Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

doublep

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2011
Japan
Got this message this morning. Accessory not supported. Nothing was plugged into the lightening port.

Anyone else get this message?

Was the Smart Keyboard attached to the iPad? That message happens when the SmartKeyboard starts to fail.

crazyjorgito

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
No buzz here. That’s a hardware issue. Get it replaced.
If its a hardware fail, this is present in all the iPhone XS/Max that I've tested. I've been today in an apple store and all the phones failed this simple test:
Set the "piano riff" as your default ringtone (it's inside the classic ringtones tab). Play the ringtone at 100% volume, hear the crackling/buzz in the earpiece speaker.
If it's a hardware issue, it's clearly a design flaw.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
If its a hardware fail, this is present in all the iPhone XS/Max that I've tested. I've been today in an apple store and all the phones failed this simple test:
Set the "piano riff" as your default ringtone (it's inside the classic ringtones tab). Play the ringtone at 100% volume, hear the crackling/buzz in the earpiece speaker.
Sheesh, where do you people come up with these extreme "tests"? The crackling sound may be your eardrum tearing...

crazyjorgito

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Sheesh, where do you people come up with these extreme "tests"?
This buzz happens during all phone calls, I just tried a simple way to replicate this issue. In general, people with good hearing have no problem detecting this buzz. Anyway, with the piano riff ringtone its a pretty easy thing to detect for anyone. I urge everyone to try it out.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
This buzz happens during all phone calls, I just tried a simple way to replicate this issue. In general, please with good hearing have no problem detecting this buzz. Anyway, with the piano riff ringtone its a pretty easy thing to detect for anyone. I urge everyone to try it out.
I don't have great hearing, but the people I speak with sound crystal clear on my Xs.

crazyjorgito

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
I don't have great hearing, but the people I speak with sound crystal clear on my Xs.
Don't get me wrong, but I understand that for people that don't have great hearing it might be undetectable. Anyways, if you can do the piano riff ringtone test it would be great to know your case.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Don't get me wrong, but I understand that for people that don't have great hearing it might be undetectable. Anyways, if you can do the piano riff ringtone test it would be great to know your case.
I did try this (ears ringing now). I do detect some distortion. That might be the effect though and not the phone's speaker.

crazyjorgito

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
I did try this (ears ringing now). I do detect some distortion. That might be the effect though and not the phone's speaker.
Thanks for the test!
I’m pretty sure that we are talking about the same issue. I’ve never had this problem with an iPhone. This problem happens with the volume of the iPhone over 70%-100%. Its kind of crazy that something so basic like the earpiece doesn’t perform perfect in such a premium device.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks for the test!
I’m pretty sure that we are talking about the same issue. I’ve never had this problem with an iPhone. This problem happens with the volume of the iPhone over 70%-100%. Its kind of crazy that something so basic like the earpiece doesn’t perform perfect in such a premium device.
Well, ringtones are probably not intended to be hi fidelity in any event and playing them through the earpiece probably magnifies the issue. I would test it out on a piece of music that is intended to be listened to (rather than alert you) and see if you are hearing the same issues. If so, then I'd say you're experiencing some problems...

crazyjorgito

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Well, ringtones are probably not intended to be hi fidelity in any event and playing them through the earpiece probably magnifies the issue. I would test it out on a piece of music that is intended to be listened to (rather than alert you) and see if you are hearing the same issues. If so, then I'd say you're experiencing some problems...
If you listen to the first minute of the following piece of music you will probably hear some of this buzz:

Nevertheless, ringtones should sound perfectly in a +1K$ phone.

Risonanza78

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2015
Hi All, sorry for my quest, I have a upper speaker issue, dont working speaker durino the listen to music, I must switch on turn off, and after it restart, it work, but after a small time the speaker issue came back.

ram130

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
New York

I hear it now. Since it’s only the XS. This is totally hardware. The speakers are overloaded and can’t handle low end properly at high volumes. Lowering the volume you’ll see it gets clear. The slight buzz can be fixed with software.

Reactions: roncron

crazyjorgito

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
I hear it now. Since it’s only the XS. This is totally hardware. The speakers are overloaded and can’t handle low end properly at high volumes. Lowering the volume you’ll see it gets clear. The slight buzz can be fixed with software.

Thanks for the answer!
I think too that this is a problem of overloading the earpiece speaker. The more people I talk to the more it seems to be a pretty spread issue. I just hope that Apple can solve this somehow and say publicly that they are working on this.
Anyway, it really bothers me because it happens in every single phone call that I have (I’ve tried with other XS and it’s exactly the same...)

mngdew

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2015
California
Thanks for the answer!
I think too that this is a problem of overloading the earpiece speaker. The more people I talk to the more it seems to be a pretty spread issue. I just hope that Apple can solve this somehow and say publicly that they are working on this.
Anyway, it really bothers me because it happens in every single phone call that I have (I’ve tried with other XS and it’s exactly the same...)

I just tested this on my XS. Mine doesn't have this issue.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Sorry for a dumb question, but I’m new to Apple’s Beta program.

When an official release comes out, what do I have to do to be able to download it?

And then what do I do to get back on beta?

Or, is it smart and I don’t have to do anything?

mngdew

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2015
California
Sorry for a dumb question, but I’m new to Apple’s Beta program.

When an official release comes out, what do I have to do to be able to download it?

And then what do I do to get back on beta?

Or, is it smart and I don’t have to do anything?

Just delete the beta profile.

jtkboston

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
My voice-activated Siri shortcuts stopped working. Worked OK yesterday, not today. Same iOS version (beta3), iPhone XS. Restarting phone didn’t help.
For example, shortcut is “Send coming home”. Instead of running my shortcut to compute ETA and send it to my spouse, now Siri says “who do you want to send it to?” with “coming home” in a text message draft. ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.