Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just one week before Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Jose, California, where the company is expected to introduce iOS 12, several graphic designers have created their own fanatical concepts.

The latest comes from Michael Calcada, a fourth-year design student at York University and Sheridan College in the Toronto, Canada area.

siri-sight-4-800x544.jpg

Calcada's concept envisions several changes and additions to iOS, including an all-new "Siri Sight" augmented reality mode with overlays of useful information on stores, restaurants, transit stops, landmarks, and other points of interest, in addition to timely information such as road closures.

"As I believe augmented reality is a technology that will be fundamental to the future of digital interaction, I integrated AR into the core of the iOS experience, providing new innovative and intuitive ways to interact with your digital and physical worlds at once," said Calcada, who shared his video with MacRumors.

Calcada's concept also envisions grouped notifications, a notification dot in the status bar, more granular controls in the default Camera app, a systemwide dark mode, FaceTime group chats, improved volume controls, and a general makeover to iOS that has some promise, even if it is not entirely realistic.

siri-sight-2-800x464.jpg

Any improvements to Siri would be welcomed, as multiple reports have suggested that Apple's assistant has fallen behind its rivals, including Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. A recent survey also found early adopters of the iPhone X to be impressed with all of the device's major features, except Siri.

In terms of the expanded augmented reality capabilities, they could be be better suited for iOS 13, as rumors suggest Apple will release at least one iPhone with a triple-lens rear camera system in 2019. The triple-lens array would reportedly enable both expanded zoom and 3D sensing for augmented reality.

siri-sight-3-800x466.jpg

As with most concepts, this one is unlikely to look like Apple's actual version of iOS 12. But with only a week remaining until the WWDC keynote, which MacRumors will be attending, it's fun to look at fan-made mockups.

Stay tuned to MacRumors for live, on-scene coverage of the WWDC 2018 keynote on Monday, June 4, beginning around 8:30 a.m. Pacific Time.

Article Link: iOS 12 Concept Augments the World With New 'Siri Sight' Mode

asdavis10

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Bermuda
Hopefully Apple put this much thought into iOS12. Because iOS11 (especially on iPhone X) seemed like an afterthought.

Reactions: johnmed
Comment

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Portland, Or
While there’s a lot to like in this concept. It proves to me that the botch was a better design decision than that awkward bezel. And so many of the executions were clunky and took away from the few simple elegant things iOS does well. Looked like a weird iOS skin trying to be android or vice versa

Reactions: ILikeAllOS
Comment

Ellis.adam

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2016
I think this is the best rendition I have seen. It takes what everyone has been asking about for years and also adds more. Plus it looks great without changing too much.

Comment

Whathappened

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2018
While there’s a lot to like in this concept. It proves to me that the botch was a better design decision than that awkward bezel. And so many of the executions were clunky and took away from the few simple elegant things iOS does well. Looked like a weird iOS skin trying to be android or vice versa
Thank you for explaining the meaning of a concept in far too many words...

Comment

sos47

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2016
this is a cool concept. i like photo app enhancements and AR.

Comment

nwcs

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
There are some nice ideas there. I'm sure we will see a few of them over time. Personally, I'm tired of the total flatness UI mandate of the last few years. I'd like to see a bit of texture added and more obvious control design language.

Comment

jonblatho

macrumors 68010
Jan 20, 2014
Missouri
Some of the ideas aren’t too bad. But it looks absolutely atrocious and some of the execution is just awful. Here’s a list of errors/questionable choices I was able to pick out:
  • “The world’s most advanced operating system finally caught up.” So is it the most advanced or not? “Caught up” implies it’s even.
  • The skew animation at 0:11 looks beyond fake. You don’t want static items on-screen in a video usually, but it’d have been better off here.
  • Magic additional bezels appear at 0:13.
  • What’s up with the lock screen? Did we forget what padding is?
  • The padlock at 0:16 is unlocked but the text at the bottom says “Swipe up to unlock.”
  • The high and low temperatures in the weather widget to the left of the clock are next to unreadable even after we’re zoomed in closer to the phone.
  • Why should I have to tap a button to expand my notifications out of the “Notification Hub”?
  • What do we really get out of having notifications sent when an iMessage contact is typing? Snapchat does this (unreliably, I might add), and it’s obnoxious.
  • Letter spacing is different between the two Messages notifications at 0:28.
  • New gestures. What does swiping up from the center do that swiping up from the left or right bottom corners can’t? Are they combined into one? If so, why?
  • How are these new gestures communicated to the user?
  • Why is there a battery percentage icon right next to the battery in the status bar?
  • Why on Earth are the clock/weather/battery widgets arranged differently depending on which gesture is used?
  • No chance the camera would be in use constantly on the lock screen. It’d kill the battery in a heartbeat.
  • This matrix of controls at the bottom of the camera app is atrociously organized and, for most users, wildly unnecessary.
  • “Verticle” home screen? I get that not everyone’s a great speller, but this video was published with that mistake?
  • iOS isn’t going to allow users to change the app icon shape for myriad reasons, but if that did happen, why require users to enable it to get the slider? Why not just have the slider snap to the default?
  • What are the status bar customization options that also won’t happen? They’re never shown.
  • The waveform in Apple Music is hilariously bad. One of the core concepts in Apple’s HIG is deference, and that is not deferent. It draws my eyes away from the main content of the screen.
  • Dark mode looks…not that different from not-dark mode in the system UI except for the apps shown.
Yet some of the people complimenting this have almost certainly complained at some point about Apple not paying enough attention to detail in QC. Goodness.

Last edited:
Comment

GermanSuplex

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2009
It’s a nice concept... but I think first Apple needs to fix the existing incarnation of Siri.

Exactly what I was going to say. Its not bad, but it needs work. I haven't tried other assistants, but I hear Siri is lacking. There hasn't bee a great, overhwelming amount of improvement since its release. Even something as routine as asking Siri to play a specific songs can be complicated when dealing with a large library with lots of similar/duplicate titles. Sometimes its easier to just manually select the song.

Comment

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Awesome!!!
[doublepost=1527544493][/doublepost]Dude, what is wrong with You? It is an imagined concept. If you think you can point out so many "errors" why don't you do something better?:rolleyes:

Reactions: NVD and Adam620
Comment

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
Awful!
Why does the "AR bar" (that's what I'm going to call it) take up a quarter of the top of the screen in the video? :eek:
Why did he redesign all the icons to look like cheap, cartoony icons you would find from someone who just made their second icon pack ever for XP and uploaded it in 2006 to Deviantart? Why is everything made of pastel colors? Speaking of icons and pastels, why did he change the Siri button to a static icon and used 2 different siri icons on the same screen; one that is white with rainbow colors and one that is square shapped, with a rainbow color background and a white microphone? Why did he add the ugly black bezel to the top to hide the notch when it just looks even more distracting, hence why Apple didn't go with that in the first place? I'm not going to bother with the rest.
About the only thing I like is the way he grouped all notifications from the same app together on the lockscreen and color coded their headers. And I guess the weather icon in the upper left of the lockscreen is ok...

Comment

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
HAD ME AT “GROUPED NOTIFICATIONS” I MISS IT SO MUCH. I DONT KNOW WHY APPLE TOOK THAT AWAY.

Comment

jarman92

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2014
Definitely some good and bad here. What I'm most struck by is how Apple has consistently refused to make the easiest and most in-demand changes year after year: still no grouped notifications, still no group FaceTime, and still stuck with the horrendous volume UI.

Comment

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Quite like the idea of being able to choose ISO etc in Camera mode without having to revert to a third party app.

Some great ideas there; is/was there an app that has something similar to the AR concept? Think it was on Samsung phones at one time?

Comment

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Hopefully Apple will just focus on making Siri function in the first place instead of doing gimmicky crap like this. I'm SO sick of Siri not knowing anything that I ask her or understanding any of my commands. She's just a braindead piece of junk that doesn't do anything correctly.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.