iOS 11 Indoor Maps Feature Now Available at More Than 40 Airports and Malls

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting in iOS 11, Apple introduced support for indoor maps for select malls and airports around the world. Indoor maps have been slow to roll out, but Apple has been steadily adding additional mall and airport maps since September.

Apple today began listing indoor maps for malls and airports on its iOS 11 feature availability page, giving us a clear picture of exactly where the indoor mapping feature is available for the first time.

Apple offers indoor maps at 34 airports around the world, in countries that include the United States, the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Hong Kong, the UK, and Canada.

Indoor maps for malls are more limited, but are available in several locations around the United States including Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, San Jose, and Washington, DC.

Apple's indoor mapping feature provides full layouts of each mall or airport location with icons for restaurants, elevators, bathrooms, shops, and other notable landmarks. Different floors are clearly marked, making it easy to navigate through unknown areas.

For airports, Maps users can see the location of gates, terminals security checkpoints, check-in desks, and baggage claim areas, which can be helpful when in a new location. As for malls, stores can be filtered by categories like clothes, beauty, food, and shoes, so it's quicker to find just what you're looking for.

All of the malls and airports where the Apple Maps indoor mapping feature can be used are listed on the iOS 11 feature availability page.

Article Link: iOS 11 Indoor Maps Feature Now Available at More Than 40 Airports and Malls

jshort

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Yet Apple Maps still can’t locate 25% of common businesses, streets or road closures in the US. Too busy focusing on hyper focused things when they’ve missed the big picture.

Starting in iOS 11, Apple introduced support for indoor maps for select malls and airports around the world. Indoor maps have been slow to roll out, but Apple has been steadily adding additional mall and airport maps since September.

Apple today began listing indoor maps for malls and airports on its iOS 11 feature availability page, giving us a clear picture of exactly where the indoor mapping feature is available for the first time.

Apple offers indoor maps at 34 airports around the world, in countries that include the United States, the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Hong Kong, the UK, and Canada.

Indoor maps for malls are more limited, but are available in several locations around the United States including Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, San Jose, and Washington, DC.

Apple's indoor mapping feature provides full layouts of each mall or airport location with icons for restaurants, elevators, bathrooms, shops, and other notable landmarks. Different floors are clearly marked, making it easy to navigate through unknown areas.

For airports, Maps users can see the location of gates, terminals security checkpoints, check-in desks, and baggage claim areas, which can be helpful when in a new location. As for malls, stores can be filtered by categories like clothes, beauty, food, and shoes, so it's quicker to find just what you're looking for.

All of the malls and airports where the Apple Maps indoor mapping feature can be used are listed on the iOS 11 feature availability page.

Article Link: iOS 11 Indoor Maps Feature Now Available at More Than 40 Airports and Malls
Yet

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
I like the look of Apple Maps and for the most part it works fine, but sometimes it just really sucks with getting you to the actual location. Recently I was driving to a shopping mall at night and Apple Maps said to make a left turn, but the mall was to the right. Other than that, it's been pretty good for me.

As for the airport feature, I guess it's nice but I've never had issues finding my way around airports. They are usually labeled pretty well.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
It's nice at the Mall Of America. The biggest issue with getting anywhere in there is walking nearly a mile to get to some of them. The ones you want to go to are always on opposite sides of the mall and different floors.

Geek95

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2016
Albany, NY
It would be nice if Apple could prioritize malls with Apple Stores in them. Apple would theoretically have the contacts for those malls already and could use the stores as staging area for any needed onsite work.

Reactions: ipedro and Maclver

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Surprised Atlanta hasn’t made the airport list. I mean it’s not like they are the busiest airport or anything :rolleyes:
I would suppose that its not entirely Apples choice which to include at this point. It may require a certain level of cooperation or support from the airports. Can't just enter and wander around at will. Perhaps they have solicited info from many... and these are just the first to respond.

Reactions: Maclver and KeithBN

JohnApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2014
Wow, I’m surprised to see DTW on there. Definitely would’ve come in handy with all the travelling I did last summer.

Now just to get the big malls around here... which I doubt will happen any time soon. Apple should at least add indoor maps to every mall that has an Apple Store!

pdaholic

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2011
This will probably be the only destinations for which I’ll use Apple Maps. Apple Maps have let me down one too many times in the past.

ipedro

macrumors 601
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
It would be nice if Apple could prioritize malls with Apple Stores in them. Apple would theoretically have the contacts for those malls already and could use the stores as staging area for any needed onsite work.
Makes sense. They already have staff at these stores. Just give a few of them an extra shift and send out a training video to every store. Then have Apple Store employees walk around the mall with an iPhone or iPad using an augmented reality app to map out the stores and/or cross reference available digital maps provided by the mall.

That would get a lot of mall maps done pretty quickly all around the world.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Still haven’t installed google maps since getting the X.
It was one of my first downloads. Apple Maps STILL, after all the years, screws up and takes me either to the wrong location or can't get me to point B from point A via the quickest, or most convenient, route. It's sad that I still have to use a 3rd party app, like Google Maps, on my X.

Reactions: pdaholic

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2012
I really wonder how things get on Apple maps. It seems, where I live, every Starbucks is on maps but other national chains in the same shopping center aren't. Can companies like Starbucks pay to make sure every store in in the maps? Every Starbucks but some Walmarts aren't, some Home Depot,etc. Just strange.