iOS 11 and Honda/Acura Bluetooth

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by George Knighton, Aug 22, 2017.

1. George Knighton thread starter macrumors 65816

George Knighton

The iPhone X on 11.1.1 is connecting when set up as a new device and I can make and receive calls adequately, and the SMS/iMessage functions are working correctly.

To be honest, however, the LG V30 still works better. :)

Setting up as a new device was not an awful experience. I still don't have everything on the X that I had on the others, but it's not so hard to fix.

2. Tx_Geek62, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017

Tx_Geek62 macrumors newbie

Tx_Geek62

It’s really a shame that Apple is rushing their products to market without the proper QC procedures (of a now bygone era) in place. RIP Steve Jobs. Anyway, if this solves the disappearing phone book and non-functioning USB cable connection, I guess it would be worth it. I’ve never had a problem with my iPhone 7 connecting or staying connected via Bluetooth since upgrading to iOS 11 - just the problems mentioned above.

3. johnny hotsauce macrumors regular

I installed 11.2 Public Beta 3 on Monday evening and so far yesterday through this morning, no BT drops in my Acura. BT seems to be holding just as solid as 11.2 Public Beta's 1-2 did. I previously deleted all my contact photos so not sure if the phone book issue got resolved or not since mine suddenly started to work fine after I deleted all the contact photos. Hopefully on 11.2 GM they don't mess up the BT stack with an older one and end up back at square one.

My commute to/from work is a little over an hour each way so that usually gives me enough time to gauge if the BT is holding or not :)

4. Freshjs59 macrumors newbie

iphone x/acura rdx user here - the bluetooth connectivity in the car has def gone downhill since ios 11. my problems focus mostly on pandora and how terrible it interacts with the car now. I always have to unlock my phone, force quit the app and reopen it after connected to the car. it doesnt work every time i get into the car like it used to.

I have not experienced any bluetooth disconnects but frequently have the phone randomly restarting (like the little loading circle on a black screen shows up) and then forces me to go back into music apps to start over.

5. johnny hotsauce macrumors regular

I'll try Pandora tonight or tomorrow morning. I haven't tested that yet on the 11.2 public betas. 11.2 seemed to have fixed my connection problems so hopefully Pandora will have no issue on 11.2 as well but who knows, LOL.

6. bigboy29 macrumors member

FYI based on what I have seen on Accord forum, there is a separate set of bugs in Pandora app itself. Some members over there have contacted Pandora support and there was some sort of acknowledgement that they are looking at it. What I'm saying is - Pandora issues might in fact be unrelated to 11.x

7. mofoliar macrumors regular

mofoliar

I have noticed Pandora acting up last few days via BT...I find myself restarting the app 2-3 times to display correctly and not say unresponsive!

Using iOS 11.0

8. George Knighton thread starter macrumors 65816

George Knighton

After setting up the iPhone X as a new device, there is still a problem with Pandora.

It will out of the blue show on the infotainment screens "Loading...." but the music never stops playing, presumably because of the cache ahead.

This is something that I can deal with compared to how it was previously, when it would not connect at all.

9. Calcpa macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Nov 19, 2017 ---
    I️ have a 2015 Honda Accord hybrid. I️ am having the same problems and are very frustrated. I️ just got the iphone x and am still having problems. Honda and Apple need to fix this. We all didn’t pay a lot of money for our cars for them not to work properly.

10. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

2011 Honda Pilot. iPhone 7 on 11.1.2. Throughout iOS 11, when I hang up a bluetooth phone call, the radio is turned on. Never happened with iOS 10.

11. Logan Frederiksen-England macrumors newbie

Logan Frederiksen-England

Did you end up switching to android? I’m thinking of doing the same at my other half’s s6 works perfectly with all options (text contacts etc)

I was doing some research and am noticing that all newer OS’s are not working perfectly either. New android phone will sync contacts etc but text does not work.

I know it’s 1st world problems but it’s really annoying for everything to work as it should!

I got rid of my German cars and found an awesome deal on a 15 acccord coupe v6 6speed I couldn’t pass up thinking yay it’s cheap and everything will work! NOPE! My current phone is a 6s plus with 11.1.2

12. jessicaclaire macrumors newbie

I have a brand new touring 2018 honda odyssey and my iphone 6 connects to blue tooth with good audio but does not allow voice commands which is a serious problem considering I conduct a lot of biz calls from the car and cannot pull over everytime I need to call a new contact.

Honda has been useless so far with their advice being to buy the new iphone which apparently works fine with this function

Does anyone have any suggestions besides buying a new phone?

Does the new pixel have these same issues or is it just apple?

13. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65832

I've got a 2014 Accord LX and whenever I activate Siri through the phone it doesn't trigger the HFP prompt on my car radio.

Most every car I've been in, even in ones that don't support Siri Eyes Free or Carplay, will display the siri prompt over the radio when you activate it.

Honda's entertainment systems are trash.

14. ectospheno macrumors regular

I’m a bit lost trying to follow this thread since people rarely list the bluetooth spec they are on, the car model/year, and whether or not they are using carplay or honda’s abomination.

Is anyone using a Bluetooth 5.0 device (8 or X) having trouble while using Carplay in a 2017/2018 Honda? If it isn’t a bluetooth 5.0 device or it isn’t using Carplay then I’m less interested.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 4, 2017 ---
    OK. Now I’m even more confused by this thread. Very few auto makers allow for wireless carplay. Honda/Acura isn’t one of them. You have to have the phone plugged into a certain USB port for carplay to function at all. When carplay is active in a Honda there is no bluetooth functionality at all. This is called out in the manuals (which I just downloaded from Honda and checked).

So are people complaining that carplay is somehow broken, that bluetooth with Pandora in the portion of Honda’s entertainment system that isn’t carplay doesn’t work, or both?

15. tmaddox80, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

tmaddox80 macrumors newbie

The issue has not been corrected on IOS 11.2. Having problems with phone book not reading contacts from phone. We have a 2016 TLX w/ Tech. iPhone X. Is Apple aware of the problem?

16. ShangTsung macrumors newbie

ShangTsung

You could try updating your firmware through the developer menus. I had some weird issues with my 2016 TLX and iPhone 7+, but I don't remember exactly what the issues were. I contacted Acura and they had no clue about iPhone+TLX... Apple was they same idea. Both support teams told me to call the other!

Anyway, you can fully reimage your TLX audio system (any Honda/Acura audio system). I'll use the TLX in the steps below. If it doesn't work, just Google it. It's out there, albeit sometimes difficult to find.

TLX w/Navi
    =======
    HOLD: NAVI+MENU+BACK for about 5 seconds. Alien screens will appear. Release them and then hold MENU+BACK for another 5 seconds for the Developer Menu.

TLX w/o Navi
    ========
    HOLD: BACK+MENU+AUDIO for about 5 seconds. Alien screens will appear. Release them and hold MENU+BACK for another 5 seconds for the Developer Menu.

(I'm not confident those are the correct buttons, but perhaps it's been a while)

You are looking for a button that says Software Download or Firmware Version or something like that. There are at least 2 buttons that have different text, but do the same thing.

Tapping this button will IMMEDIATELY reset your radio settings, reboot the audio system and download a fresh image over the air. (Very similar to resetting an iPhone of MacBook Pro, etc.) It will install and reboot and you will need to setup everything again from scratch.

Hopefully that MAY help?

17. tmaddox80 macrumors newbie

Thank you!
    I’ll try this tonight and let you know if it fixed it or not.

18. George Knighton thread starter macrumors 65816

George Knighton

Generally speaking, people are complaining that Bluetooth functionality that worked 100% before iOS 11 is not working correctly any longer with all versions of iOS 11.

*Contacts are not uploaded to the car's Phonebook, or they are scrambled.

*As a result of that, the car's audio controls will not work for hands free phone calls. You might be able to use SIRI to make phone call but in that case the call will be routed to Private Mode and you will have to switch it back to the HFL speakers...sometimes taking so long that your voice call believes that there has been a problem.

*Because the Contacts are not uploaded, your Recent Calls will show numbers instead of names.

*An incoming call will not be identified correctly on the big screen and you will have to look at your iPhone to identify the caller.

*The iPod connector no longer works correctly for Pandora or iPod Music, although it will still trickle charge.

*If you try to use Pandora over Bluetooth, it might or might not work on the first try, and you might not have your last chosen station picked out even if it does load correctly.

After getting it to work, your station will reload frequently. You'll notice this on the screen but the playback will probably not be affected because of the caching.

Again: All of this worked fine on iOS 10.3.3, and the LG V30 Android on Nougat continues to work 100%.

19. tmaddox80 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if Apple is aware of this so they can hopefully address in the next iOS update?

20. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

The best recourse for those having issues is to sign up for the iOS beta https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/ so you can give the feedback to Apple and effect change. (enough of these reports get submitted, the issues will get fixed).

21. Chuckilove macrumors newbie

I have a 2015 Acura TLX as well and I am having the exact same issues with my IPhone 8. I have tried re-syncing my phone and the contacts appeared. But after I turned the car off and on again they were gone. As well with the Pandora app. My phone kept giving me a message that was asking me to allow Pandora to communicate with the car. After hitting allow it was working normally. But this did not last after the car was powered down and up again. Very frustrating.

22. pinkertonpunk macrumors newbie

Do you have a BMW? I have a 2015 X1 and just unpaired my phone because I was tired of crapping myself everytime I got a phone call.

23. George Knighton thread starter macrumors 65816

George Knighton

24. Tx_Geek62 macrumors newbie

Tx_Geek62

I was going to try setting up my iPhone 7 as a new device to see if it would resolve the phone book issues, etc., but I decided to get an iPhone X instead (it’s their best phone yet IMO), sadly iOS 11 remains their buggiest. No difference other that I get a different scrambling of phone entries (before I got just the first 5 or so in alphabetical order). It has the same low volume problem in my other car (MB S550] that the iPhone 7 did. I haven’t tried hooking it up via USB to see if it can be used as an iPod or play Spotify, but I suspect not.

25. bigboy29 macrumors member

Are you trying using Siri Eyes Free or ? What are the voice commands you speak of?

If Bluetooth channel is established (music) - I have a hard time understanding that Siri Eyes Free would not work. On my '17 Accord, a long press of the "speak" button gives me a Siri ding (Siri Eyes Free) so you can then voice command your phone directly (not your car's voice commands).

http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=9642-en

Available on EX and higher...