Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

cansuds

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2018
ios12 Bug:
I can’t play explicit music either. I went through every tab on the restrictions menu - and nothing. No solution. Restart doesn’t fix it either.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
I have a badge on my Settings icon indicating that I have a software update to install... but according to Settings > General > Software, I am running the latest version of iOS... it showed up on my iPhone 8+ some time last week, and now got carried forward to my iPhone XS Max. Anyone know how to remove the badge?
Sign out of iCloud and back in seems to be the fix in previous betas. Give that a try.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Sign out of iCloud and back in seems to be the fix in previous betas. Give that a try.

Tried that already. It cleared the icon off of the Settings app... but left it on the General option within Settings... and as soon as I went to Settings > General, it re-enabled the badge on the Settings icon. :mad::mad::mad:

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Has anyone at Apple tested the use of the Lookup feature on words typed into an iMessage notification sheet’s quick reply?

It doesn’t work.

All the bugs I report... I really wish I were paid for it.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Tried that already. It cleared the icon off of the Settings app... but left it on the General option within Settings... and as soon as I went to Settings > General, it re-enabled the badge on the Settings icon. :mad::mad::mad:
Is it asking you to setup Apple Pay or run a backup? That will cause the badge too. It is annoying for that to be displayed all the time.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Is it asking you to setup Apple Pay or run a backup? That will cause the badge too. It is annoying for that to be displayed all the time.

Nope. Been all over it... Apple support suggested wiping and reinstalling everything... Gonna just live with it, as it should go away with the next update, hopefully... Just one of life's little annoyances.

Reactions: sbailey4

Bobosita

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2018
Georgia
IMG_0576.PNG IMG_0577.PNG Any ideas how to resolve this?

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Trying to tap-drag downward to highlight a sentence while editing/composing a text message causes the keyboard to go away.

This is exactly the kind of gesture conflicts I’ve been warning about.

Apple clearly needs to either hire me... or actually pay attention to their own QA!! The number of bugs and usability problems I spot within the first few days (let alone a week) of using a new iOS version is not a small number, especially for a “final release”. Worse is that some of this stuff isn’t even new to iOS 12; some of these problems came from iOS 11. Then there are the problems that originate from iOS 7 that are still not fixed in SIX YEARS.

Yes, I report it all. No, they’ve never once written to ask for more info. No, I’ve not seen more than one bug go away (Safari’s tab previews seem to consistently work these days).

Apple clearly are missing these very obvious things or blatantly ignoring their own QA people’s reports. iOS 12 reliability and usability is NOT an improvement in any way over iOS 10. I’m having more problems now than I did with iOS 10.

I avoided iOS 11 for this reason, but all the “it’s great” and “it’s faster!” commentary won me over. This has nothing to do with early adoption. When bugs are still present after SIX YEARS, the user shouldn’t have to hear “it’s your fault for installing the point zero first release!”

I maybe need to avoid “upgrades” eternally. The problem is, that eventually will result in ceasing to use Apple products entirely.

Yes, I’m aware I’m ranting. This is causing me Microsoft Windows-levels irritation at this point. I moved to Apple products to get away from this BS, not to endure more of the same from an even more arrogant and more insular monstrous corporation.

I hate computers. The whole industry is lazy, arrogant, greedy poison. Stop obsessing over stock prices and start obsessing over product quality.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Trying to tap-drag downward to highlight a sentence while editing/composing a text message causes the keyboard to go away.

This is exactly the kind of gesture conflicts I’ve been warning about.

Apple clearly needs to either hire me... or actually pay attention to their own QA!! The number of bugs and usability problems I spot within the first few days (let alone a week) of using a new iOS version is not a small number, especially for a “final release”. Worse is that some of this stuff isn’t even new to iOS 12; some of these problems came from iOS 11. Then there are the problems that originate from iOS 7 that are still not fixed in SIX YEARS.

Yes, I report it all. No, they’ve never once written to ask for more info. No, I’ve not seen more than one bug go away (Safari’s tab previews seem to consistently work these days).

Apple clearly are missing these very obvious things or blatantly ignoring their own QA people’s reports. iOS 12 reliability and usability is NOT an improvement in any way over iOS 10. I’m having more problems now than I did with iOS 10.

I avoided iOS 11 for this reason, but all the “it’s great” and “it’s faster!” commentary won me over. This has nothing to do with early adoption. When bugs are still present after SIX YEARS, the user shouldn’t have to hear “it’s your fault for installing the point zero first release!”

I maybe need to avoid “upgrades” eternally. The problem is, that eventually will result in ceasing to use Apple products entirely.

Yes, I’m aware I’m ranting. This is causing me Microsoft Windows-levels irritation at this point. I moved to Apple products to get away from this BS, not to endure more of the same from an even more arrogant and more insular monstrous corporation.

I hate computers. The whole industry is lazy, arrogant, greedy poison. Stop obsessing over stock prices and start obsessing over product quality.

Don't assume that Apple is not testing and not finding these bugs. No doubt, like every other s/w developer working with large amounts of code, they prioritize their problem reports based upon their perceived urgency to fix. Every identified problem should be documented but not every identified bug will get fixed. It's a matter or resources (engineers & schedule) and economics. (I base this on my background as a retired s/w systems engineer/architect with 40+ years experience with very large-scale systems).

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Don't assume that Apple is not testing and not finding these bugs. No doubt, like every other s/w developer working with large amounts of code, they prioritize their problem reports based upon their perceived urgency to fix. Every identified problem should be documented but not every identified bug will get fixed. It's a matter or resources (engineers & schedule) and economics. (I base this on my background as a retired s/w systems engineer/architect with 40+ years experience with very large-scale systems).

This is apologetics and special pleading. Bugs that infringe upon daily use should not last for six years and six major releases. This is a clear indicator of a broken development process.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
This is apologetics and special pleading. Bugs that infringe upon daily use should not last for six years and six major releases. This is a clear indicator of a broken development process.

No, it's not apologetics or pleadings. It's reality, the way it works.

Reactions: C DM

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Reality can be referred to in all kinds of ways, but it still stays reality nevertheless.

Bezares

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
México
Performance issue.
Hello, I would like to know if somebody has performance issues in iPhone X with iOS 12 in general.
For example: I take a photo with lock screen, unlock iPhone to send the photo and all the system is laggy, it wasn't like that in iOS 11.

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
By using Apple’s SmartKeyboard. Clearly they didn’t bother testing this use case. Again.

EDIT: Which I find rather bothersome, especially since Apple and Tim Cook have promoted iPad Pro as a laptop replacement. Using my iPad Pro 12.9” as a laptop replacement is why I RELY on CMD-TAB functionality. I’m currently being irritated by this very bug as I sit here reviewing someone’s writing and chatting with them about it.

EDIT 2: Quite frankly, it utterly ruins half the value of having a SmartKeyboard and doing multitasking. This is already problematic when keyboard shortcuts spontaneously don’t work at all (like in Safari when I have to disconnect and reconnect the keyboard to get them working again). Back when I was a Windows user, I stopped customizing Windows because I realized Microsoft doesn’t test anything but the defaults. Well, Apple QA is guilty of this now, and that includes not testing use cases involving their OWN accessories they promote as enhancing the value of the base product.

No issue for me and I use my IPP for circa 6hrs a day. I don’t know or use all the Smart Keyboard shortcuts. But I use CMD-TAB a lot and I haven’t had any issues.

4df7ba4a74490e0cfe416314b6bc2248.jpg

I leave my Smart Keyboard permanently connected. Do you and if you’re having connection issues have you checked the contacts are clean?

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
No issue for me and I use my IPP for circa 6hrs a day. I don’t know or use all the Smart Keyboard shortcuts. But I use CMD-TAB a lot and I haven’t had any issues.

4df7ba4a74490e0cfe416314b6bc2248.jpg

I leave my Smart Keyboard permanently connected. Do you and if you’re having connection issues have you checked the contacts are clean?

Thanks for discussing this and showing a screen shot. Are all of those active apps? None have been manually closed by you?

Yes, I leave my Smart Keyboard connected all the time too. The contacts are clean. Until iOS 12, it has always behaved the same way: From day one (when the Smart Keyboard first came out), there’d be random occasions of the shortcuts not working (noticed most in Safari). When it happens, I can still type and use arrow keys. I suspect it’s a focus issue, actually, but no taps (nor tab) seem to put focus in the right place, if that’s the issue.

I’ve lived with the shortcuts weirdness, hoping Apple would get around to fixing it some day. Hah. The problem with CMD-TAB started in iOS 11, according to an old iOS 11 beta article. I’ve never used a beta, and I’ve never had iOS 11. Adding this problem with iOS 12 is severely hurting my keyboard workflow. Rebooting the device didn’t change anything. I don’t want to attempt a device wipe to end up with nothing fixed. Apparently that’s the only real tech troubleshooting Apple does.
[doublepost=1538111817][/doublepost]Unrelated to the above:

I found another two bugs on my trip to Philly tonight: the Bluetooth icon in the status bar does not appear, ever, even when Bluetooth devices are connected and active.

Seen someone post about it elsewhere. The first thing people said to that person was “this is a feature. They no longer show the icon when Bluetooth devices aren’t connected.” That’s NOT the issue. Devices ARE connected and the icon never appears.

The second bug this evening is the speech to text button behaving bizarrely. What’s the proper state of it? White or gray? I’ve found that it gets into an indefinite state and I have to press it several times to get it toggled to listen. Was connected to car Bluetooth and USB at the time.

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
Thanks for discussing this and showing a screen shot. Are all of those active apps? None have been manually closed by you?

Yes, I leave my Smart Keyboard connected all the time too. The contacts are clean. Until iOS 12, it has always behaved the same way: From day one (when the Smart Keyboard first came out), there’d be random occasions of the shortcuts not working (noticed most in Safari). When it happens, I can still type and use arrow keys. I suspect it’s a focus issue, actually, but no taps (nor tab) seem to put focus in the right place, if that’s the issue.

I’ve lived with the shortcuts weirdness, hoping Apple would get around to fixing it some day. Hah. The problem with CMD-TAB started in iOS 11, according to an old iOS 11 beta article. I’ve never used a beta, and I’ve never had iOS 11. Adding this problem with iOS 12 is severely hurting my keyboard workflow. Rebooting the device didn’t change anything. I don’t want to attempt a device wipe to end up with nothing fixed. Apparently that’s the only real tech troubleshooting Apple does.

Yes they were all open apps. I opened a few and used them all for a couple of minutes each then, with the aid of my son as I couldn’t hold CMD-TAB and take a screenshot at the same time, took the screenshot.

Flicking from app to app is fine. I’m on 12.1 though so not sure if that has anything to do with it. But I’ve not had an issue at all with it throughout iOS 11 betas and 12 betas.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Now I’m noticing that the Safari text edit bugs are even interrupting spelling correction. Tapping on a misspelled word results in the red highlight, a brief popup of the correction suggested, and then both vanish.

I can repeat this over and over once it happens, but I cannot force it to happen on this forum (I definitely CAN on Apple Insider comments, AND on Apple’s own feedback forms, both of which are egregiously bad with autocorrect problems... and you’d think Apple could’ve bothered to test their own forms).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.