Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
So basically if anyone doesn’t agree with you they’re allowed to answer “DURR NEEDS LESS PORTS” or “DURR I’M TOO STUPID TO CARE”. Absurd strawman poll

No. If you note, I went to extremes on both ends. Too hard to come up with multiple choices.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
No. If you note, I went to extremes on both ends. Too hard to come up with multiple choices.

Yes, I did notice. Either agree with you that minimal interfaces are bad or a) too stupid not to take it to an absurd extreme or c) too stupid to notice or care if it does. A and C reflect what you want people who disagree with you to be thinking, but it's not what they're thinking.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Yes, I did notice. Either agree with you that minimal interfaces are bad or a) too stupid not to take it to an absurd extreme or c) too stupid to notice or care if it does. A and C reflect what you want people who disagree with you to be thinking, but it's not what they're thinking.

Go look at my response in that thread. I chose two extremes on purpose. It's obvious Apple itself couldn't choose one of the two "more" and "less/stop" directions, but this is just a way to capture how users lean. If you're a +, or ++, or ++++++!! then vote one way. If you're a -, or --, or -------!! then vote the other way. If you're completely indifferent and willing to roll with the punches, then vote in the middle. Simple as that.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
So if we’re discussing iOS 11 UI specifically — I never got messages like the below from family members until all the unnecessary plastic surgery of iOS started rolling in from Jony and Craig’s team starting in 2013. Those who disagree with me can kid all they want that maybe some people are just not as hip/tricky or technically sophistcated as others, but theyre wrong. Aspects of ios 11 are as crappy as they were with ios 7 and on. Rarely got so many “help me” calls before 2013.

DBE0EBAD-C6B8-4AD0-9C64-7FD20783005D.png

With so many others complaining about the ios11 Podcasts app, this is not new news, but can anybody justify why so much wasted space with two screens are required to see all the podcast controls? Soon as you guess to press the lower right corner to see podcast controls, you’re presented with a window with absolutely zero clue that there are additional controls below. Is this really good UI and if so what am I missing? How could this possibly pass even a beta release stage without any scrutiny? Why does anyone guess it’s even a good idea to need to do something extra to pop out controls instead of see them at all times, like in all the blank white space on the left side? Or am I just a super genius who can see things better than anybody at Apple nowadays?

1BBA4494-BABC-469D-B856-251F85A5BDCF.png

BA7E6A27-2273-4A6F-B89F-AEA07C2BB38A.png

F4BA5774-664D-4137-B71A-2C720ED0E4E0.png

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So if we’re discussing iOS 11 UI specifically — I never got messages like the below from family members until all the unnecessary plastic surgery of iOS started rolling in from Jony and Craig’s team starting in 2013. Those who disagree with me can kid all they want that maybe some people are just not as hip/tricky or technically sophistcated as others, but theyre wrong. Aspects of ios 11 are as crappy as they were with ios 7 and on. Rarely got so many “help me” calls before 2013.

View attachment 725418

With so many others complaining about the ios11 Podcasts app, this is not new news, but can anybody justify why so much wasted space with two screens are required to see all the podcast controls? Soon as you guess to press the lower right corner to see podcast controls, you’re presented with a window with absolutely zero clue that there are additional controls below. Is this really good UI and if so what am I missing? How could this possibly pass even a beta release stage without any scrutiny? Why does anyone guess it’s even a good idea to need to do something extra to pop out controls instead of see them at all times, like in all the blank white space on the left side? Or am I just a super genius who can see things better than anybody at Apple nowadays?

View attachment 725419

View attachment 725420

View attachment 725421
Feel fee to ask Apple about their decisions.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Feel fee to ask Apple about their decisions.

I have and do, my friend. But based on the stunning fact that they can put out complete dreck like this, and have removed user reviews for their apps in the App Store, I really hold out no hope until some radical personnel change occurs. But I’ll keep sending feedback, makes me feel a tiny bit better each time.

Reactions: Feyl

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

A shame that this is the route that Apple is taking going forward.

I think the Music and Podcast Apps are two apps which were changed for the absolute worst since Music's redesign in iOS 10. I say this because the significant downsides are two-fold: 1) unnecessarily bold headers and scaled up text means users are seeing less content at any single instance, and 2) increasingly convoluted sub-menus, action buttons tucked away in random places, and an overhaul so massive many users are left wasting time re-learning how to use the app on their own. How can anyone make a case that this is good design?

Furthermore, another point I want to make is how iOS, as a whole, has generally become less intuitive in many areas as more features get dumped into the OS every year without careful consideration of how to actually make them easy to use to the average layman.

For instance, case in point is 3D Touch. I can bet my entire fortune that a great majority of iOS users don't even know about 3D touch features across the operating system. Why? Because Apple didn't bother to implement it in an obvious way.

No one can look at the static icons on the homescreen of iOS for the first time and know that you can pressure-touch icons to gain access to more controls. No one can look at the iOS keyboard for the first time and know that you can pressure-touch that area to use it as a mouse. And no one can look at lockscreen message notifications for the first time and know that you can pressure-touch the bubbles to directly compose a reply.

One of iOS's UI core foundations is simplicity. It hinges on the notion that people didn't need to be taught about how to use the features of the iOS, because everything was obvious. That also directly mean that if users have to learn/be taught how to do certain things in iOS, Apple's design philosophy had failed itself.

Which is what is happening now.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
A shame that this is the route that Apple is taking going forward.

I think the Music and Podcast Apps are two apps which were changed for the absolute worst since Music's redesign in iOS 10. I say this because the significant downsides are two-fold: 1) unnecessarily bold headers and scaled up text means users are seeing less content at any single instance, and 2) increasingly convoluted sub-menus, action buttons tucked away in random places, and an overhaul so massive many users are left wasting time re-learning how to use the app on their own. How can anyone make a case that this is good design?

Furthermore, another point I want to make is how iOS, as a whole, has generally become less intuitive in many areas as more features get dumped into the OS every year without careful consideration of how to actually make them easy to use to the average layman.

For instance, case in point is 3D Touch. I can bet my entire fortune that a great majority of iOS users don't even know about 3D touch features across the operating system. Why? Because Apple didn't bother to implement it in an obvious way.

No one can look at the static icons on the homescreen of iOS for the first time and know that you can pressure-touch icons to gain access to more controls. No one can look at the iOS keyboard for the first time and know that you can pressure-touch that area to use it as a mouse. And no one can look at lockscreen message notifications for the first time and know that you can pressure-touch the bubbles to directly compose a reply.

One of iOS's UI core foundations is simplicity. It hinges on the notion that people didn't need to be taught about how to use the features of the iOS, because everything was obvious. That also directly mean that if users have to learn/be taught how to do certain things in iOS, Apple's design philosophy had failed itself.

Which is what is happening now.
Agreed. Apple really missed the opportunity to make 3D Touch a revolutionary new way how to interact with our devices. The only actually useful thing about it is the multitasking gesture. Too bad they didn’t recognize it and decided to remove it. But I’m glad they heard us and brought it back!

With the introduction of iPhone 6s our phones got a new ability to sense a new dimension - a pressure. That sounds potentially revolutionary, but the lack of vision and great sense for UI and UX killed it. The saddest part is that other companies don’t seem to bother copying it, because it’s basically a gimmick that can be done through software.

Reactions: AdrianMK

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
At least we dodged something like this right? Or for now until Jony runs out of things to change for iOS 12?

Image-1.jpg

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
iOS 11 just lacks logic, and that's what ruins it all. When something doesn't function logically, it might as well not function at all, or even exist.

Reactions: AdrianMK

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
And yet plenty of people use it and have been using it just fine.
Not exactly. I've heard plenty of complaints about it, and many have asked me questions, most commonly with the App Store and Control Center. They don't understand it, and that's a huge issue. What happened to the Apple that said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." That's my question.

As a side note, it's fun to show people the out of line header in Mail and watch them cringe over it as their OCD kicks in.

Reactions: rui no onna

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not exactly. I've heard plenty of complaints about it, and many have asked me questions, most commonly with the App Store and Control Center.

As a side note, it's fun to show people the out of line header in Mail and watch them cringe over it as their OCD kicks in.
Some certainly have some questions or issues here and there, while many others don't. Fairly typical for a major new version. As for headers and all that, many don't really care enough about it one way or another really, and many of those who do don't really have it affecting their use of the device.

Reactions: jonblatho

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
Some certainly have some questions or issues here and there, while many others don't. Fairly typical for a major new version. As for headers and all that, many don't really care enough about it one way or another really, and many of those who do don't really have it affecting their use of the device.
Why do you think they ask such questions, because Apple changed something for no apparent reason. I've never had people ask questions like, "where is this, where did that go" for versions before iOS 10. 6-9 were pretty similar to one another in their core apps, with a few exceptions, but the changes they made then weren't nearly as drastic and unwanted as a lot of the ones they are pushing now. They are thinking too boldly and it's really taking away from the iOS experience, or at least what's left of it.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
And yet plenty of people use it and have been using it just fine.

It’s exactly kind of shortsighted outlook that results in awful UI’s like we have now. Gee, a family of six can walk around their house at night with the lights off just fine, 2,000 workers an office building can do the same at their place of work, so why shouldn’t everybody be able to navigate with such minimization of helpful cues? I’m just now leaving my mom’s condo, she is beside herself in frustration with the new podcast app on her iPhone 6s for which she has the font size set to be pretty large. I have complained here and elsewhere about horrible space-wasting websites and mobile OS’s, and tonight was a perfect example — so little could be fit on the screen at one time, coupled with very unintuitive cues, that I had a difficult time figuring out how to string along podcasts into a playlist, which she used to do on her own. I’ve never done that myself, so it took me a while to figure it out and it was especially frustrating on her phone were so little was fit onto the screen at one time, and what was there was pretty unintuitive. Explaining to her was impossible and she just threw her hands up in frustration. She literally said, “when you bought me an iPad five years ago, you didn’t have to tell me anything about operating it. What the hell is going on?”

RIP Apple that used to be enjoyable to a wide variety of users.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why do you think they ask such questions, because Apple changed something for no apparent reason. I've never had people ask questions like, "where is this, where did that go" for versions before iOS 10. 6-9 were pretty similar to one another in their core apps, with a few exceptions, but the changes they made then weren't nearly as drastic and unwanted as a lot of the ones they are pushing now. They are thinking too boldly and it's really taking away from the iOS experience, or at least what's left of it.
All kinds of people ask all kinds of questions, even back in iOS 6, and iPhone OS 1 days, and even before iOS. It doesn't necessarily mean something one way or another. There can certainly be arguments made for this or that, but something like people asking questions isn't necessarily a meaningful enough measure to imply much one way or another on its own, at least certainly not something really extreme and absolute like "iOS 11 just lacks logic, and that's what ruins it all. When something doesn't function logically, it might as well not function at all, or even exist."
[doublepost=1508194199][/doublepost]
It’s exactly kind of shortsighted outlook that results in awful UI’s like we have now. Gee, a family of six can walk around their house at night with the lights off just fine, 2,000 workers an office building can do the same at their place of work, so why shouldn’t everybody be able to navigate with such minimization of helpful cues? I’m just now leaving my mom’s condo, she is beside herself in frustration with the new podcast app on her iPhone 6s for which she has the font size set to be pretty large. I have complained here and elsewhere about horrible space-wasting websites and mobile OS’s, and tonight was a perfect example — so little could be fit on the screen at one time, coupled with very unintuitive cues, that I had a difficult time figuring out how to string along podcasts and a playlist, which she used to do on her own. I’ve never done that myself, so it took me a while to figure it out, but explaining to her was impossible and she just threw her hands up in frustration. She literally said, “when you bought me an iPad five years ago, you didn’t have to tell me anything about operating it. What the hell is going on?”

And then there are those who got an iPad 5 years ago and had all kinds of questions about all kinds of things too. Again, it's not necessarily as extreme and/or absolute as it seems to be made out to be.

Reactions: jonblatho

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
All kinds of people ask all kinds of questions, even back in iOS 6, and iPhone OS 1 days, and even before iOS. It doesn't necessarily mean something one way or another. There can certainly be arguments made for this or that, but something like people asking questions isn't necessarily a meaningful enough measure to imply much one way or another on its own, at least certainly not something really extreme and absolute like "iOS 11 just lacks logic, and that's what ruins it all. When something doesn't function logically, it might as well not function at all, or even exist."
And then there are those who got an iPad 5 years ago and had all kinds of questions about all kinds of things too. Again, it's not necessarily as extreme and/or absolute as it seems to be made out to be.

Disagree. Absolutely, this can be used as a comparison tool. I repeat, my 65-year-old mother rarely if ever asked me a single damn thing after I bought her her first iPad around 2011. Wasn’t until around 2013 that question started appearing, and she’s asking me things all the time now after iOS 11. Believe what you want, but consider my words here.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
I think what you aren't understanding is that iOS is no where near as understandable and easy as it was 5 years ago. It's the complete opposite now and it's sad to see.

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017

No, not really.

More like RIP a very, very small percent of iOS users who get offended by OS changes.

And to your other point in another post. People asking “where is this” is not an iOS things. It’s a human nature thing. People over time get used to where something is located and wonder where it went when moved. (Ie you have a store and something on a shelf for 6 years, you move it to another shelf and people will wonder where it went.)

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Oh, and in addition to presenting a increasingly unintuitive interface, Apple is making similarly bad decisions with random reinventions every 12 to 24 months. Just stick with one damn thing that works instead of trying to give something different every so often.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Disagree. Absolutely, this can be used as a comparison tool. I repeat, my 65-year-old mother rarely if ever asked me a single damn thing after I bought her her first iPad around 2011. Wasn’t until around 2013 that question started appearing, and she’s asking me things all the time now after iOS 11. Believe what you want, but consider my words here.
And what does it say when someone else's grandmother was asking things around 2011? (And what if those questions actually declined around 2013 for that person?) Again, we are talking about anecdotal experiences being extrapolated to extreme absolutes to draw/support fitting conclusions.
I think what you aren't understanding is that iOS is no where near as understandable and easy as it was 5 years ago. It's the complete opposite now and it's sad to see.
It seems that those who long for the olden days certainly take things and make them fit the conclusion they wish to draw/support, but it doesn't mean it's really that, at least not nearly to the degree (both in magnitude and scale) that it's all being made out to be in many instances.

Reactions: iSayBoourns

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
No, not really.

More like RIP a very, very small percent of iOS users who get offended by OS changes.

And to your other point in another post. People asking “where is this” is not an iOS things. It’s a human nature thing. People over time get used to where something is located and wonder where it went when moved. (Ie you have a store and something on a shelf for 6 years, you move it to another shelf and people will wonder where it went.)
Give me one good reason as to why it had to change in the first place. 1 reason.

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
Give me one good reason as to why it had to change in the first place. 1 reason.

Because Apple wanted to? Because iPhone OS 1-3 and iOS 4-6 was getting stale?

No one will know or can answer that except for the people who were in charge and had a hand in those changes

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Also, before I helped her, I asked her to do what she was doing and let me watch. Now, next to podcasts can be a plus sign, a cloud sign, and one other thing I believe. Used to be before 2013 or so, common convention would be to make gray any text for say a podcast episode that’s not yet downloaded. Now, with light gray low contrast font colors being used for actionable text and all kinds of other random things, it’s completely confusing as to whether a podcast is downloaded onto the device or not. I spent some time and figured it out eventually, but that’s just it-I had to sit and spend time to figure it out. So frustrated to see my mom not being happy to use a device that used to bring her a lot of joy. I’m more frustrated seeing that tonight than I ever have been over my own critiques of today’s awful Apple experience.
[doublepost=1508194972][/doublepost]
No, not really.

Wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.