Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
Petty sure laptop batteries are much bigger with more cells which plays a difference.

I don't think the size of the battery is the issue. The core of the problem is likely driven by the way cell phone chips like Apple chips are designed. For instance, Intel laptop and desktop chips have 4 cores and have a gradual clock stop pattern where they walk up and down in a prescribed pattern.

Apple chips like the A12 Bionic have some "low clock" cores and other "high performance" cores. I'd imagine that for limited tasks the higher performance cores are completely turned off to lower battery consumption. Turning on the higher performance cores quickly though probably requires a lot of instant power and things are likely stable once they are on.

If Apple brings this design to laptops like everyone wants then we will see this issue spread to MacBooks...

KevinN206

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Less to do with thin, more to do with power demands from faster devices.
Being thin means less battery capacity. Apple is asking a 1800 mAh battery to do more with its high-performance processor. To put that into perspective, the Sony Z3 Compact is smaller in length and width but thicker by 1.3 mm. It has a 2600 mAh battery or 44% more battery capacity. How is that possible on a 4-year old phone?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Being thin means less battery capacity. Apple is asking a 1800 mAh battery to do more with its high-performance processor. To put that into perspective, the Sony Z3 Compact is smaller in length and width but thicker by 1.3 mm. It has a 2600 mAh battery or 44% more battery capacity. How is that possible on a 4-year old phone?

There’s more to do with size than just thickness.

Edit: To be more clear, there are a lot of things that take up the height and width. Much bigger Taptic Engine, for example. Bigger chip, too.

Jimmy Bubbles

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Nashville, TN
Petty sure laptop batteries are much bigger with more cells which plays a difference.
As a former technician, yes and no. Yes, I see your point. However, both batteries, regardless of size, are consumable will eventually need replacing. Even batteries in Macs reach a threshold of cycles that qualify them for replacement upon being "consumed" or "battery failure".

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As a former technician, yes and no. Yes, I see your point. However, both batteries, regardless of size, are consumable will eventually need replacing. Even batteries in Macs reach a threshold of cycles that qualify them for replacement upon being "consumed" or "battery failure".
Sure, that applies as well, but the time it might take to get to that and the level to which that degradation can affect things can potentially differ when different amounts of power might be available.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
Apple definitely needs to communicate what is going on here a lot better.

My iPhone 6s had a battery replacement in February of 2018 by Apple and has 97% capacity and is already experiencing shutdowns.

IMG_DFC2FDB1FAF3-1.JPEG

My iPhone X has an older battery (still on its factory battery for over a year) has 91% capacity and isn't experiencing shutdowns.

IMG_8660.PNG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.