I'm trying to figure out, and if anyone knows how to fix these, please post!

Haven't used the new iOS much yet, so the list is short, and I'll add as I discover. But 3 things that have bothered me are:

1. Can't reply to text messages/imessages from lock screen without it entering the messages app. This is probably possible on force touch devices, but not on iphone 6. I used to be able to swipe right and it would allow me to type and send a text right from there, now it has to open the text app before i can reply.

2. The dock and the app folders are thing BRIGHT gray, I like the darker color from before.

3. No new ringtones and only 1 new wallpaper. I look forward to new sounds and images, but it seems that didn't invest in doing that for this iOS.
If you swipe left on the notification on the lock screen and select the "view" option that should allow you to reply.

bigmac58

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Well, I decided to upgrade to 10 from 8.4.1 and so far I'm really pleased with everything. The new features make it feel like I've got a new phone (despite my crappy battery...where is the best place to get a replacement?). The only issue I've had is a brief moment where the phone said no SIM was inserted and a quick reset seems to have taken care of that. I'm guessing that never using iOS 9.x has made this upgrade seem more worth it than for most. Thanks everyone for the input, it really helped me make an education choice whether to leave my phone on an old iOS or move up and so far I'm glad I did.

Reactions: viperGTS

jihong

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2009
If you swipe left on the notification on the lock screen and select the "view" option that should allow you to reply.

Thanks, just figured that out too haha. Still, one step extra from just swiping and typing...

Also, since the date appears to have gotten bigger, everything I'm used to just appears a little "off" center because of how large it's become...

jd_md3

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2015
I took night time pictures since upgrading to iOS 10 this morning & noticed that the camera on my 6 plus can't focus. I haven't dropped my phone & I don't see any physical damage to the lens. It took lowlight pictures just fine 2 days ago. Anybody else experienced this?

rkstar71

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
I bet you complain on every new iOS? Change is difficult for some.
How about this for "change"?... How about the option of changing the incoming text bubble color from the ugly green to something easier on the eyes.

The white text on that green sucks to look at. And Messages is my most used app. If they don't give an option to change that soon, I'm going to look into jailbreaking just for that one thing.

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
But every new iOS is a bit slower at the beginning as the phone is reorganizing data in the background. After a few days it's back to normal for most devices. And the iPhone 6 is only 2 years old.

My wake-up is already back to normal while it took a second or 2 the first few hours.
Not a sarcastic reply, i swear. But I didn't know indexing takes days? That's a lot of indexing! My iphone 6 feels quite sluggish. I upgraded on the day of the release.

jihong

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2009
Battery life seems worse with iOS 10 too...although it may be because i'm using it more with the new functions...

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Hello,

I'm using an iPhone 6 which is running iOS 8.4.1. I've hesitated to update the phone to iOS 9 for various reasons. My phone is running fine on its current version but I like some of the features in this latest release. For those of you still using the 6, please post your experiences with iOS 10 such as crashing, speed, etc.

Thanks!

Runs very fast. Heck it even runs fast on my iPad mini 2.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Well with all the issues I'd stay with iOS 9. Even unlocking is laggy. I mean when I press the home button or side switch it takes 1-2 sec until the screen turns on. But that might change after a few days. Already restarted the phone a couple times - no change. iPhone 6 - 128 GB

Everything is speedy on my iPhone 6.

Reactions: bigmac58

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I took night time pictures since upgrading to iOS 10 this morning & noticed that the camera on my 6 plus can't focus. I haven't dropped my phone & I don't see any physical damage to the lens. It took lowlight pictures just fine 2 days ago. Anybody else experienced this?

My 6 camera focuses just fine.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
The music app is the biggest reason I've owned every iPhone model since the original. The design is always nice. But I'll be honest, the skeuomorphic designs never bothered me. And iOS was much more stable.

There are too many hidden features now. Bugs they fixed in iOS 9 are back in iOS 10 (purchased books taking up space in iCloud backups.) Tapping on a song in the music app plays a completely different song.

When I connected my iPhone to Bluetooth, my phone was randomly calling people in my contacts list. I have no idea what's going on, but it's not the iPhone I'm used to.

Don't get me started on photos. Face edits don't sync across devices? ********. They pushed iCloud photo library, and it worked great. But now, without iOS 10, I effectively have three separate libraries. One on my iMac, one of my iPhone, and on my iPad.

Tapping on THE ONE, SINGULAR SONG OUT OF THOUSANDS that I actually want to hear at a specific moment results in an entirely different song playing.

I heard that iOS 10 was supposed to be a design built on bug fixes. It appears that this is not the case.

DiscoSushi

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
Pacific Coast/North America
Battery is draining substantially faster for me w/ iOS 10.0.1

So much so, I am thinking of downgrading to iOS 9... although I guess I better hurry before Apple stops signing it.

I am a fairly lightweight user - I don't use the phone to talk much, I don't even use it much at all, period. No Bluetooth. I have a rotten 2GB prepaid plan so I rarely have the cellular data on when outside the house.

So the fact that I can actually notice it draining faster seems concerning to me.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
iOS 10 on the iPhone 6 is great. iOS 9 was a lagfest until 9.3.5 and iOS 10 fixed that.

iop

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2011
I don't see a lot of noticeable lags with iOS 10 on my iPhone 6. The only frame rate issues are with the app switching animation (it had issues in iOS 9 too), and sometimes with the widget screen. I decided to stay with iOS 10.

P.S. I saw a camera glitch yesterday: the camera "viewfinder" screen was black, but the camera was able to take photos. I fixed it by restarting the phone.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
iOS 10 on the iPhone 6 is great. iOS 9 was a lagfest until 9.3.5 and iOS 10 fixed that.

I was in an Apple Store yesterday getting my daughter's screen replaced and used the Genius waiting time to test my iPhone 6 against a new iPhone 7 side-by-side.

Using my right and left index fingers and simultaneously tapping launch buttons like Safari, iMessage, Maps, Calendar, Photos, Videos, etc. there was no discernible difference in launching speed.

When using the apps, same thing occurred. Maps was faster on the 7, but we are talking half a second at best, the rest of the apps were a tie, Safari loaded a few webpages faster on my 6 than the 7 and I made sure I used sites that weren't cached.

Point being a) iOS 10 on iPhone 6 is a win and b) there isn't a real-world speed improvement between a 6 and a 7.

BJ

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
Is anyone having issues with their iPhone 6 screen randomly shutting off while in an app?
It never happens to me on the home screen, but a few times per day, my screen will go black when I'm in the middle of using an app. If I press the home button when that happens, it takes me out of the app and to the home screen.
This occurs in both Apple and third party apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.