Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Threejw

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2014
I think they should revamp alot of the stock apps and possably merge some of them.

The phone, messages, contacts, find my friends.

I'd like to see it gets a new modern design with some colors...

The ability to create social groups which u can play games with, u can chat, by audio while playing a game or share ur screen with.. they can see what song ur playing on apple music or spotify... share ur location with them, send a beacon if ur lost or there is an emergncy .. have a dedicated photo album with this group that automaticly shows in the photos app..

its the next level phone... it can be one giant social network that apple didn't know it has.. its perfect for apple because its private.. its not public.
[doublepost=1494770030][/doublepost]I also wish they could bring some stuff from the watch to the iphone, i understand why they want to keep both seperate but atleast for the iphone edition/8 the lock screen could be an interactive clock without the ugly bar at the top.. any design that suites a large screen

soanis

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
Europe
a mini strip with the weather report just like in the widget but WITHIN the screen of the ringing alarm clock, while or right after I press stop/postpone, and with a switch for the setting inside the specified alarm.

I can't be the only one who checks the weather before getting up.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I'm super stoked about iOS 11, which I've never been with any other major iOS update. I am eager to see how efficient it will be and what other features it will offer. June 5th can't come soon enough!

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
They need to bring back slide to unlock. Currently, the press home button to unlock is so frustrating. Especially if your fingers are slightly wet. The fingerprint does not register and it frustrates us with "Try Again" messages at the bottom without showing us the passcode screen.
The dumbest decision ever.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They need to bring back slide to unlock. Currently, the press home button to unlock is so frustrating. Especially if your fingers are slightly wet. The fingerprint does not register and it frustrates us with "Try Again" messages at the bottom without showing us the passcode screen.
The dumbest decision ever.
If you press the home button it should take you to the passcode screen.

Reactions: marvz

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
For iOS 11 I expect :
More Pro features for iPad Pro
Dark mode please
New wallpapers
More stability
New 3D Touch features

Reactions: sdz

Delolia

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2016
Belgium
My wishlist :

- Possibility to choose defaults apps
- Reduce the number of "limited area" features (Transit, Apple news, siri capabilities,..)
- Better home app with features like iftt or Workflow inside
- Dark mode or theming system
- Put the "homekit" menu on action center on the left from the default one (very boring to slide 2 times everytime I need to go in) OR memorise the one you were and open it by default
- Launch the live wallpaper animation on unlock
- Activity, Weather, calculator on iPad
- Better interface for multitasking on iPad
- Ability to customize the action center shortcut
- Ability to create groups in contacts
- better dialer with smart features
- Custom Colors/icons for Folders + private folder/apps
- more discreet volume control (like on youtube app)
- Better low power mode
- Better Data control (like on Android, define limit , reset period etc..)
- More dynamic Widget and Icons

... Thank you :)

Reactions: Shirasaki
More privacy options like:
- disabling internet access (also wifi) for apps
- way to show the safety of a wifi network (not only 'has no wpa2', but also if dnssec is there, and get information about portscans to your device)
- ability to edit your wifi list (now you need to see the network to remove it)

More anti-theft:
- disabling on/off button, so you can only shutdown the phone until after you login
- pictures with both camera's on motion in 'stolen mode'

New technology:
- NFC for apps
- TouchID per finger for apps.
- IPv6 overview and settings for proxy etc.

Multi-user awareness on iPad with child-mode.

Ability to rotate video with fingers even if rotation is disabled for the device itself.

Better integration of FaceTime and the call app... strange it has two.

Provider information, instead of every telco needing to make an app, integrated overview.

Environment:
Less energy usage (less environmental footprint of the device usage; performance improvements!)
Still supporting every device iOS 10 did, and make it even faster.

And finally: a better synchronization of photo's with the Mac. (Try ever leaving photo's on the phone after sync with Photo's and than try removing those later... headaches!).

Last edited:

Ricipedia

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2017
Thats not a feature. Its ugly and obsolete and will never ever get back in iOS.
skeuomorph is NOT ugly!
[doublepost=1495778038][/doublepost]
what kind of features do you want in iOS 11 when it gets announced next year at wwdc ?
Posibility to auto align icons below the screen instead of above. Which means that I van access them easier with my thumb (and one handed)
[doublepost=1495778418][/doublepost]Posibility to auto align icons below the screen instead of above. Which means that I can access them easier with my thumb (and one handed).

YellowZx5

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2014
Vermont
Since the "What do you want to see from Apple in 2017" thread responses seemed to focus mostly on hardware (Mac Pros, Mac Minis, USB iPhones, ...), I thought the new year might be a good occasion to post another iOS 11 wishlist thread (it's been a few months since the last one :) ).

So, as the title says, what do you want to see from iOS in 2017?

My own ever-growing list, most of it copied from the previous thread:

Overall
- Customisable control center
- Ability to change default apps for Mail, Calendar, Contacts, ...
- Widgets on lock screen (so I can see my Runkeeper progress without unlocking, use my iPhone in nightstand mode like the Watch, use my old iPad as a wall-mounted thermostat with HomeKit controls, ...)
- Multiple user accounts on iPad
- Force Touch controls in control center for e.g. Wifi, Bluetooth, ...
- Multi-tasking multiple instances of same app (Safari split screen is a hack, why is this not available for all apps??)
- Password protection at lower levels (specific apps, specific documents, …)
- Missing iPad apps (Weather, Calculator, Voice Memos, Phone, …)
- Some type of file manager or easier way of letting one app access another app’s files
- Ability to control device management / syncing features directly from iOS instead of through iTunes

User Interface
- Dark mode
- Merge long press & 3D touch
- Introduce an "edit" sheet separate from the "share" sheet (it is so confusing to find certain functions hidden under "share")

Siri
- On-device Siri
- Textual input for Siri
- Fully merge Siri with Spotlight - why are there 2 separate search interfaces?

iOS Home Screen
- Rethink the overall combination of Lock Screen, Home Screen, Notification Center, Control Center. Do we still need “apps” to be the main thing on the “home” screen, or can we have a home screen that shows notifications & top apps?
- Ability to add other things than apps to the home screen, e.g. contact persons (especially for older users)
- Smarter method for rearranging icons (e.g. move multiple icons at once, or auto-sort most used to 1st screen)
- Live icons. Apple's own icons (Calendar, Clock, Weather) have been allowed some type of interactivity since iOS 1, why hasn't some API for this been made public?
- Widgets, especially for iPad. The way Android often has the clock and weather right on the home screen seems to work pretty well.

Continuity
- Handoff of ongoing media: transfer an in-progress phone call, transfer a playing movie (not AirPlay, but really transfer), …
- Native support for screen sharing, especially AirPlay from e.g. iPhone to iPad, or using an iPad as secondary display for a Mac like Duet Display
- Use iPhone / iPad as drawing pad for macOS
- A “push” form of continuity (send a user activity to the target device from the source device, rather than the current “pull” form where you start from the target device)
- Allow iPad to access files shared from macOS

Photos
- Sync faces across devices!
- Better user interface for face detection adjustments: A multi-picture "click all pictures of person X" view would work much much faster than the single-picture "is this X? Yes / No" screen that they have now
- Streamlining some interface choices, e.g. why on earth is "not this person" under the "share" sheet? Why are the markup options hidden behind the "more" button? Seriously, has anyone from usability looked at these apps recently?
- Allow albums from the "Albums" tab to also be shared under the "Shared" tab rather than requiring 2 completely seperate albums for private collection vs. sharing
- Tweak the Memories feature to be more targeted at automatic album creation, less at video creation

Contacts
- Manage contact groups on iOS
- System-wide VIP contacts (for Mail, priority Do Not Disturb, …)
- Default app to reach a contact (FaceTime, Phone, WhatsApp, …)

Mail
- Attachments please!!
- Rules for which mails trigger a notification and which not

Music
- Make it more usable for people who only use their local downloaded library, no Apple Music
- Merge the iTunes Store app into the seperate apps for Music, iBooks, Videos, Podcasts, ...
- Some type of light subscription to Apple Music, for those of us who don't listen to Music enough to pony up the full price but still would enjoy the benefit of not having to curate our own library. For example a 2.99$ subscription with only access to a limited library, 6 month delay on recent releases, and only a limited amount of hours per month.

Podcasts
- Support for subscription podcasts
- Better access to older episodes (for podcasts running 10+ seasons you can only access the last 100 episodes or so)
- Better annotation (e.g. automatic transcription, ability to display certain links at certain timestamps within the episode, …)
- Some features for better monetisation (e.g. ads, in-podcast purchase links to apps, …)

Maps
- Offline Maps
- Dynamic re-routing in case of traffic
- Street view

Calendar & Reminders
- Just start paying some active attention to these apps rather than keeping them so basic
- As an aside, I don’t understand what the philosophy is behind having a bare-bones Calendar app and Reminders app (leaving a market for Todoist and Fantastical), but aggressively upgrading Notes every single release.

Facetime
- Group chat
- Screen sharing
- Facetime voicemail
- Sync favourites across devices

Health
- Sync from iPhone to iPad. I know they wouldn't want to sync over iCloud due to privacy concerns, but I would imagine some type of local sync from iPhone to iPad should be possible, just like how the Watch syncs to iPhone
-Allow entry of non-quantitive info, like listing when I sprained my ankle, had a cold, got a flu vaccine, ...
-Multiple profiles - specifically, allow me to enter info for my kids as well. Fevers, childhood diseases, growth, how much milk the baby drank, ...

Settings
- Reshuffle the settings menu.
- Make "Accessibility" a top-level item (so many cool things in there)
- Allow access to settings both from within the app and from within the Settings screen. It's confusing now that many apps require some settings to be handled via "settings" and some via "options" inside the app.
(Specific example of this - why can't I edit the Notifications screen from within the "Notifications" page of the Settings app? Why do I need to scroll down on notifications and press edit?)

I like a lot of this.

What I want to add:

FEATURES:

BACKGROUND RUNNING
Ability to have specific apps run in the background without their apps needing to be open, I.e. Tile and IFTTT

SIRI - Software Based
Simple device only tasks to run offline without network connection
Maybe the ability to separate this from the OS and make this a separate app that is integrated into the OS

Maps - Standalone App
Maps should Be considered an app and separated from the OS and updated like all other apps

Function
Give more to the developers for customization without sacrificing the feel of iOS
Integrate Widgets into the springboard
Ability to tap the date in the control center to pull up the calendar
Same as above for the weather

NFC
Separate the enclave from the rest of the NFC to open that up

T909

Suspended
Aug 16, 2008
Europe
Better phone call interface- if I'm using my phone and I get a call it shouldn't take up the entire screen. I should be able to mute the call and continue using it.

T
his is why I miss Android sometimes.
[doublepost=1495787219][/doublepost]
Late 2010 MBP
I don't understand if it's about iOS or macOS.
I think there is a tiny chance that Late MBP will make it.
I think MacBook Pro mid 2010 will be cut out and also the MacBook

Aman122

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2015
what kind of features do you want in iOS 11 when it gets announced next year at wwdc ?
Video player improvement- default video player on iOS is boring, means lots of functions are missing. New Options to view different quality videos or HD contents, fast forward, volume adjustment on screen should be added.

Maniac180

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2017
It would be awesome to see Do Not Disturb have more flexibility within it's schedules. Something like alarms where you can schedule weekdays different from weekends.

calhob68

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2017
Minnesota
In addition to a permanent number row across the top of the keyboard, it would be nice to have the option to swipe from the right edge of the keyboard (or left if you are left handed) and have a the full keyboard squish together and have a numeric keypad appear for when you want to to enter a lot of numbers. swipe over the numeric keypad to the right and it would disappear. There when you want it, gone when you don't.

Applestock

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
San Diego Area
Same stuff I've wanted for the past 3 years.

- Customizable Control Center with 3D Touch toggles.
- Dark Mode
- Better Copy/Select menus
- Bring back the ability to open control Center to today view automatically.
- Get rid of the iCloud app and make a decent file management app with drag and drop iPad support
- Active icons
- Place Icons where ever
- Contact Group management
- Voicemail Folders and custom greetings per group or contact... they could even sale greetings in the App Store
- Dictation support on 3erd party keyboards
- Offline Maps
- Street View maps
- Consistent UI
- Photos People Syncing, ability to set album key photo from phone, arrange album options.
- Private Password / Touch ID protected photo album
- Better Camera app
- Transit support in my city.
iCloud app is actually decent if you pay for the storage and use it. They'll just keep adding features. Drag and drop would make split screen way more useful though.

Evelyn Harthbrooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
Canada
skeuomorph is NOT ugly!
Posibility to auto align icons below the screen instead of above. Which means that I van access them easier with my thumb (and one handed)
[doublepost=1495778418][/doublepost]Posibility to auto align icons below the screen instead of above. Which means that I can access them easier with my thumb (and one handed).
Skeuomorphism is ugly and it is outdated. I highly doubt it will ever make a return.

idrisinan

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2016
16b3c1e52efb04e07bd21e743df33a89.jpg

Back to this screen

Lappen71

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
skeuomorph is NOT ugly!

Of course it is. That's the reason they dumped it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Of course it is. That's the reason they dumped it.
The reason why they moved on was to have something newer and different. It doesn't necessarily mean anything one way or another about the previous design (aside from it having been in use for some time and people being used to it).
[doublepost=1495896037][/doublepost]
Skeuomorphism is ugly and it is outdated. I highly doubt it will ever make a return.
Kind of like many design and aesthetic elements making returns throughout time in one form or another? Something that is subjective is just that.

Wildhope

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2017
NY
I hope they improve the TV app. I think its the stock app that's really buggy. Ofcourse it could just be my phone but I've had to remove and reinstall it several times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.