Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmkwanTV

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2013
Dubai
So as some of you know, I got given the iPhone X early by Apple here in Dubai. I've been playing around with it since Tuesday evening and I've noticed no battery percentage appears now as default on the top. Neither does it show am or pm.

It's also odd how there appears to be lots of empty space down at the bottom of the screen when a keyboard appears.

Feels like I\m getting much less screen real estate than on my iPhone 7 Plus. Screen recording
below.
https://twitter.com/emkwan/status/925945560284172288

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
You sure there isn't a setting to enable battery percent?
[doublepost=1509598424][/doublepost]Also, can you post a screen comparison picture?

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
No battery percentage is well known. Space at the bottom has barely been mentioned, but makes sense for when the keyboard is in use.

onethouwou

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2017
So as some of you know, I got given the iPhone X early by Apple here in Dubai. I've been playing around with it since Tuesday evening and I've noticed no battery percentage appears now as default on the top. Neither does it show am or pm.

It's also odd how there appears to be lots of empty space down at the bottom of the screen when a keyboard appears.

Feels like I\m getting much less screen real estate than on my iPhone 7 Plus. Screen recording
below.

how are triple click accessibility options handled without a home button

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
If there weren’t the empty space, the keyboard would be uncomfortably low down for typing on. I’m sure Apple tested numerous positions to find the best all-round keyboard location for comfort.

Reactions: warden and myscrnnm

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Well, a lot of the reviews say even Apple's own apps aren't optimized for the iPhone X. That being said, you will see a refinement in gestures and UI in subsequent iOS releases. For the time being though, I find a lot of UI decisions on the iPhone X questionable.

Last edited by a moderator:

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
If there weren’t the empty space, the keyboard would be uncomfortably low down for typing on. I’m sure Apple tested numerous positions to find the best all-round keyboard location for comfort.
Pretty sure Apple tested with the keyboard lower.. Guessing it wasn't nice to type with.

But, don't see why Apple couldn't fill that space with something else.. Third party keyboards could probably come up with something unique there too... Maybe a scribble area? or emoji suggestions? or...?

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013

below.

Don't knwo why they didn't use that bottom space for text prediction/emoji bar?

Would have made sense and been a good location to quickly select a full word...

Reactions: Patriks7

MajicSho

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

below.

I watched your video last night mate and here's a question regarding the keyboard having shifted a little upwards compared to the screen realestate, does it actually ruin the experience of typing? Apart from the Cosmetic appearance.
I must say, I think I've only seen oneother person while watching tons of youtubers who has actually recieved the Space Grey device, hope it's the color you wanted.

MajicSho

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
There's room in the top row of each 'ear' for another 2 icons. 4 in total.

To have the option to enable that would be ideal.

I agree with having options, unfortunately Apple are known not to give you many options with regards to customizing their devices, but I would have rather had the option of the battery % indicator instead of the battery symbol itself.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I agree with having options, unfortunately Apple are known not to give you many options with regards to customizing their devices, but I would have rather had the option of the battery % indicator instead of the battery symbol itself.
With regard to the %, I was thinking how they allow the option currently. I agree they err to minimise customisation, but allowing this, as they do now, wouldn't be too loco for Apple. :D

Reactions: MajicSho

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017
I wonder if typing turned out to be quite difficult when the keyboard is at the very bottom of the device.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Don't knwo why they didn't use that bottom space for text prediction/emoji bar?

Would have made sense and been a good location to quickly select a full word...
This would have been my first suggestion, a bar with most recently used emoji or something like that.

kevmclane

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2017
This is the first iOS made for the iPhone X. Obviously there are going to be future refinements and improvements. Just keep making suggestions directly to Apple (or complain more on these forums as it seems Apple monitors them).

Reactions: macsplusmacs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.