Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
that makes no sense.

1) the new design is rumored to be very different from the 4/s design. (size/materials, specs)
2) just because 4/s worked with pre-ios7 design, doesnt mean iphone 8 will suit it.
3) If the looks of the OS are So important to you, then upgrade your phone if u think the new operating system looks ugly with your 5 year old phone:)
1) What I mean by the "iPhone 4's design" is a stainless-steel frame, with Glass front and rear panels. Everyone knows that the size is going to be different, that's a given.

2) Feeding off of what I said in number 1, iOS 6 would look totally fine on it, sleek, functional, with purpose, and no animation lag.

3)
IMG_1968.JPG

Further more, is it really that important to argue over an opinion I have? Like seriously, I hate the way Apple designed iOS 7, and OS X Yosemite. I think it's just absolutely horrible.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
1) What I mean by the "iPhone 4's design" is a stainless-steel frame, with Glass front and rear panels. Everyone knows that the size is going to be different, that's a given.

2) Feeding off of what I said in number 1, iOS 6 would look totally fine on it, sleek, functional, with purpose, and no animation lag.

Except would you want a 4+ year ols Os on the latest hardware? Without all the functions that ios 7-10 have added? Pretty sure the performance would not be the same.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
Yes I understood.:rolleyes: You wrote the old design would be "lag free". You think it's the graphic design that is responsible for "lag"?
If it was written off of iOS 6 and all the new features were added, you would have the old UI, the old animations, which are linear animations that have no lag. As soon as the animation stops it's done, meanwhile the stupid spring animations on iOS 7+ have a bad delay(animation lag) where it takes a second before you can do anything after the animation "finishes".

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Yes I understood.:rolleyes: You wrote the old design would be "lag free". You think it's the graphic design that is responsible for "lag"?

Well to be fair iOS 7+ DOES use more GPU for composing the UI, with various blurs and shadows that ARE rather computationally heavy.

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I don't mind the current design. I think a redesign will just introduce more headaches like when iOS 7 was first released.

Andrewtst

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
Why not? iPhone 8 is the 10th anniversary iPhone. If the rumors are true, and they are going to the iPhone 4's design, they should match iOS with it. If it's an anniversary, then they should really go all out and match everything to the time period, especially if this turns into a big tribute to Steve Jobs, which it probably will. I've said it once, I'll say it again. I hate iOS 7-10's UI and UX... It absolutely sucks! iOS 7+ just isn't fit for the iPhone 4's premium glass and metallic properties, it just doesn't work. This over-simplification period is getting a little out of hand.
Sometimes too simple is too far. I'm a person that still thinks this is a killer user experience even though this stuff is old:

View attachment 671822
You just simply dislike flat design, I got one friend same like you. She hate new iOS, new Android and new Windows 10 design.

But I extreme love flat design, that why I love new iOS design. new Android design and new Windows 10 design. Not the old iOS design, old Android design and not that like of Windows 7 design.

Different people different preferable, for me old iOS design is extremely ugly, same goes to android old design, Windows 7 design still kind of ok.

For me, going back is design big downgrade. Haha!

I love everything flat, it just simply awesome to me. :) I even imagine before how the world will look like if everything flat, include human, animal and plants is flat. :p

30979675611_23877ce9d1_z_d.jpg
30452737205_9a9cebd5c1_z_d.jpg

30951924632_06307bef76_h_d.jpg

Last edited:

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
All the iOS 7 (and above) apologists who proclaim how it's so much better without skeumorphism fail to realize their beloved new UI has: 1. A handset icon from a landline dating back 100 years that most kids have never used, 2. An envelope dating back even longer which again no kids have ever used, 3. A compass?? Really? To denote navigation, once again using a real world metaphor which most young people don't get. 4. And finally a musical note,dating back to sheet music, how quaint.

But nah, we took out the felt and the shadows so it's not skeumorphic anymore!
there's a difference between skeumorphism and symbolism

and those symbols need to make sense to baby boomers and grandparents so they can use the phone withoutmuch thought

those symbols are also used widely outside of ios in our everyday lives

Reactions: risombo

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
You just simply dislike flat design, I got one friend same like you. She hate new iOS, new Android and new Windows 10 design.

But I extreme love flat design, that why I love new iOS design. new Android design and new Windows 10 design. Not the old iOS design, old Android design and not that like of Windows 7 design.

Different people different preferable, for me old iOS design is extremely ugly, same goes to android old design, Windows 7 design still kind of ok.

I love everything flat, it just simply awesome to me. :) I even imagine before how the world will look like if everything flat, include human, animal and plants is flat. :p

30979675611_23877ce9d1_z_d.jpg
30452737205_9a9cebd5c1_z_d.jpg

30951924632_06307bef76_h_d.jpg
Windows wallpaper link please :O

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
If it changes I just hope it doesn't get more like Google's material design which is such a waste of screen space. Someone needs to explain to their design team that huge linespacing and padding does not necessarily mean better or faster reading and comprehension.

Reactions: Tozovac and Costee

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016

Some developers do a great job at making a "3D" design, meaning, not exactly flat, not skeuomorphic, just perfectly in the middle. Windows Aero in Windows 8 preview has to be one of my favorite designs ever. I freaking love this!

windows_8_consumer_preview_theme_by_eggi36-d6smc2g.png

I wish this would've been what Microsoft put into Windows 10. This is just pure gold to me.

Andrewtst

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
Some developers do a great job at making a "3D" design, meaning, not exactly flat, not skeuomorphic, just perfectly in the middle. Windows Aero in Windows 8 preview has to be one of my favorite designs ever. I freaking love this!

I wish this would've been what Microsoft put into Windows 10. This is just pure gold to me.
Lucky it is not. Haha! Windows 8 is half baked design in between Windows 7 + Windows 10, not completed.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

Same here. Also a lover of this Windows 8 window design. Aero glass. Looks just great. Unfortunately, now windows 10 brings glass effect back only a slight bit.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
If Apple introduces an redesign IOS next year, the oldest devices (IPhone 5S and IPad Air 1)will have some trouble with it. Remember what iOS 7 did with A5 devices. I hope they won't introduce it, cause if there is a redesign IOS next year, iPhone 5S and IPad Air 1 owners should be more careful about updating to iOS 11

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If Apple introduces an redesign IOS next year, the oldest devices (IPhone 5S and IPad Air 1)will have some trouble with it. Remember what iOS 7 did with A5 devices. I hope they won't introduce it, cause if there is a redesign IOS next year, iPhone 5S and IPad Air 1 owners should be more careful about updating to iOS 11
One thing doesn't necessarily really imply much about another.

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
iOS6 is the best design in my book, too bad I had to sell it with my old iP5. It looked a lot nicer/user friendly.

Take for instance the volume changer bar on videos - in iOS6, it is dark and thus a lot more transparent against a video picture. In all later versions, it is light, opaque and pretty much obscures the video. Doh, videos usually contain a lot more light than dark. Whouda thought that - surely not Jonny Ive.

Little things like this (and some big ones like the whole skeumorphic design) make me a miss iOS6. :)

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
Doubtful of that. A5 devices or at least mine didn't have a problem with iOS 7 and I had the 4S and iPad Mini 1 at that time. A7 devices are going to be around for a while. A7 devices are still pretty capable little bugers, it's probably going to be quite a while before A7 is out. A6 will die faster because it's 32-bit, but I could be wrong. My iPad 4 is dual core clocked at 1.4GHz and a gig of RAM. That's still crazy in my eyes, but planned obsolescence will probably kill these poor A6 devices really pre-maturely, I always liked all the A6 devices and many people still use them, but the only hold back is it's 32-bit architecture.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
Doubtful of that. A5 devices or at least mine didn't have a problem with iOS 7 and I had the 4S and iPad Mini 1 at that time. A7 devices are going to be around for a while. A7 devices are still pretty capable little bugers, it's probably going to be quite a while before A7 is out. A6 will die faster because it's 32-bit, but I could be wrong. My iPad 4 is dual core clocked at 1.4GHz and a gig of RAM. That's still crazy in my eyes, but planned obsolescence will probably kill these poor A6 devices really pre-maturely, I always liked all the A6 devices and many people still use them, but the only hold back is it's 32-bit architecture.
I have an IPad 4 running iOS 10.2 beta 2 .Its running fine.way better than iOS 9. It's useable . A little laggy sometimes but it's good . I think the 5S will have two more IOS versions :11,12. The limiting factor for IPhone 5S will be 1GB of RAM

Reactions: Dim08
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.