Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The ability to clear out an apps's cache and data without deleting the entire app! But we're never getting that ...
More apps are starting to offer that option within their own in-app settings.

Kalloud

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2016
Well I never knew that, thanks! Shame it does not work on app switch.
What's the point in having a close all button in the app switcher?
What's the point in closing recent apps at all?
I think recent apps screen is made to close a specific app when it freezes for example, not to make the phone faster or save battery life or something.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I think recent apps screen is made to close a specific app when it freezes for example, not to make the phone faster or save battery life or something.

I suggest you read my previous post. ;)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Primarily it's not even made for that (although it's certainly one of the things that it's made for)--primarily it's there to help with switching between apps.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
Features
- 3D Touch on Control Center toggles (e.g. hard press on Wi-Fi to choose Network)
- Custom Control Center buttons (variety of user choices e.g. 3G on/off, Night Mode on/off)
- Complications on Lock Screen (weather, calendar, etc)
- Ability to communicate with Siri via text input, Siri merged with Spotlight
- Sleep tracking (like Sleep Cycle)
- Lock individual apps with Touch ID
- Multiple users on iPad
- Guest Mode for iPad/iPhone
- Group FaceTime, FaceTime voicemail
- Drag and drop capability on iPad in split-view
- Per-app grouping of Notifications
- Improved Do Not Disturb scheduling (pick specific days/times, or turn on for x amount of hours)
- Change default apps in Settings for Mail and Calendar

UI
- As with OS X Leopard, various different UI ideologies made consistent (starting with the abolition of huge font style seen in Music/News)
- Night Mode with automatic switching at sunset a la Night Shift, API for devs
- Faster animations throughout the system
- All new wallpapers, including live and dynamic wallpapers
- Default alert sounds refreshed
- Redesigned Share Sheet
- Mission Control style multitasking on iPad
- Weather, Calculator, Voice Memos and other missing iPad apps added
- Play all videos in Landscape, irrespective of orientation lock setting
- Completely redesigned home screen on iPad, mixing widgets and icons
- Multiple instances of same app in iPad Split View (for any app)
- Special attention to iPad core/stock app UIs in general

Stock apps
- Stock apps updated via App Store independently of major iOS updates
- Redesigned Safari (address bar moved to bottom) with downloads manager
- Snooze capability and Mail Rules in Mail
- New filters in Camera/Photos
- Faces in Photos synced across devices
- Contacts app overhaul, social integration, Apple profile, group sharing?
- iTunes Store app dismantled into umbrella apps e.g. Movies, Books, Podcasts
- Reminders app overhauled to be more powerful

That's about all I can think of for now!

robertkarlsen

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
Halmstad, Sweden
Ok, so i feel i need to make an updated list, now when i´m sitting by my computer.

My first version was written from my "smartphone" (iPhone7+) in the middle of the night.

My top 10 list:

1. Dock: I feel like we need a redesigned dock. Like the one on macOS Sierra. The one we have today goes from edge to edge. Looks awful. There are several jailbreak tweak for this. RoundDock, Harbor etc...If the jailbreak community can do it, then Apple could as well. And add a "Dock" section inSettings.app...allowing us the set number of icons in dock etc...

2. Mail: Once upon a time...Apple partnered up with google, and had an built in app for Youtube. Well, that app sucked. But i remember, i think, that in those days we had Gmail push in Mail.app...maybe i´m wrong. But we should have it! It´s 2017 damn it! Don´t know if it is a Apple problem or a Google problem, but they should sit down, and starting go get along.

3. Finder: Come on! Serious? Why don´t we have file manager on iPhone? Once again, if you jailbreak, you can have it. EVERY ANDROID PHONE HAS IT! Come on Apple...get that stick out of your a**! I wanna be able to "manage" my files the way i want to. Downloading and opening ZIP-files. Would´nt that be nice?

4. Ringtones: Why is it such a hassle trying to get new ringtones on our phones? Import them to itunes, sync your iPhone etc...Let us download ringtones (.m4r) to our phones, than using FINDER (the feature we want), and copy it to our ringtones-folder! Once again, using jailbreak, this is possible.

5. Bluetooth: Why is it still not possible the use bluetooth fore file transfers, other than Airdrop? Someone said, Apple was blocking this cause people should not share pirated material? That can´t be the real reason, is it? Well, just u heads up Apple...that ship has sailed!

6. Phone.app: Don´t know why, but it feels old as f**k!

7. Lockscreen: I´m not thrilled about it. Do it right!

8. Homescreen grid: Why, why and why can´t Apple let they customers (who paid almost $700 for an iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB) decide how we want to ""design" our homescreens with icons? I want to put my icons where ever i want to! Once again, jailbreak can do it! Android phones can do it!

9. Night mode: As many before me has asked for...night mode. It´s should be my choice if i want it or not. Not Apples.

10. Launchpad: Yea, you heard me....Launchpad! On iPhone! Like this: On Mac, you put icons on your desktop (on iPhone, homescreen), some icons in your dock (on iPhone, well, dock)...but all apps are collected in LAUNCHPAD!!!!! COME ON!! Yes, i know it sound like your random launcher on Android...but i think it actually works great. In fact, in that way, you dont have to look on your homescreen, filled of icons and maps...put everything in "iOS Launchpad", and let us put things on homescreen and dock, just like on mac, and make it "gridless". Apple is the WORLD LEADING in it´s field (imho of course)...and they should be able to make it happend. iOS has been the same thing since 2007! WOW! 10 years...it´s a miracle no one has made Apple do it already!

Well, that was my updated list! There is sooo many small things i would like to change. But i took 10 of them, that makes me lose my mind the most!

Oh, there´s one more thing...

...Camera settings in the actual camera app!

Have a nice one boys & girls!!

Reactions: Dekema2

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Night time/dark mode. iMessage bubble colour options (and iMessage effects support on macOS!).

New version of iOS exclusively for iPad, aimed at bringing many more productivity focused features. iPads should not be running the same version of iOS as iPhone - because then they're just giant iPhones, and that's not helpful.
[doublepost=1492366104][/doublepost]
dark mode, clear cache function

Yes. Dark mode is something I'd say a majority want, and have been asking for, for a long time. Also iOS has a serious issue with apps hoarding cache and eating disk space...needs sorting. Apple need to make it so developers have to include cache clearing functionality in their app/put limits on how much space a singular app can be consuming with extra/cache data.

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
A visible clock that comes on when I plug it in.
An alarm with large control to shut it off. The current one is useless in the morning if you need glasses.
A camera that let's me set the picture's aspect ration. I print a lot of my pictures on 4X6 paper. I'm tired of having to crop every single picture.

daio

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2011
Germany
I would love to see Nightstand mode for my iPhone, just like the Apple Watch. Slightly tap the bedside cabinet etc and the display discretely shows the time, date and your list of set alarms, all on a black background with dark green text. Simple. It can't be that hard can it, the phone has more than enough sensors that would pick that slight movement up.

Suspended
Mar 31, 2017
Customization to Control Center, I rather have an all-in-one swipe up rather than a separate music card.
Siri to not cut you off after mid sentence without a pause.
Be able to turn off off features like the People and Places in Photos.
Download Manager, like others suggested.

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
I would love to see Nightstand mode for my iPhone, just like the Apple Watch. Slightly tap the bedside cabinet etc and the display discretely shows the time, date and your list of set alarms, all on a black background with dark green text. Simple. It can't be that hard can it, the phone has more than enough sensors that would pick that slight movement up.

I don't want the movement. Leave the time display on. A lot of time, if I wake at night, I just ant to peek at the clock.
It's been about a year since I gave up my Nexus 5, but the "Dreaming" setting had a digital clock, white, but pretty dim. The setting took efect when the phone was idle and plugged in. It would display HH:MM. at the change of minute, it would fade out, and then fade in somewhere else, to prevent any kind of burn in. And when the alarm went off, there were 2 visible buttons, in different colours, to snooze or shut off. To achieve anything remotely similar, I had to buy an app.

Heck, I'd be happy if the phone let me specify an app to start when the phone plugged it in and idle.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010

This is one thing that drives me nuts. There is no reason why I should have to go into Settings->Photos&Camera to switch what mode I'm shooting in. I understand they want to keep the in-app UI simple, but there's got to be a way to allow us to switch between video modes in the app.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
Make the Music.app easy and fun to use again!

BgM5QY.gif
The music.app is the clearest representation of why iOS is not so great today. I love my old spare iPhone 4 with iOS 6.

Reactions: IronWaffle

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Bring back Genius playlists!
I know you can make them in iTunes and sync, but I liked making playlists on the fly and used it a ton. I also know they won't bring this back because of Apple Music. But I want it!

ges

macrumors member
May 20, 2016
Customization to Control Center, I rather have an all-in-one swipe up rather than a separate music card.
Siri to not cut you off after mid sentence without a pause.
Be able to turn off off features like the People and Places in Photos.
Download Manager, like others suggested.
Control Center being on two cards bugs me too as invariably chance has it on the wrong card for what I want to do. If they can't make it concise enough for one card it's failing as a swipe-up shortcut.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Mark Gurman said iOS 11 will have a refreshed user interface. I'm excited! Hope we get the macOS icons and a Dark Mode.

Ok, so i feel i need to make an updated list, now when i´m sitting by my computer.

My first version was written from my "smartphone" (iPhone7+) in the middle of the night.

My top 10 list:

1. Dock: I feel like we need a redesigned dock. Like the one on macOS Sierra. The one we have today goes from edge to edge. Looks awful. There are several jailbreak tweak for this. RoundDock, Harbor etc...If the jailbreak community can do it, then Apple could as well. And add a "Dock" section inSettings.app...allowing us the set number of icons in dock etc...

2. Mail: Once upon a time...Apple partnered up with google, and had an built in app for Youtube. Well, that app sucked. But i remember, i think, that in those days we had Gmail push in Mail.app...maybe i´m wrong. But we should have it! It´s 2017 damn it! Don´t know if it is a Apple problem or a Google problem, but they should sit down, and starting go get along.

3. Finder: Come on! Serious? Why don´t we have file manager on iPhone? Once again, if you jailbreak, you can have it. EVERY ANDROID PHONE HAS IT! Come on Apple...get that stick out of your a**! I wanna be able to "manage" my files the way i want to. Downloading and opening ZIP-files. Would´nt that be nice?

4. Ringtones: Why is it such a hassle trying to get new ringtones on our phones? Import them to itunes, sync your iPhone etc...Let us download ringtones (.m4r) to our phones, than using FINDER (the feature we want), and copy it to our ringtones-folder! Once again, using jailbreak, this is possible.

5. Bluetooth: Why is it still not possible the use bluetooth fore file transfers, other than Airdrop? Someone said, Apple was blocking this cause people should not share pirated material? That can´t be the real reason, is it? Well, just u heads up Apple...that ship has sailed!

6. Phone.app: Don´t know why, but it feels old as f**k!

7. Lockscreen: I´m not thrilled about it. Do it right!

8. Homescreen grid: Why, why and why can´t Apple let they customers (who paid almost $700 for an iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB) decide how we want to ""design" our homescreens with icons? I want to put my icons where ever i want to! Once again, jailbreak can do it! Android phones can do it!

9. Night mode: As many before me has asked for...night mode. It´s should be my choice if i want it or not. Not Apples.

10. Launchpad: Yea, you heard me....Launchpad! On iPhone! Like this: On Mac, you put icons on your desktop (on iPhone, homescreen), some icons in your dock (on iPhone, well, dock)...but all apps are collected in LAUNCHPAD!!!!! COME ON!! Yes, i know it sound like your random launcher on Android...but i think it actually works great. In fact, in that way, you dont have to look on your homescreen, filled of icons and maps...put everything in "iOS Launchpad", and let us put things on homescreen and dock, just like on mac, and make it "gridless". Apple is the WORLD LEADING in it´s field (imho of course)...and they should be able to make it happend. iOS has been the same thing since 2007! WOW! 10 years...it´s a miracle no one has made Apple do it already!

Well, that was my updated list! There is sooo many small things i would like to change. But i took 10 of them, that makes me lose my mind the most!

Have a nice one boys & girls!!
Sorry but none of these are happening anytime soon. And Push for gmail is Google's fault.

Uhu

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
Have Network Connections open for an unlimited time (even with dark-screen) when the device is plugged in and loading to sync cloud apps like Dropbox.

Reactions: Feyl

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
The music app was the first thing I "deleted" when I could in IOS 10 - i have no music on my phone.

Suspended
Mar 31, 2017
I would also like the ability to quickly record calls. They could place a button next to speaker or mute. Save the recorded call locally, or even to iCloud Drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.