iOS 12... how slow is it on the SE and below?

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by comda, Sep 17, 2018.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Greetings.

Before i update i always like to check between the previous and current IOS versions on their speed and performance. So far, on youtube there are a lot of videos comparing Beta ios 12 to 11 but not todays most recent release. Can anyone weigh in on this?

Got a "new" (replacement with 90 day warranty SE) cause the other one looked like a NES game cartridge had been put it in wrong and it artifacted. Kinda want this to last, and if 12 is going to slow it down, i don't want to be apart of it. Dont need a repeat of the iPhone 4s getting iOS 9.

Best regards,
    Comda

2. danbcooper macrumors member

Just updated my iphone 6s from 10.3.3 to 12. So far so good, it’s at least as fast as before. I will have to test it for a few days to see how’ the battery life.

3. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

On my SE, I have only used iOS 12 for about five minutes, but have been impressed so far about the responsiveness.

I am coming from iOS 10. I was scared to upgrade to iOS 11, due to all the bad things I have read about it, and seeing how sluggish it made some of my friends and family members’ iPhone, but iOS 12 seems to be what iOS 11 should have been.

BTW, I used to upgrade to a new iOS on all my devices usually about a few months after the launch, but after iOS 9 crippled my iPad Mini2, I have been scared to upgrade any of my Apple devices.

4. Baldilocks macrumors 6502

Baldilocks

It's smooth and quick even on my 5S. You should have no problems.

5. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

12 on the SE is NOTHING like 9 on the 4S.

I ran the GM and it was better than iOS 11.

Thats the 6S - so the SE should be the same if not better due to less pixels to push.

6. Feenician macrumors 603

Feenician

7. nox5 macrumors 6502

8. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Scrolling and app opening seems slower to me.

9. friednoodles Suspended

10. Norbert Mikołajczyk macrumors regular

Norbert Mikołajczyk

Faster than iOS 11, dunno if it is faster than 10.3.3. Youtube videos show similar speed to 10.3.3.
    Battery life? Who knows, there is so many variables and the new battery statistics are hard to interpret and compere...

11. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Subjectively faster on the 5S, but I’m a bit concerned about battery usage.

12. nikusak macrumors regular

iOS 12 is great on iPhone 6s which has the same internals as SE.

Update and stop worrying.

13. strawbale macrumors 6502

So should be OK on iPad mini 3 (similar A7) as well, you think?

14. kirreip, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018

kirreip macrumors regular

Have installed ios 12 yesterday on my SE. It works well, seems very responsive. Actually, this is the first time I have installed a .0 version on my iPhone. Usualy I wait the .1 update. But this time I thought: Mostly "under the hood" improvements, let's go for it (ios 12 is what ios 11 should have been). Not regretting so far. Battery life seems good (normal) so far, but I need to test a few days.

15. droog Suspended

droog

My se and iPad mini 2 are having weird issues with websites loading only partially or the page will go blank while scrolling. It’s happening across multiple browsers. Weird animation glitches when switching apps. Slight speed increases maybe? I don’t really feel much increase from 11

16. Baldilocks macrumors 6502

Baldilocks

It definitely uses more battery with iOS 12 on the 5S.

17. Dimlaith macrumors newbie

My iPad mini was the same on iOS 11 and is still the same o. 12. My SE seems great on 11 so am going to leave it as is.

18. droog Suspended

droog

Yeah it's looking like the most improved phones are those later ones with 3GB of ram. Hopefully they can clean up the scrolling bugs on 12.1 but so far I am regretting the upgrade on my Ipad mini 2 and it's been so-so on my SE

19. Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

SE is faster on my phone, 11 wasn't terrible, 12 much better.

20. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

I did a clean install via DFU mode on friday. So far im greatly impressed. I went from iOS 9 to 11 (i liked having 32 bit app support but needed to upgrade the phone was acting up bad even after wiping it) and speed wise, i see plenty of improvements. So far so good.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2018 ---
    Its only been 2 days, and I have personally noticed no changes in battery life, but ill keep it in mind.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2018 ---
    Thank you to everyone who posted for their input. I've done a clean install and rather impressed by the settings. Apple seems to push the 2FA option and like usual the annoying stuff like turning on iCloud back up has turned itself on again. But after some setting up, it looks like iOS 12 has definitely had some much-needed improvements. Hopefully apple can continue to put out good updates like this. Again, thanks.

21. aKansasKid macrumors regular

Works fine on my 6 and my SE. The 6 was on 10.3.3, and the SE was on 11.4.1. Usage is Safari, iMessage, phone, camera, a few light apps (bank, forums, Sudoku).

22. Kalloud macrumors regular

I also have a 6s on 10.3.3.
    What's your feedback so far?
    Is iOS 12 as fast as 10.3.3?
    And what about battery life?
    Thank you so much!

23. torakaru macrumors member

torakaru

Thanks @danbcooper ; BTW, are you suffering any overheating with the new iOS12?

iPhone 6s overheating after upgrading to iOS12

24. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 603

T'hain Esh Kelch

iOS12 is amazing on an 5S, which has a 2 year old slower SOC than the SE, so you won't have anything to fear.

25. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Like some others who posted recently in other threads, my battery life has decreased (on a brand new SE I’ve only had a few weeks). It’s been lasting for 5-6 hours of on screen usage if I’m lucky. I also noticed that opening apps and scrolling seemed a bit slower than iOS 11, but maybe that’s an illusion from the animations.